• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What are the good places for vehicle inspections other than Toyota Lanka?

Benjamin_a

Carchecks has a solid rep. Greasemonkey is being advertised around alot too, so that's worth checking out too. 

Also why are you avoiding Toyota Lanka? 

Edited by AVANTE

On 3/8/2020 at 3:25 PM, Benjamin_a said:

What are the places to do vehicle inspection?. . Does Mag C#ty and Sterlin provide good inspection service? 

No...Sterling's inspections are not good ! It is a biased load of ##### that is not worth the paper it is written on. Its not consistent as well...their level of bias is obvious too.

Car checks has a good reputation....but their reach is limited as they have only one center in Colombo

• 2 years later...

I got Greasemonkey Inspectors vehicle inspection in Kandy and few other cities. Their service is available Islandwide. They have 3 packages and I have selected the premium one so they checked underbody, engine, scan, paint corrections, accidents, mechanical & electrical issues, test run was included. They inspected it close to 1.5hrs. Satisfied with the technicians who came. After I received the report staff was helpful to clear things out that I'm not familiar with. With the report repair estimation was sent with the market value of the vehicle. With all this info it was easy for me to take a decision about the vehicle. We have to book appointments online 

https://greasemonkeyinspectors.lk

Call this number 0704440007 and check for available time slots. Friendly staff

• 6 months later...
16 hours ago, Pravien said:

Hi @iRage,

Can you please suggest me which inspection is good?
Car Checks   OR  TL ?

Each is good on different things. They are both comprehensive, but Car Checks I believe has more check points than TL. Also, the report can be somewhat over-the-top as they will note down things like a rubber bushing being dry or a washer being rusted (nothing strange here on a car that is 20 years old..also it is best to know every little detail rather than not knowing it). They are good at checking the body/chassis for repaisr/damage/etc...However, I have found them to be not too in-depth when it comes to checking the mechanicals. This is where TL does better. They are better at doing the mechanical check but not that comprehensive when it comes to the body/chassis.

If possible...do both. If you can only do one, then it is up to you.  I would first do the car checks and then if the car checks point out any concerning/significant mechanical issues then I would take it to TL. Please keep in mind that at the end of the day..there are still things that cannot be checked with an inspection and this is a risk you will have to be willing to take when buying a used car. Especially a very old one.

• 4 months later...

@iRage I was wondering, can we trust these companies? Situated among car sales in Kohuwala, is it possible for these car sales guys to bribe technicians? I know there's always a possibility. It's hard to find honest ppl. But you seem to trust their service. Any advice on that?

1 hour ago, C_J said:

@iRage I was wondering, can we trust these companies? Situated among car sales in Kohuwala, is it possible for these car sales guys to bribe technicians? I know there's always a possibility. It's hard to find honest ppl. But you seem to trust their service. Any advice on that?

There always is a risk....but yeah...knowing the guys who worked (who are also on this forum) and the guys who own Car Checks, they are not the type that can be bribed (especially even after they have received threats and stuff). So you have that going for you. Also, considering the things they are picky about its hard to believe they can be swayed. I believe..that now several car sales  automatically provide a Car Checks report.

There is always a risk in buying an old car. For example....some components like an alternator or even an AC compressor can very well be functioning perfectly one week only to break down the next and there isn't an easy or straightforward way to check if the component is going to break. So even with all the reports in the world there are things that can and will go wrong. That is why cars DEPRECIATE !!! a concept we Sri Lankans don't seem to comprehend. Especially if the car has a Toyota badge on it...that is hold in color...

18 hours ago, iRage said:

There always is a risk....but yeah...knowing the guys who worked (who are also on this forum) and the guys who own Car Checks, they are not the type that can be bribed (especially even after they have received threats and stuff). So you have that going for you. Also, considering the things they are picky about its hard to believe they can be swayed. I believe..that now several car sales  automatically provide a Car Checks report.

Good to know that.

So I can trust Car Checks report provided by car sales right? maybe I can double-check with Car Checks.
In that case, I don't have to get the inspection again right?

4 hours ago, C_J said:

Good to know that.

So I can trust Car Checks report provided by car sales right? maybe I can double-check with Car Checks.
In that case, I don't have to get the inspection again right?

You can always check with CC about the report. Now, whether you should get another report or not depends on when the report the car salesman showed you was done. If the car has been used a considerable amount after the inspection then it might be best to get one done again.

Also, CC and agents are good at different things so if the CC report is already there and current, you might even want to do a check at the agents.

• Like 1