• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What is the most suitable Petol/Gasoline in Srilanka in lieu with Japanese specifications?

GoldBugBee

Question

Fellow AL experts,

Hope everyone is safe & sound during these hard times. Please stay indoors/stay healthy. Let me rescue you from boredom by asking a question (again). So long story short, "unexpectedly/gladly" bought a Suzuki XBee after my previous thread. (Thank you all for helping me out and specially @Meraya )

So the question is, Japanese user manual says recommended fuel type is "Unleaded regular gasoline" (Roughly translated by Google translate) So I would like to ask the opinion of AL experts on what is the most suitable petrol available in Sri lanka which meets the specifications of Japanese "Unleaded regular gasoline"? My main concerns lays with term "Unleaded" on the user manual (And also with Sulfar content). I did some googling around & found information mentioned below. But those were not 100% accurate by any means. Therefore kindly I seek your advice on choosing best fuel for my new car. The engine is equipped with a Suzuki K10C engine (Turbo) with compression ratio of 10.0. I didn't bother looking at IOC as he comments on their products were not favorable and personally I would prefer to stay away from them. But at this point I will consider any available option.

image.png.8df7b9d7ad7e76ba66ae527b8a00630f.png

Thanks,

-GBB-

7 answers to this question

Well I have a Vitara with a K10C Turbocharged  engine, probably with a different tune, 

The fuel filler cap clearly says RON 95 and so does the owners manual.

• Thanks 1

As far as Octane is concern you should be ok

You will need to decide factoring economy whether it is worth extra Rs. 30+ as you will not gain on kmpl.

There will be higher harmful emissions and engine wear and tare due to high sulfur content in 92.

Besides it gives maximum allowable as standard and not actual.

Me I always go with 92 unless specifically recommended by manufacturer. Newer had any issues with any of my cars.

• Thanks 1

Hi, 

As your vehicle has a turbo, better use the higher octain fuel for daily use and only use regular for topping up in places where high octain is not available.

Wishing you happy motoring, !

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

Well...like others have said..the octane rating should be fine..it is the other inclusions that should and should not be there that should worry you. But you also have to wonder...do you feel that your vehicle is so temprometal and weak that if the any of the other things are slightly off that it woudl start giving problems ? Manufacturers do include a decent amount of variance and tolerance.

Also...for things that are not there..you could always use fuel additives. Just pump the petrol you feel would be practical for you...and then focus on the other service areas to keep the car in good condition.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GoldBugBee said:

@iRage  @kush @Twin Turbo @tiv guys, thank you all for your valuable replies. 

hypothetically asking what is the worst case scenario a one could expect if he use 92 octane petrol when 95 is the recommended. hypothetically...

Engine knock on account of pre-ignition/detonation

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GoldBugBee said:

@iRage  @kush @Twin Turbo @tiv guys, thank you all for your valuable replies. 

hypothetically asking what is the worst case scenario a one could expect if he use 92 octane petrol when 95 is the recommended. hypothetically...

Messed up/ clogged egr system, cat, ppf, raised egts etc

My vitara has a ppf and I've seen it indicate self burn off twice, 

To add Premature injector failure due to the sulphur content.

The thing is manufacturers recommended but only time will tell, in our local setup

Example 2010 2011, most of the common rail hiluxes and KDH Hiaces had issues with normal diesel, humongous array, injectors dpf block, CEL etc.

Also I guess, I believe fuel quality improved with time as well

Whereas none of the mitsubishi common rails had that issue other than output power loss over time. 

So better play safe than sorry and with the upcoming recession, dip in the LKR trying to save some some what 40 50 rs to 500rs per fuel stop will leave you paying 50,000 to 500,000 if you mess up something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1