• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Locked...... please Help

Ted

Question

Hi All,

I bought a reconditioned engine and replaced it at Sunil Motors Boralesgamuwa. After two days of the replacement, in the morning I went to the emission and it was passed. Then I waited around at home 1hr and started to go to a near by place. After around 1.5km the car was suddenly stopped. 

There was an AC Idle issue due to Sunil Motor mechanic adjusted wrongly. I adjusted normal idle correctly but could not adjust AC idle valve since I had no proper allen key for that. So for all earlier trips I did not switch in AC. For this small trip I had to use AC since my wife was with me in car. When idling engine is stalling since not enough air. Kind of this happened before the sudden stop. I tried several times to start but engine rpm rises comes back to zero. Forcefully I peddled accelerator and got into a nearby spaced area. While I was forcefully peddling I engine gave a huge thud noise. 

Mechanic came and tried to rotate the engine. Engine locks at one point when turning.

I still cannot think what happened. Because,

1) Engine was a very good one since we carefully inspected rubber hoses, sensors, coolant passages, cam shafts, even the thermostat was like a brandnew one.

2) After the replacement I drove around 50kms and nothing was wrong in the engine. If mechanic had misaligned the timing belt this could have happened sooner. Am I ryt?

Anyway mechanic will start to dismantle engine on tuesday. 

Highly appreciate your comments.

3 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Ted said:

Hi All,

I bought a reconditioned engine and replaced it at Sunil Motors Boralesgamuwa. After two days of the replacement, in the morning I went to the emission and it was passed. Then I waited around at home 1hr and started to go to a near by place. After around 1.5km the car was suddenly stopped. 

There was an AC Idle issue due to Sunil Motor mechanic adjusted wrongly. I adjusted normal idle correctly but could not adjust AC idle valve since I had no proper allen key for that. So for all earlier trips I did not switch in AC. For this small trip I had to use AC since my wife was with me in car. When idling engine is stalling since not enough air. Kind of this happened before the sudden stop. I tried several times to start but engine rpm rises comes back to zero. Forcefully I peddled accelerator and got into a nearby spaced area. While I was forcefully peddling I engine gave a huge thud noise. 

Mechanic came and tried to rotate the engine. Engine locks at one point when turning.

I still cannot think what happened. Because,

1) Engine was a very good one since we carefully inspected rubber hoses, sensors, coolant passages, cam shafts, even the thermostat was like a brandnew one.

2) After the replacement I drove around 50kms and nothing was wrong in the engine. If mechanic had misaligned the timing belt this could have happened sooner. Am I ryt?

Anyway mechanic will start to dismantle engine on tuesday. 

Highly appreciate your comments.

To me by the looks of it you had a fuel pump or fuel delivery issue, initially 

Also could be a valve stuck open, owing to the reason why the crank is not turning. 

Anyhow u will need to take it apart. 

Also do elaborate what the engine is, fuel the what the car is and the transmission type.

3 hours ago, tiv said:

To me by the looks of it you had a fuel pump or fuel delivery issue, initially 

Also could be a valve stuck open, owing to the reason why the crank is not turning. 

Anyhow u will need to take it apart. 

Also do elaborate what the engine is, fuel the what the car is and the transmission type.

5A-FE engine, Gasoline and Auto.

11 hours ago, Ted said:

5A-FE engine, Gasoline and Auto.

This is one of the most reliable engine Toyota produced!!!

What is the reaction from Starter motor when you try start the engine?

Is the technician try turn the crank pulley using a socket and a handle after removing all the belts from the crank?

If i am not mistaken 5A-FE crank pulley drives 1 belt to AC, alternator and water pump and water pump drives the power steering so check all of the other pulley's turn freely????

Have you try tapping the starter motor? Has any of you try crank the engine without belt?

regards,

JC