• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tire puncture - New tire or alternatives?

Klord

Yesterday when Im going back home, I noticed that left side rear tire is completely flat. Unfortunately, I have already driven 2-3 kms before realizing the situation. Anyhow, as a result I ended up stranded nowhere deep in Neluwa at around 9 PM which was a very frustrating situation. The bloody tire repair kit also did not work (the puncture seem to be too large so air escaped through the hole), so I had to park the car in a strangers home and find my way back home which was 25km away. 

Enough ranting! I have to somehow fix the tire. Car has already clocked 13k Kms within 5 months of purchase as I travel a lot.  What are my options?

• Do I need to get a new tire? Which will cost about 45k (which is a considerable sum considering my current financial status). If so will it unbalance the car as other 3 tires are a bit worn off now?
  • Can I repair the tire with vulcanizing or some other method and continue to use it? (I like this option, as it is cheap). Will it be a risk causing another possible puncture deep in the boonies, considering I travel great miles in rural areas?
  • I need to buy a spare wheel. What kind of options do I have? How much it will cost?

Your valuable feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you. :) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Klord said:

Yesterday when Im going back home, I noticed that left side rear tire is completely flat. Unfortunately, I have already driven 2-3 kms before realizing the situation. Anyhow, as a result I ended up stranded nowhere deep in Neluwa at around 9 PM which was a very frustrating situation. The bloody tire repair kit also did not work (the puncture seem to be too large so air escaped through the hole), so I had to park the car in a strangers home and find my way back home which was 25km away. 

Enough ranting! I have to somehow fix the tire. Car has already clocked 13k Kms within 5 months of purchase as I travel a lot.  What are my options?

• Do I need to get a new tire? Which will cost about 45k (which is a considerable sum considering my current financial status). If so will it unbalance the car as other 3 tires are a bit worn off now?
  • Can I repair the tire with vulcanizing or some other method and continue to use it? (I like this option, as it is cheap). Will it be a risk causing another possible puncture deep in the boonies, considering I travel great miles in rural areas?
  • I need to buy a spare wheel. What kind of options do I have? How much it will cost?

What is the vehicle and tyre size and brand?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=226

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=225

Edited by jerryda
Web Link

1 hour ago, Klord said:

how strange didn't the tire pressure alert go off? Anyway sounds like a harrowing experience especially considering the trauma you went through with your accident a few months ago! 

I would always replace two tires at the same time but that's just me being OCD about my car. If finances are tight go ahead and replace one, check your alignment and do the other once you have some spare cash. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Klord said:

I noticed that left side rear tire is completely flat. Unfortunately, I have already driven 2-3 kms before realizing the situation. 

You have to check whether side walls are damaged or not due to 2-3 km flat running. , If extensively damaged, definitely you have to replace..

2 hours ago, Klord said:

Do I need to get a new tire? Which will cost about 45k (which is a considerable sum considering my current financial status). If so will it unbalance the car as other 3 tires are a bit worn off now?

Couldn't you find a cheaper brand for 15k to 20K ?  Still 13K km means your other tyres should be good.

Furthermore, If you don't follow proper Tyre rotation in future ( due to a bad tyre,) you may have to replace other three also bit early due to sidewear. 

2 hours ago, Klord said:

You could repair the punch. But if side walls damaged, you have to replace the tyre. 

2 hours ago, Klord said:

If car boot is designed for small size one, you should only buy smaller one. otherwise you have to face several ergonomics/user friendliness matters while using boot space as well as extra weight. 

1 hour ago, Klord said:

Honda Civic 2018 

Michelin Tire - 235/45R17

Sounds like a sidewall. 

If it's in the tread area put an internal patch or a tyre repair, but only in the tread area I repeat, fill it up use if for like 2 3 km and see if u see sidewall defects or bubbles

Definitely buy a spare wheel,

If it's a side wall issue 

go to large tyre hoarder, you will probably be able to find a used tyre of the same brand with more or less the same wear for like 10000lkr or a pair even.

Expiry may may not match 

Risks involved yes but you can sustain a few months l.

Another option would be to buy a pair of a cheaper but good brand ie maxxis nankang etc 

And use them both till u can replace the other 2.

