• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Private "Vehicle Inspectors"

Nimtech

Question

There are ads in the media from people who issue car inspection reports for a fee as high as 5,000/- !! Will they wink an eye with the seller and get santhosam of another 10,000/- and issue an "independent" report to me to say that I'm going to buy the best car in that class !!??

8 answers to this question

The agents are pretty decent..so is car checks. They are both good for different things. 

You have to expect that people find these reports excessive based on what they report. For example, the agent might on its report say that a control arm bushing is incompatible or something when functionally it works. However the agent would have pointed it out because based on the manufacturers recommendation, fixing the control arm bushing might include replacing the entire arm, thus, based on manufacturer's recommendation it does not meet the required standards (i.e. the standard the agent has to maintain). Car checks on the other hand gets nit picky about a lot of things...including dried up rubber bushes to a rusted out nail. Yes..this is excessive as you would expect a 10 year old car to have dried out bushes....but on the other hand it is something that would inevitably have to be replaced...So as a buyer...both the reports will inform you on how the car had been maintained and what would be needed immediately and what you should expect to replace in the medium term

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2020 at 1:59 PM, priyanka said:

I m not sure about the Toyota agents reports even

Car sellers are unbelievably familiar with some of the inspectors 

Even Toyota goes ocd on their checks, very elaborate 

Battery condition oil condition atf, blah blah

However I doubt Toyota lanka would go printing out dodgy reports, got reputation to hold. Car sellers do make this point, they offer to get u a TL report only of they know the car is solid. 

• Thanks 1

Also don't underestimate the value of a good test drive on top of an inspection (Agent ideally or else a reputed 3rd party) 

There are things that can manifest itself on a drive that can be missed easily with a stationary inspection which in turn can hide expensive to fix issues

• Thanks 1

I have used Greasemonkey Inspectors vehicle inspection service recently. They are a John Keells holdings company under John Keels X accelerator program. To my experience inspection was pretty good I must say. Technicians arrive at car sellers location on time. Took 1- 1.5 hrs to completely inspect the car with the test run. Plus point is they cover any vehicle Islandwide. Highly recommended ! Try them out 

https://greasemonkeyinspectors.lk