• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Where to search for a mint condition BMW E30?

Restorer

Question

Hi,

I'm a BMW E30 enthusiast and I'm in search for a good condition e30 to purchase within this month. I've seen some cars and their conditions were so bad that one car's doors wouldn't even close properly. 

Does anyone here know about any E30s that might be available for purchase? There are only a very few cars listed online and most of them are in very bad condition or modified to the point where its not a BMW e30 anymore. Also do you think is it a good idea to have an E30 a first car when it comes to the repairs and maintenance. I've been warned multiple times by car guys who never had a BMW. 

Any leads here would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

7 answers to this question

Patience. If you want a mint condition E30, you will have to wait until an enthusiast sells one. No guarantee that it will happen within the month or within the year. E30 is a great car but even the latest models are 30 years old. As for any old BMW expect repairs and waiting for parts to arrive but the availability of parts is not too bad especially for the fuel injected ones. The ones with M10 e carburettor engine maybe more difficult to maintain as mechanics who know how to  maintain these are hard to find though the engine itself is bullet proof and even used in F1 in the 80's. May not be the ideal first car. More of a project car given the age and time and money required to maintain in good condition.

3 hours ago, CNX said:

Patience. If you want a mint condition E30, you will have to wait until an enthusiast sells one. No guarantee that it will happen within the month or within the year. E30 is a great car but even the latest models are 30 years old. As for any old BMW expect repairs and waiting for parts to arrive but the availability of parts is not too bad especially for the fuel injected ones. The ones with M10 e carburettor engine maybe more difficult to maintain as mechanics who know how to  maintain these are hard to find though the engine itself is bullet proof and even used in F1 in the 80's. May not be the ideal first car. More of a project car given the age and time and money required to maintain in good condition.

Hi CNX, This is what I hear mostly for the past week :D   I seemed to have found a good one. Will have to check it this saturday. If that doesn't seem satisfactory, I've decided to go with a Cedric Y31. There's one in mint condition. So either the E30 or the Y31. Let's see. Thanks Guys for the responses! :) 

Yay.!!  Someone who`d like a Yeeee30.!!  :D 

Firstly, what sort of usage are you expecting from this car? Daily?  weekender? project? only car? second or third car? etc...? 

Secondly, are you familiar with cars of this vintage? Are you willing to spend time/effort on maintaining a car or mostly looking to get in and drive? 

I cant help you with finding a car since i am not in SL, but one thing is for sure, try to find THE best car in terms of interior and exterior condition. Mechanical issues are so much easier to work on and fix with these cars, interior and exterior can be a royal pain in the ares to get right as with most 30 year old cars. Something with engine/transmission issues might actually be a better purchase if the body/interior is in good shape as you might be able to negotiate on price. 

Don`t go for a land yacht (i.e. Y31), :P  Drive an E30 on a nice winding road and expect a silly grin in ya face every.single.time..! :D

Edited by MrCat

2 hours ago, MrCat said:

Yay.!!  Someone who`d like a Yeeee30.!!  :D 

Firstly, what sort of usage are you expecting from this car? Daily?  weekender? project? only car? second or third car? etc...? 

Secondly, are you familiar with cars of this vintage? Are you willing to spend time/effort on maintaining a car or mostly looking to get in and drive? 

I cant help you with finding a car since i am not in SL, but one thing is for sure, try to find THE best car in terms of interior and exterior condition. Mechanical issues are so much easier to work on and fix with these cars, interior and exterior can be a royal pain in the ares to get right as with most 30 year old cars. Something with engine/transmission issues might actually be a better purchase if the body/interior is in good shape as you might be able to negotiate on price. 

Don`t go for a land yacht (i.e. Y31), :P  Drive an E30 on a nice winding road and expect a silly grin in ya face every.single.time..! :D

Hey Mr Cat,

Great to have such a response! :D

This will be my daily driver. I'm good with these age old cars since my father always had cars belonging to the 80s-90s period. My brother is also an expert in cars as he is a superb detailer.

The only problem is I can't find a good e30. The conditions are so bad that it will be a massive waste of money and time. The ones I saw were hacked and some were modified to the point where it's no longer an e30 lol

I actually drive the Y31 regularly and I enjoy the comfort and the royalty the car brings (if there is such a thing lol). But let's see, if I can't find a good e30, going with the Cedric most probably since these two are the best cars I can get for around 1 mil :)

9 minutes ago, Restorer said:

Hey Mr Cat,

Great to have such a response! :D

This will be my daily driver. I'm good with these age old cars since my father always had cars belonging to the 80s-90s period. My brother is also an expert in cars as he is a superb detailer.

The only problem is I can't find a good e30. The conditions are so bad that it will be a massive waste of money and time. The ones I saw were hacked and some were modified to the point where it's no longer an e30 lol

I actually drive the Y31 regularly and I enjoy the comfort and the royalty the car brings (if there is such a thing lol). But let's see, if I can't find a good e30, going with the Cedric most probably since these two are the best cars I can get for around 1 mil :)

Hey, that makes perfect sense. If you can`t find one in good condition, might as well stay away. These are extremely simple cars mechanically, but certain trim pieces/parts are quite rare and expensive even in the international market (e.g. trim panel under the steering).  It`ll be a never ending battle to restore a hacked car, might as well buy something else in good shape and enjoy! What i`ve learnt over the years (when it comes to older cars) is to buy the best car you can in the first place, even if it comes at a premium price. Much less drama and headache over the long run, regardless of the model. 

16 hours ago, MrCat said:

Hey, that makes perfect sense. If you can`t find one in good condition, might as well stay away. These are extremely simple cars mechanically, but certain trim pieces/parts are quite rare and expensive even in the international market (e.g. trim panel under the steering).  It`ll be a never ending battle to restore a hacked car, might as well buy something else in good shape and enjoy! What i`ve learnt over the years (when it comes to older cars) is to buy the best car you can in the first place, even if it comes at a premium price. Much less drama and headache over the long run, regardless of the model. 

Haha this is true! 

Might have to push back the hunt for a good car by a month due to the Corona Virus. Thanks for the advise brother! :D 

• Like 1