Edited by tiv

2 hours ago, RWD said:

how strange didn't the tire pressure alert go off? Anyway sounds like a harrowing experience especially considering the trauma you went through with your accident a few months ago! 

I would always replace two tires at the same time but that's just me being OCD about my car. If finances are tight go ahead and replace one, check your alignment and do the other once you have some spare cash. 

Strange enough. It didnt go off. So much for a European/Japanese car. Now that I have driven few miles on a flat tire, the inside of the tire has damaged (peeled off by rim). I would not be able to fix this even if I want it. Contacted several tire houses and they quoted 50k for a single tire. ? So definitely, will not be able to replace both tires. Im broke.  

2 hours ago, gayanath said:

You have to check whether side walls are damaged or not due to 2-3 km flat running. , If extensively damaged, definitely you have to replace..

Couldn't you find a cheaper brand for 15k to 20K ?  Still 13K km means your other tyres should be good.

Furthermore, If you don't follow proper Tyre rotation in future ( due to a bad tyre,) you may have to replace other three also bit early due to sidewear. 

You could repair the punch. But if side walls damaged, you have to replace the tyre. 

If car boot is designed for small size one, you should only buy smaller one. otherwise you have to face several ergonomics/user friendliness matters while using boot space as well as extra weight. 

1942422031_WhatsAppImage2020-03-05at10_25_28.thumb.jpeg.d771af1b5e6b0b2a13176828a71db792.jpeg

Yes, the damage is in the side wall. And as I said earlier, internal damage is also there due to driving flat. 
Is it ok to mix-up tire brands? Wouldnt that damage other 3 tires?

2 hours ago, tiv said:

Sounds like a sidewall. 

If it's in the tread area put an internal patch or a tyre repair, but only in the tread area I repeat, fill it up use if for like 2 3 km and see if u see sidewall defects or bubbles

Definitely buy a spare wheel,

If it's a side wall issue 

go to large tyre hoarder, you will probably be able to find a used tyre of the same brand with more or less the same wear for like 10000lkr or a pair even.

Expiry may may not match 

Risks involved yes but you can sustain a few months l.

Another option would be to buy a pair of a cheaper but good brand ie maxxis nankang etc 

And use them both till u can replace the other 2.

Thats a good suggestion to use a cheaper tire brand replacing both rear wheels. Are you sure its a good idea? I would be running on 2 types of tires. I fear that will effect the driving dynamics. 

Also, now that if I replace the tire with another brand new one. Would that effect the quality of other 3 tires? I do not know how far I would be able to run on remaining stock tires. They are made in Germany. The one I got the quotation is from Spain (dealer said) though the brand is the same. 

Edited by Klord

It's best to replace both tyres on an axle with a good quality cheaper brand. Similar tyres with same tread depth on each axle will not cause any issues in handling under normal circumstances unless you plan to take it to a track day! Rotate tyres as usual to get the maximum life. It's always best to change both tyres on an axle.

1 hour ago, CNX said:

It's best to replace both tyres on an axle with a good quality cheaper brand. Similar tyres with same tread depth on each axle will not cause any issues in handling under normal circumstances unless you plan to take it to a track day! Rotate tyres as usual to get the maximum life. It's always best to change both tyres on an axle.

Shoot. I already ordered a Michelin 17 one for 50k. Since the car is fairly new (& tires), I believe it will not be an issue. This tire rotating thing is new to me. I did not know about that before. I wonder how I should approach to that considering now I have 3 tires of same caliber and one newer one. Any thoughts? 

Thank you for quick feedback everyone. Really appreciate them. :)

3 hours ago, Klord said:

Is it ok to mix-up tire brands? Wouldnt that damage other 3 tires?

Nothing will happens to others because of different brand. Anyway now you have ordered same brand ne...

15 hours ago, Klord said:

This tire rotating thing is new to me. I did not know about that before. I wonder how I should approach to that considering now I have 3 tires of same caliber and one newer one. Any thoughts? 

Tyre rotation is an important thing a vehicle user should know. And that's why I suggested you to buy a cheaper one and use until you replace all 4 together. 

Since you ordered new one from same type - 

Front tires are wearing fast. So you could keep new one always in front (but it will tends sidewear so you may need to remove and refit - only if non directional) and rotate other three at every 5,000 km (Since others done only 13K). When others are doing about 60K, your new one also will fully wear by 47k. Then you could replace all 4 together. 

