• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good News to 1990s vehicle owners...

Ted

My Dear Friends,

I thought of publishing an article kind of a thing to a particular community who use vehicles manufacd in 1990's with a huge expectation to relaunch their vehicles as they were in those days but still struggling. Merely due to this reason they tend to sell the vehicle and go for a budget vehicle ( indeed if they could invest more, then they could have bought a luxury car ryt? who then are not in this community). Why they are struggling? Because,

1) Due to lack of knowledge of repair or non availability of quality service centers who do 100% according to the manufacturer's repair recommendations.

2) Due to lack of spare parts or lack of knowledge of OEM or alternative spare parts suppliers.

3) Poor Maintenance due to lack of proper guidance.

I created this thread to describe above more in details. I open this to all 1990s vehicle lovers to get together and find solutions to above in SL market.

Edited by Ted
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ted said:

My Dear Friends,

I thought of publishing an article kind of a thing to a particular community who use vehicles manufacd in 1990's with a huge expectation to relaunch their vehicles as they were in those days but still struggling. Merely due to this reason they tend to sell the vehicle and go for a budget vehicle ( indeed if they could invest more, then they could have bought a luxury car ryt? who then are not in this community). Why they are struggling? Because,

1) Due to lack of knowledge of repair or non availability of quality service centers who do 100% according to the manufacturer's repair recommendations.

2) Due to lack of spare parts or lack of knowledge of OEM or alternative spare parts suppliers.

3) Poor Maintenance due to lack of proper guidance.

I created this thread to describe above more in details. I open this to all 1990s vehicle lovers to get together and find solutions to above in SL market.

Contd..

Indeed what I am thinking is in Sri Lanka, these vehicles are being wasted. If we can find solutions to above, then I personally think we can increase the market of these vehicles saving forex since ppl will try to rely on these vehicles rather than spending for a budget brand new one. 

As the solution for the first,I think if we can publish more and more recommended repair details to owners, they will get to know this. It is upto them to DIY or get it done by a mechanic but not according to mechanic's way but his. 

48 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

We already have a section called DIY. You are more than welcome to contribute to it. You can also create a seperate blog with your own DIY projects if you wish.

What I know is very little... obviously it is limited for my car model.. Besides do you think DIY section will solve this ? There are only 5% of ppl who have literacy in English and from that using this forum is even less.. How we can transfer this knowledge to others who are not familiar with language and forums?

34 minutes ago, Ted said:

There are only 5% of ppl who have literacy in English and from that using this forum is even less.. How we can transfer this knowledge to others who are not familiar with language? 

සිංහල? 

That didn't take an engineering degree to figure out? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, varotone said:

Goodness gracious!

90s cars are cool. But attempting to increase the market value of numerous rattly smokey rust buckets in the country to save forex ?‍♂️♂️ you are on a whole other level!

Why you think they have been rattly smokey and rusty? can't they be given a rebirth? Do you know even in USA most of ppl are using old vehicles and there are still spare parts for them. In Malaysia still the same condition. If I am wrong have a look at scotty kilmer or WNR channels...

On 4/16/2020 at 6:55 PM, Ted said:

Why you think they have been rattly smokey and rusty? can't they be given a rebirth? Do you know even in USA most of ppl are using old vehicles and there are still spare parts for them. In Malaysia still the same condition. If I am wrong have a look at scotty kilmer or WNR channels...

You can find the answer to your problem if you analyze the airline industry. Do wonder why airlines are disposing 20 year old aircrafts which are maintained to the book.

Edited by peugeot407
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, peugeot407 said:

You can find the answer to your problem if you analyze the airline industry. Do wonder why airlines are diponsing 20 year old air crafts which are maintained to the book.

Indeed my friend... What I have seen in SL is this lack of knowledge of both users and service ppl resulting bad maintenance.... 

Chill man! They are rattly smokey rust buckets because of years of abuse, neglect and blotchy repairs. Most countries have annual vehicle inspection to make sure they are roadworthy vehicles. That keeps rust buckets out of the road. Car enthusiasts keep their old cars in pristine condition and keep running them regardless of old they are. Or scrap the old cars are buy new ones.

