• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vitz 2018 fuel gauge slow to update after refuelling

kana

Question

Toyota Vitz 2018, fuel gauge slow to update after refuelling, it is taking around 5 minutes. 

it  moves zero few seconds(around 30s) after the switched off..

But during the starts, no issue; it becomes to the correct level as usual. 

please advice me in this regards.

13 answers to this question

39 minutes ago, kana said:

Toyota Vitz 2018, fuel gauge slow to update after refuelling, it is taking around 5 minutes. 

Has it always been like that? Nothing to worry really. Almost all cars have that problem. Even the digital fuel gauges are unreliable. Living in hilly areas can cause the gauge to change the readings often. Just make sure that the guy at the fuel station is actually putting petrol in there instead of air or diesel. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, kana said:

Seems this is common issue. Few other car models also having such kind of issues time to time

• Thanks 1

The tech is ages old, 90s van like, mine takes like 5min to update after a 1000 buck topup. 

This is quite normal and I do not believe this is an issue.

The reason for the slow update is because of how the level mechanism works. On most cars, the level mechanism is an arm attached to the top of the fuel tank which has a plastic float at the bottom. The float will be on top of fuel surface at different angles given the level of fuel in the tank. The cars guage works by calculating the angle and height the plastic float is at. It takes these readings intermittently and at somewhat slower intervals.

If I am not mistaken, the delays between readings is by design. If you design this to update in real time, the fuel gauge will fluctuate when you take a bend, when you are on a slope etc.

1 minute ago, tiv said:

The tech is ages old, 90s van like, mine takes like 5min to update after a 1000 buck topup. 

My motorbike's gauge goes haywire. Shows 3 bars when almost empty and 2 bars even after a 500 top up. 

12 minutes ago, AVANTE said:

My motorbike's gauge goes haywire. Shows 3 bars when almost empty and 2 bars even after a 500 top up. 

I've used STP total fuel system cleaner and it helps taking out minor deposits on floaters 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramishkad said:

This is quite normal and I do not believe this is an issue.

The reason for the slow update is because of how the level mechanism works. On most cars, the level mechanism is an arm attached to the top of the fuel tank which has a plastic float at the bottom. The float will be on top of fuel surface at different angles given the level of fuel in the tank. The cars guage works by calculating the angle and height the plastic float is at. It takes these readings intermittently and at somewhat slower intervals.

If I am not mistaken, the delays between readings is by design. If you design this to update in real time, the fuel gauge will fluctuate when you take a bend, when you are on a slope etc.

Are you sure about this? asking because I've never noticed such a delay...

I always turn the engine off and get out of the car when I refuel, after refueling when the key is turned to "ON" position the new fuel level is displayed without any delay. The fuel gauge doesn't fluctuate on a slope either...

According to my workshop manual the gauge works by changing the resistance when the floater is moved.

3TbP6B8.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

I always turn the engine off and get out of the car when I refuel, after refueling when the key is turned to "ON" position the new fuel level is displayed without any delay. The fuel gauge doesn't fluctuate on a slope either...

According to my workshop manual the gauge works by changing the resistance when the floater is moved.

I too do the same and informing the fuel amount (mostly full tank) after confirming the meter is set to zero. When I switch on, the indicator always shows maximum bars. Never faced any odd behavior so far.

@kana try Power OFF, refuel and ON. Update here the results.

3 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

3TbP6B8.png

What I mentioned may not be true for all cars. However as far as I know most of the vehicles use a tech based on that general concept. I dont see a delay in my current vehicle (2019 YoM) either. But I saw a delay in my previous car (2011 YoM).

Edited by ramishkad

14 hours ago, kusumsiri said:

try Power OFF, refuel and ON. Update here the results.

This is the key. Always turn off the engine and refuel. I faced it only once in My Vitz 2016. As I remember I forgot to shut the engine. it took nearly 5 minutes and a start and stop update fuel gauge. If you turn off the engine and refuel, I am sure this will not occur.

And this is not a problem with the car of course.

• Like 1

Re Refueling Members,

My SUZUKI EVERY van have no problem wherever I fill the tank. Comes up in few seconds. I have  digital meter, this meter comes up when the tank gets filled> When I notice that the gauge had come up to full mark, still there is more space in the tank to fill.

I never stop my engine, get the pump attendant to fill the tank. One thing I have noted the auto fuel full  cut off incorporated in the system of the pump hose hand operated unit, activate to stop fuel pump on the dispensing hose about 99% full of the tank. Due to air in the tank the fuel get sprayed on to the dispensing metal handle and auto stop works.

Still I have noticed the tank can take up to another 1 liter or more. Will observe and post when next time I fill the tank. The how system works.

Sylvester Wijesinghe.

Sylvi.