• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

If a Brand New car had a long delivery time after manufacturing

Dhaham

Question

Dear Friends

I opened an LC for a Peugeot 3008 through local agent in November 2019. The car has been manufactured in December 2019 (I got the VIN). Unfortunately, from 5th December, 2019, there was very long running strike in transport sector in France and due to this, the car couldn't be shipped so far. Now, France has been locked down due to corona virus and therefore, the shipment date will be further delayed. Suppose the car was manufactured in the beginning of December 2019 and shipped at the end of April 2020. Then there will be five months since production. If shipment take one month, then it will be 6 months from date of manufacturing, to landing to Sri Lanka. 

My questions is, can this long delivery period affect / damage the car? Do (reputed) manufacturers follows any special procedures when there is such long delivery period after manufacturing? (I don't know whether the car is inside the stores, in open yards or inside the container box and we can't expect this type of information from our local agent). 

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Dhaham said:

Dear Friends

I opened an LC for a Peugeot 3008 through local agent in November 2019. The car has been manufactured in December 2019 (I got the VIN). Unfortunately, from 5th December, 2019, there was very long running strike in transport sector in France and due to this, the car couldn't be shipped so far. Now, France has been locked down due to corona virus and therefore, the shipment date will be further delayed. Suppose the car was manufactured in the beginning of December 2019 and shipped at the end of April 2020. Then there will be five months since production. If shipment take one month, then it will be 6 months from date of manufacturing, to landing to Sri Lanka. 

My questions is, can this long delivery period affect / damage the car? Do (reputed) manufacturers follows any special procedures when there is such long delivery period after manufacturing? (I don't know whether the car is inside the stores, in open yards or inside the container box and we can't expect this type of information from our local agent). 

Thanks in advance.

So u opened LC to a hypothetical/ virtual vin, this is frowned upon by the authorities.

I do not understand how u let a car that was manufactured in December get dragged on this long? If the agents are this inefficient to get the car to your driveway, imagine using it.

Anyways things will get further postponed atleast 2 months even though u opened the lc due to the current situation.

Only thing you can do now is to make sure they attend to the 6 months lubricant change when they deliver the car. Anyways the car has complete free services right, parts + labour.

Not to dishearten you but pugs arent the most reliable of cars, need constant attention, esp from agents

though our herd mentality have made them flood in, be a bit stiff with the agents with this matter and future matters.

Edited by tiv

I don't think there will be any major issues though the situation is not ideal. This kind of delay is common when importing zero milage cars from Japan. When I imported my car, the delay was around 10 months. However, there can be some issues such as flat spots on tires.

I dont see any issue here. This local agent is not trustworthy and very irresponsible. They used to keep on telling lies and finally just refrain to answer calls.

Last year these falks opened Local LCs for permit holders and that caused cancellation of hundreds of permits. Finally, they ended up of paying Rs. 500000 for permit holders as per a court order back to who ordered vehicles from these guys.  

perhaps your vehicle is yet to be manufactured. Best is to find out a way to check what is actually happening. Better write to PSA group and make a complaint. 

Edited by vitz

11 hours ago, CNX said:

This kind of delay is common when importing zero milage cars from Japan. When I imported my car, the delay was around 10 months. However, there can be some issues such as flat spots on tires.

Really ? How ? What is the car and when did you buy it ? No..it is not common for cars to get delayed this long after manufacturing. The only time it does get delayed is production wait lists due to huge volume of orders....

Some models have a waiting list because of production limitations that can cause a 6-7 month delay. When the GT86 was launched it had a 10 month waiting period....Last Honda Fit had 4 months....the XCross had a few months...the new Corolla has a wait time of 4 months...Raize had a wait list of 7.5 months which now has gone down to 4. This is different from what the OP is going through. OP's car is already manufactured and is being delayed for various reasons. In Japan, once the car is manufactured there hardly is any delay unless the person exporting it screws up. 