But in SL, decent new cars are prohibitively expensive. On top of that non-existent vehicle inspection and corrupt bureaucracy can keep rust buckets running and treated for artificial inflated prices. There are a few who take exceptional good care of their old cars. But they are not the ones who are looking for a "market price"

I reserve my comments on Scotty for another time ?.

A quick glance at €L@K!R! shows many threads on 90s vehicles in sinhala. Please make use of your knowledge and wisdom there to enlighten the masses in sinhala about the glory of the 90s cars. While you are at it, please make the maxxa boyzz stop making Frankensteins out of fibre.

Peace✌️

Edited by varotone
Added content
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, varotone said:

Chill man! They are rattly smokey rust buckets because of years of abuse, neglect and blotchy repairs. Most countries have annual vehicle inspection to make sure they are roadworthy vehicles. That keeps rust buckets out of the road. Car enthusiasts keep their old cars in pristine condition and keep running them regardless of old they are. Or scrap the old cars are buy new ones.

But in SL, decent new cars are prohibitively expensive. On top of that non-existent vehicle inspection and corrupt bureaucracy can keep rust buckets running and treated for artificial inflated prices. There are a few who take exceptional good care of their old cars. But they are not the ones who are looking for a "market price"

I reserve my comments on Scotty for another time ?.

A quick glance at €L@K!R! shows many threads on 90s vehicles in sinhala. You may spend your time their if you would like to teach the maxxxa boys about 90s cars.

Peace✌️

That forum truly is some place eh? Shish

Also I think you basically summed it up, along with @peugeot407's example. While one or two of us would love to own a mini or a KE20, there are hundreds of average non-enthusiast people who would say Hell No! to those cars.

Also, compared to modern computer boxes old cars aren't that much fuel efficient or safe either. And not everyone is a Petrolhead who is willing to spend time in a garage to keep his car running. People with busy schedules and important professions need modern and reliable cars. 

In my OL days, our science sir would fail to make it to our class once in a while because his FB13 would die somewhere randomly no matter how much he maintained it using his limited time and salary. 

Old enthusiast cars like the Lancer Box, KE20, B310, E30, W124 and some rare classics have their own strong market and the owners live in that safe bubble where their investments are safe on those cars as their market is a niche one. No hope for any other average car or rust bucket. 

Your intentions are good but sadly the srilankan car market is beyond saving due to the fact that the governing bodies don't care. Not only is the public transportation system unsatisfactory, but the private transportation system is very expensive and improper too. It should be any one of those, not both.

Edited by AVANTE

5 hours ago, Ted said:

increase the market of these vehicles saving forex

Thinking about your finance knowledge, I am speechless my friend....?. This clearly shows the collateral damage of the theory based education system prevailing in our land....???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ted said:

I can tell you with confidence that a signifincant population of Malaysia or USA does not use 90s cars. In fact, they are very rarely seen. I can also tell you 90s cars are extremely rare in the UK and Australia. In fact, I would estimate less than 1% of cars on the roads in these countries are from the 90s. While you have quoted Youtube as the source of your information, I have lived in these countries (for at least a year or more and each of them - Malaysia, Australia, US and I'm in the UK at present).

In Malaysia, the Proton Saga used to be the most popular taxi. The model has not changed significantly since the 80s. Although you see 80s and 90s looking Proton Sagas on the roads, those are actually manufactured much later (the design did not change until 2010 I think). Same goes with the LTI Hackney Carriage in London. The design is from 1950s, which is still made today with minor differences. In New York, the Yellow Cabs look like they are from the 80s and 90s but they are not. Car makers manufacture the same old model of cars for taxis, long after the actual models have ended production, because taxi companies prefer utility over appearance. Seeing so many of those 'old looking' taxis may have given you the impression that people in these countries prefer old cars.

