• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can we sanitize a car cabin (esp. against COVID 19) by parking under sun light

Dhaham

Not entirely true, if you are relying on the UV light, most cars after like 1997 came UV cut glasses.

But it will raise the temperature inside to like 50c which will in turn help. But again plenty of cool spots in a car even when parked in the sun so not entirely a proven fact. Ex under Seats boot, glovebox etc, 

A sensible airing out and soap water rub down would be better. Also ive read a 5min run of the heater in full blast helps to some extent with the ac system. 

Edited by tiv

1 hour ago, tiv said:

Not entirely true, if you are relying on the UV light, most cars after like 1997 came UV cut glasses.

But it will raise the temperature inside to like 50c which will in turn help.

Is inside temperature limited to 50C? I thought it will be around 80C. I remember an incident that a child locked inside a car, which was in sunlight,  died within 2-3 hours.

2 hours ago, Dhaham said:

Is inside temperature limited to 50C? I thought it will be around 80C. I remember an incident that a child locked inside a car, which was in sunlight,  died within 2-3 hours.

Case would be dehydration which can even happen at 35c

There is no limits but at 80c certain plastics will start to warp and gas out, so rather unlikely.

Again to your original point, rather than carelessly leaving it in the sun a once over with soap water and a brush would do better 

2 hours ago, tiv said:

Case would be dehydration which can even happen at 35c

There is no limits but at 80c certain plastics will start to warp and gas out, so rather unlikely.

Again to your original point, rather than carelessly leaving it in the sun a once over with soap water and a brush would do better 

Ok. Agree with you. So, main action should be chemical sterilization. Then as a secondary / backup action, we can keep the car in sunlight one or two days.