14 hours ago, tiv said:

Not to dishearten you but pugs arent the most reliable of cars, need constant attention, esp from agents

Tiv,

What I have heard/read in the web is 3008, 5008 are quite reliable machines, though there are reported cases of AC compressor failures. 

Any good reasons for your statement.........because we too are planning to import a 2008, of course through the agent after the crisis period :)

16 hours ago, tiv said:

So u opened LC to a hypothetical/ virtual vin, this is frowned upon by the authorities.

I do not understand how u let a car that was manufactured in December get dragged on this long? If the agents are this inefficient to get the car to your driveway, imagine using it.

Anyways things will get further postponed atleast 2 months even though u opened the lc due to the current situation.

Only thing you can do now is to make sure they attend to the 6 months lubricant change when they deliver the car. Anyways the car has complete free services right, parts + labour.

though our herd mentality have made them flood in, be a bit stiff with the agents with this matter and future matters.

@tiv C@rM@art as usual?????

1 hour ago, vitz said:

Tiv,

What I have heard/read in the web is 3008, 5008 are quite reliable machines, though there are reported cases of AC compressor failures. 

Any good reasons for your statement.........because we too are planning to import a 2008, of course through the agent after the crisis period :)

@vitz is this first hand or local (long) term review or just what the European automotive journalists have to say??

If it's the latter then just be warned that they aren't exactly the most objective bunch neither are they the best an judging what will hold up the best in the real world or worse still our harrowing tropical local conditions?

8 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

@vitz is this first hand or local (long) term review or just what the European automotive journalists have to say??

If it's the latter then just be warned that they aren't exactly the most objective bunch neither are they the best an judging what will hold up the best in the real world or worse still our harrowing tropical local conditions?

Hi Devinda

Mostly European Automotive Journalists. I have too realized that their reviews are quite biased. But had no way of verifying that :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CNX said:

The car was manufactured in November 2018, I purchased it through USS auctions with 5km on the clock in June 2019. There was some shipping delay and finally took delivery in August 2019. 

well..that COULD have had nothing to do with the manufacturer's delay or a shipping delay and it is not the case similar to the OP ?

How did you find the year of manufacture ? The Japanese reg documents indicate YoM as Year of First Registration (this includes all the verification websites as well). So if you say your car was manufactured in Nov 2018 based on your registration and export docs..that means the car was sold and registered to the new owner in Japan in November 2018 (i.e. the car was delivered to the owner in Nov 2018). So it could be that the new owner did not put it to auction until June(ish) of 2019.  It is quite common for car export companies (and even some business individuals and local car dealers) to buy brand new cars in to their own stock and try to sell it (or hold on to it) on their own lot until it gets put to auction. So based on this..your car for all intents and purposes is considered a 2018 model.

Also, sometimes the manufacturers dealer could also have some ex-stock before it gets sold to someone... but even in these cases the year of first reg is recorded when the car gets sold ad the Japanese docs would indicate the year/month it was first registered..not the date it arrived at the dealership lot.

With manufacturers' exports it is slightly different. A car manufactured to be exported (eg. to the middle east) and kept at the manufacturer's local dealer's lot will have a date that indicates a year of import in to the country...but there after any registration doc would indicate the year of first registration as its model year (eg. my Fortuner was imported to Oman from Indonesia in Dec 2012..but was sold off by the Toyota dealer to a trading company who had it for exported to Vietnam in March 2013 so it is considered as a 2013 model). It is things like this that manufacturers use a dual year system for marketing models.

22 hours ago, tilvin said:

I strongly oppose this statement...?

13 hours ago, vitz said:

Tiv,

11 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

@tiv C@rM@art as usual?????

11 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Well to summarise the reason to my answer 

My maternal uncle, is and was an avid Peugeot collector, has had from the first 104, 305, 504, 404, 407, 406 and now has stepped to the hallowed suv grounds with a 3008. His life mission was convincing other family members buying Peugeot. Peugeot fans may know him by name, he has friends in France through forums they used to ship him stuff for free.