Most countries discourage the use of old cars, because they emit more hazardous gases and particles than modern cars. They also do not contain safety features compared to newer cars. And finally, maintaining 20+ year old piles of metal  doesn't make any economic sense to anyone.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

Just now, tilvin said:

Thinking about your finance knowledge, I am speechless my friend....?. This clearly shows the collateral damage of the theory based education system prevailing in our land....???

I apologize if my wordings hurt you in previous threads my friend.. anyway If you don't understand how it doesnt matter.. different ppl have differenr views...Cheers....

Well simply put - you require a bit of effort to keep the older cars running  there  is a sizable community of retro car owners in Sri Lanka, and almost all these people are enthusiasts (or just show offs - idiots who rice some nice rides beyond recognition and are the reason you can't find a decent old Civic today) 

P.S - I'm a huge fan of 80's 90's cars. But sadly even my daily is from 2018 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

I can tell you with confidence that a signifincant population of Malaysia or USA does not use 90s cars. In fact, they are very rarely seen. I can also tell you 90s cars are extremely rare in the UK and Australia. In fact, I would estimate less than 1% of cars on the roads in these countries are from the 90s. While you have quoted Youtube as the source of your information, I have lived in these countries (for at least a year or more and each of them - Malaysia, Australia, US and I'm in the UK at present).

In Malaysia, the Proton Saga used to be the most popular taxi. The model has not changed significantly since the 80s. Although you see 80s and 90s looking Proton Sagas on the roads, those are actually manufactured much later (the design did not change until 2010 I think). Same goes with the LTI Hackney Carriage in London. The design is from 1950s, which is still made today with minor differences. In New York, the Yellow Cabs look like they are from the 80s and 90s but they are not. Car makers manufacture the same old model of cars for taxis, long after the actual models have ended production, because taxi companies prefer utility over appearance. Seeing so many of those 'old looking' taxis may have given you the impression that people in these countries prefer old cars.

Most countries discourage the use of old cars, because they emit more hazardous gases and particles than modern cars. They also do not contain safety features compared to newer cars. And finally, maintaining 20+ year old piles of metal  doesn't make any economic sense to anyone.

Well if we consider % values then we will have to so a seach on that. I have travelled lot of countries like UK, Italy, Russia and even Thailand and worked with technical guys there... almost all have old vehicles... They keep them in brandnew condition....

Indeed majority of vehicles may not be so... but I assume in every country there is a considerable community who use such vehicles and it is considerable for sure...

Edited by Ted

11 minutes ago, matroska said:

Well simply put - you require a bit of effort to keep the older cars running  there  is a sizable community of retro car owners in Sri Lanka, and almost all these people are enthusiasts (or just show offs - idiots who rice some nice rides beyond recognition and are the reason you can't find a decent old Civic today) 

P.S - I'm a huge fan of 80's 90's cars. But sadly even my daily is from 2018 

I assume one reason for your attraction in 90s is the way each component is made. Even a lamp is made in such a manner each sub part can be easily disassembled for repair... unlike todays which we have to full replace...

17 minutes ago, Ted said:

Well if we consider % values then we will have to so a seach on that. I have travelled lot of countries and worked with technical guys there... almost all have old vehicles... They keep them in brandnew condition....

Here's the data for Europe. Knock yourself out.

https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/ACEA_Report_Vehicles_in_use-Europe_2019.pdf

I guess you are one of those guys who just doesn't get it. Good luck with your venture.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Here's the data for Europe. Knock yourself out.

https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/ACEA_Report_Vehicles_in_use-Europe_2019.pdf

I guess you are one of those guys who just doesn't get it. Good luck with your venture.

Here is some stat from US,

https://www.statista.com/statistics/183505/number-of-vehicles-in-the-united-states-since-1990/

According to your 1% so called confidence this should be a COVID-19 curve...  If I make you more understand on this, If 1% of ppl are using 90s vehicles and rest is using new, then this graph should rapidly be increased...at least 2000 to 2020 figures should be doubled with the increase of the population...

BDW, dude could you please explain how you justify that less than 1% of population are using 90s from your stat link?

Edited by Ted