Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • 0
Trump

Mazda 2 2015 Hatchback with SkyActiv

Question

Hi guys,

I've been planning to buy a car for my personal use. This is going to be my first car.

Will be using it to drive out of colombo every weekend about 250km(total trip) and during the week just as a daily driver to work 5-6km.

I've looked at my options and Mazda 2  2015 hatchback with 1.5 skyactiv got my attention. 

Most of the Mazda 2s that are available seems to have been brand new imports by the agent and manufactured in Thailand, according VIN labels on the vehicle itself. But the import documents mention the country of origin as Japan. If someone can clarify these difference in the claims would be great.

Also when I checked with the agent, they told me that there were no different grades imported.

I've looked at the forum threads and couldn't find much information specific to this model, hence would like to get your opinions in regard to given below,

1. Reliability and known issues.

2. Maintainability and parts availability.

and any other comments you may have towards this specific vehicle.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

don't own one but a colleague of mine purchased the car in 2015 brand new (hatchback) and has been using it ever since. Its now done close to 50,000kms.

According to her no known issues apart from the infamous front suspension rattles which popped up quite early. This was a manufacturer defect on the first batch of Mazda3's and Mazda 2's and the agent would have replaced it under warranty if the owner complained about it. The car does around 8 km/l in town and can make do with oil changes every 10,000 kms. The Sky-Activ Engine hasn't had any issues and in the Mazda2 is more than adequate to push the tiny car around. Recently the check engine light came on and it required an injector clean up. She imported it from Colonial Motors and they have all the parts and take care of all the servicing so you should have no issues on maintenance. The car has a really cramped rear seats so not the best for shuttling full size adults long distance but fine if you have smaller children. Even if you are taking it out of town there is good enough ground clearance and its a comfortable cruiser. So long as you can find an agent maintained car with a solid service history- like most of these cars do have- you should have many trouble free km's. Good luck.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 minutes ago, RWD said:

don't own one but a colleague of mine purchased the car in 2015 brand new (hatchback) and has been using it ever since. Its now done close to 50,000kms.

According to her no known issues apart from the infamous front suspension rattles which popped up quite early. This was a manufacturer defect on the first batch of Mazda3's and Mazda 2's and the agent would have replaced it under warranty if the owner complained about it. The car does around 8 km/l in town and can make do with oil changes every 10,000 kms. The Sky-Activ Engine hasn't had any issues and in the Mazda2 is more than adequate to push the tiny car around. Recently the check engine light came on and it required an injector clean up. She imported it from Colonial Motors and they have all the parts and take care of all the servicing so you should have no issues on maintenance. The car has a really cramped rear seats so not the best for shuttling full size adults long distance but fine if you have smaller children. Even if you are taking it out of town there is good enough ground clearance and its a comfortable cruiser. So long as you can find an agent maintained car with a solid service history- like most of these cars do have- you should have many trouble free km's. Good luck.  

Thanks RWD for the reply.

Any idea of likely cost for the manufacturer defect fix in case if the previous owner didn't already fixed it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 minutes ago, Trump said:

Thanks RWD for the reply.

Any idea of likely cost for the manufacturer defect fix in case if the previous owner didn't already fixed it?

I believe the issue was with the front bumper mounts failing - so it shouldn't be an expensive fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

HI Guys,

I'm also looking for advice on this same model Mazda 2 2015 hatch. These cars are bit harder to find in SL. No one I know owned one. Is there anyone here who has or had one?


Thanks

Nav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, MazdaNav said:

HI Guys,

I'm also looking for advice on this same model Mazda 2 2015 hatch. These cars are bit harder to find in SL. No one I know owned one. Is there anyone here who has or had one?


Thanks

Nav

The cars are there, the thing is you won't see much up for sale as most Mazda buyers love their cars and keep them for a long time until they get bored or the warranty/lease runs out. No one here owns one so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
17 minutes ago, AVANTE said:

The cars are there, the thing is you won't see much up for sale as most Mazda buyers love their cars and keep them for a long time until they get bored or the warranty/lease runs out. No one here owns one so far. 

@Supra_Natural had a Mazda 2 Sedan.  I think he sold it and bought a Miata 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I came so close to owning one a week ago. but the the vehicle didn't seem to be in the right shape nor the owner was helpful or enthusiastic to explain some things, so had to let go. 

but the colonial has at least 2 brand-new from 2016 ex-stock, you must be able to bargain.

good luck hunting!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

@Supra_Natural had a Mazda 2 Sedan.  I think he sold it and bought a Miata 

I see

Didn't he mentioned anything about the way it drove? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

[email protected]_Natural had one. He loved the car and had a rather heart breaking moment when he had to part with it and the circumstances that lead to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 3/14/2020 at 6:15 PM, AVANTE said:

I see

Didn't he mentioned anything about the way it drove? 