Edited by gayanath

Your tyres are most probably unidirectional. Just move the front tyres to the rear and rear tyres to the front at every service. Don't switch sides. This will keep the tyre wear even. Otherwise the front tyres will wear out faster. As the tyres are nearly new anyway and the replacement is also an expensive one, I guess it's best to treat them all as equal and carry on with rotation to maximize the lifespan. As the other 3 tyres are not worn much you will not notice any difference. If you are paranoid, take a look at the tires of busses vans and lorries on the road. They will have 4 different brands of varying tread depth at the 4 corners and still manage to survive most of the time!

On 3/5/2020 at 10:24 AM, Klord said:

I have the same car, it might make sense for you to invest in one of those donut tires and a jack. Since the space for the spare tire is anyway there, you don't have to sacrifice on space as well.

I got both from Delkanda and they already saved me the trouble once.

9 hours ago, Insedious said:

I have the same car, it might make sense for you to invest in one of those donut tires and a jack. Since the space for the spare tire is anyway there, you don't have to sacrifice on space as well.

Make sure whatever spare you get has the same rolling radius as your tires

Another option is to move your existing good tire to the boot and use it as a spare (assuming there is space for it but i see how that will upend your storage space) and get 2 tires for whichever axle

If you go with just 1 then perhaps move it to the rear axle?

On 3/5/2020 at 9:36 PM, CNX said:

Your tyres are most probably unidirectional. Just move the front tyres to the rear and rear tyres to the front at every service. Don't switch sides. This will keep the tyre wear even. Otherwise the front tyres will wear out faster. As the tyres are nearly new anyway and the replacement is also an expensive one, I guess it's best to treat them all as equal and carry on with rotation to maximize the lifespan. As the other 3 tyres are not worn much you will not notice any difference. If you are paranoid, take a look at the tires of busses vans and lorries on the road. They will have 4 different brands of varying tread depth at the 4 corners and still manage to survive most of the time!

That's a very poor example using someone doing the wrong thing as a relative measure

The same mindset that standards or health and safety are a nuisance or an optional consideration at best

On 3/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, Insedious said:

Weird enough, my Civic came with a jack, though many claimed they did not have a jack when they bought Civics. A spare donut tire costs about 15-18k. I am broke these days, will have to wait till next month to such an investment. :) 

I had trouble configuring Deflation warning system after installing the tire. The warning kept appearing multiple times until it vanishes at the end perhaps after my 15th attempt to initialize it. Did you face a similar scenario when changing the tire?

On 3/7/2020 at 8:20 PM, Devinda_Z said:

Is it the same tread pattern?

Assuming it's the correct size

Its the same tire size & same brand. But the new tires country of origin is Spain while stock tires are from Germany. The thread pattern is almost identical except for a minor difference towards the sidewall of tire. I hope that will not make any issue. 

3 hours ago, Klord said:

I had trouble configuring Deflation warning system after installing the tire. The warning kept appearing multiple times until it vanishes at the end perhaps after my 15th attempt to initialize it. Did you face a similar scenario when changing the tire?

you have to drive the car for a few km's at 40 km/h or over for the system to properly re-calibrate itself.

3 hours ago, Klord said:

Weird enough, my Civic came with a jack, though many claimed they did not have a jack when they bought Civics. A spare donut tire costs about 15-18k. I am broke these days, will have to wait till next month to such an investment. :)

Its the same tire size & same brand. But the new tires country of origin is Spain while stock tires are from Germany. The thread pattern is almost identical except for a minor difference towards the sidewall of tire. I hope that will not make any issue. 

Michelin Primacy 3? or HP?

2 hours ago, CNX said:

If the car came with internal TPMS sensors, the sensor can get damaged when you use the temporary tyre repair liquid. Most manufacturers recommend replacing the sensor if this has been attempted.

Depends on the quality of the repair liquid used.

Tyre SLIME costs a more than the Chinese garbage in the market but is TPMS safe. A friend of mine used my kit with no adverse effects

https://www.slime.com/us/products/dial/auto/sealants/tire-sensor-safe.php