Also my profession involves the mid decade permit trend so I tend to see gullible colleagues fall prey every season, the micro season,  the vezel season, the permit premio season and now the pug season, 

So far I've experienced 3 cars, my uncles 3008, another colleagues 3008 and a 5008.

I've no experience on the 2008, but I've met reps and was about to do a bit more research before the pandemic

So my uncles car had a parking brake issue, hes done like 5000 km, idk he rectified it with the agents. Hes hiding it from me in shame, but I heard it was unusable for a few days.

The 5008 had an issue with the display, again 3 days at the agent it was resolved, said it was a software thing. 

The other 3008 met with an accident, nothing big, front driver side quarter panel.

agents repair bill was beyond fathom by the insurance, he ended up fixing it in a 3rd party place, the thing has gone AWOL since then, throwing codes. 

In my small random sample I've seen that brand new cars shouldn't be that hard to run and repair, hence why I said these arent the most reliable, these are sophisticated European motors, whatever you may say they need a lot of attention which people are having a ball with the so called agent. 

So to the offended pug owners, I respect your pride and joy and have fun running your high end cars, makes the road prettier

Meanwhile some of us enjoy being able to fix a car by a sane bush mechanic or even at home after smiling for atleast 100,000km, and pile some money to spare for another car or few dozen beers.

Edited by tiv
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, vitz said:

perhaps your vehicle is yet to be manufactured.

No. It's manufactured because I got VIN about two months ago. According to that, YOM is 2019.

22 hours ago, vitz said:

Best is to find out a way to check what is actually happening. Better write to PSA group and make a complaint.

Is there any emails or something to contact PSA group?

2 hours ago, tiv said:

My maternal uncle, is and was an avid Peugeot collector, has had from the first 104, 305, 504, 404, 407, 406 and now has stepped to the hallowed suv grounds with a 3008. His life mission was convincing other family members buying Peugeot. Peugeot fans may know him by name, he has friends in France through forums they used to ship him stuff for free.

Does your uncle have contacts with Peugeot France? If so it would be much appreciated if you could give me those contact details (email address or something). Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, Dhaham said:

Does your uncle have contacts with Peugeot France? If so it would be much appreciated if you could give me those contact details (email address or something). Thanks in advance.

Will ask him and get back to you 

On 3/29/2020 at 5:42 PM, tiv said:

So u opened LC to a hypothetical/ virtual vin, this is frowned upon by the authorities

Yes because they start manufacturing after LC is opened ( as said by C@r M@rt, but not sure). So, VIN is not available in the LC. Is this not legal? Earlier, I imported a Vitz and I remember I had to mention chassis number in the LC.

8 hours ago, Dhaham said:

With this link, we can fill our details and write our question. After that once we submit it, there is a message saying "forbidden" 

I am not sure what's happening. This link works for me.

On 3/29/2020 at 10:58 PM, vitz said:

Last year these falks opened Local LCs for permit holders and that caused cancellation of hundreds of permits. Finally, they ended up of paying Rs. 500000 for permit holders as per a court order back to who ordered vehicles from these guys

Dear vitz

I'd like to know some more details on this incident. Can you please tell me this. Having the knowledge on this kind of incidents might be useful for me since I have become a new customer of C@r M@rt.

3 minutes ago, Dhaham said:

Dear vitz

I'd like to know some more details on this incident. Can you please tell me this. Having the knowledge on this kind of incidents might be useful for me since I have become a new customer of C@r M@rt.

Don't worry about it if they have opened a foreign LC on your name......

29 minutes ago, vitz said:

Don't worry about it if they have opened a foreign LC on your name......

Yes foreign LC was opened without any delay. I opened local LC on 21/11/2019 and they had opened 28/11/2019. I received a photo copy of that. 

Is that incident happened due to not opening foreign LC?

1 minute ago, Dhaham said:

Yes foreign LC was opened without any delay. I opened local LC on 21/11/2019 and they had opened 28/11/2019. I received a photo copy of that. 

Is that incident happened due to not opening foreign LC?

Yes, you don't have to worry....