I can remember he mentioned that it handles well and fun to drive car like any other Mazda 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
25 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

I can remember he mentioned that it handles well and fun to drive car like any other Mazda 

 

On 3/14/2020 at 7:22 PM, iRage said:

[email protected]_Natural had one. He loved the car and had a rather heart breaking moment when he had to part with it and the circumstances that lead to it.

You know your car is special when it has a big tachometer right in the middle :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, AVANTE said:

 

You know your car is special when it has a big tachometer right in the middle :)

Yeah true. But unfortunately someone mentioned in a previous thread that Mazda 2 offered in SL has a small tachometer to the left side.

All_New_Mazda_2_SkyActiv-G-1.3-6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Yeah true. But unfortunately someone mentioned in a previous thread that Mazda 2 offered in SL has a small tachometer to the left side.

All_New_Mazda_2_SkyActiv-G-1.3-6.jpg

Had to ruin it 😕

Now it's as special as a wagonR

Sure the later models here didn't have the center tach? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Had to ruin it 😕

Now it's as special as a wagonR

Sure the later models here didn't have the center tach? 

Agent imports of Mazda 2 and 3 seems to not have it. But Mazda axela proactive 1.5L gasoline models seems to have centre tacho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Centre tach was on JDM imports and 2.5 sky activ models only I think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Have driven a friends 2 pretty oftain and you get the same feeling of power of the 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Agent imports of Mazda 2 and 3 seems to not have it. But Mazda axela proactive 1.5L gasoline models seems to have centre tacho.

 

0200874A20170413R00513.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The Mazda 2 is an excellent choice

 

Nice peppy engine, plenty of oomph and an excellent 6 speed tiptronic gearbox!

 

Perfect size in town. Handles, goes and stops well

 

It's a little short only in the safety tech department for such a new car missing out on side airbags but bar that hardly anything worth fussing about.

 

Very reliable mechanically

 

There may be the odd AC niggle but nothing major

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Greetings all, sorry have not been as active on the form for awhile, will try and remedy that this year. 

Have had a Mazda 2 Sedan since March of 2016 and can confirm what people have mentioned above that it is a very very good car all round. @iRage I didn't actually get rid of it after the dump truck incident (which is what I assume you meant). Thankfully it's a pretty tough built car! 

It's clocked up just over 50k now and other than a few niggles, so far has been pretty reliable overall. Had the front suspension bump stop issue within a month of buying the car, they were replaced under warranty, also had an AC condenser leak that was sorted under warranty in the first year. Finally, had a AC blower issue in 2019 that took a bit of diagnosing to figure out. Other than that, all good.

The car has plenty of power thanks to light weight and the skyactiv engine, while the 6 speed auto is a gem, super smooth and quick shifting. Handling is also pretty fun for a fairly basic car, I upgraded the smallish, low rolling resistance 185/65/16 tyres to 205/55/16s Toyos early on and they made a difference. Just changed front and rear brake pads at the last service too, for the first time. 

Service at Colonial was relatively all right, but I've switched to Mazna motors in Attidiya because they seem rather more knowledgeable and passionate about the brand, honestly. 

Overall, wouldn't hesitate to say go for it, as long as the car is in decent shape. Remember all skyactiv Mazdas are happiest on 95 octane though. 

Edited by Supra_Natural

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Yes...I did mean the dump truck incident :D <Is that the official tag-line its been referred to as ?>. I thought you got rid of it after that...gad to hear you still have it :) 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I own (wifes) a 2016 Mazda 2. Bought it brand new and still using it. Its done 50,000km. Mainly city driving and does good on petrol. So far no issues at all.  Highway driving it can take a bit of time to get to speed but it does. Fuel on highway not so great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, zebra said:

I own (wifes) a 2016 Mazda 2. Bought it brand new and still using it. Its done 50,000km. Mainly city driving and does good on petrol. So far no issues at all.  Highway driving it can take a bit of time to get to speed but it does. Fuel on highway not so great.

It's hard to believe that a car of that size with a 1.5L engine would struggle on highway.  Specially a Mazda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 3/21/2020 at 7:43 AM, sathyajithj99 said:

It's hard to believe that a car of that size with a 1.5L engine would struggle on highway.  Specially a Mazda

@sathyajithj99 your surprise is fair but this i will concede - the Mazda 2 feels a little floaty over 90 in that it doesn't feel as planted as a Euro car would on the highway nor as well insulated as a big Japanese sedan might. It doesn't like crosswinds either but these are minor considering that neither are major issues when driven at/under the speed limit.

@zebra speed is often relative so when you say slow to get up to speed are we talking 100 kmph or beyond?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...