• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which Fuel (octane) To Use..

hefraz

Got my self an Allion a few days back and now i'm confused as to what fuel I need to use.

Went online and did some research but I am no wiser as most websites on the Allion are in Japanese.

The general opinion is that unless recommended higher octane will not provide the benefits needed.

And most car ECU'S adjust to regular fuel. An American website says,

"Check your owner’s manual to find out what fuel octane rating your car's engine needs then buy it. Resist the urge to buy higher-octane gas for “premium” performance, unless your car requires it. Octane has nothing to do with the gasoline’s performance, merely its volatility factor in the combustion chamber".

Can anyone shed some light on this, I know most people swear by 95 octane fuel but should I pump 95 to my Allion??

thanks for your advice in advance...

Edited by hefraz

Got my self an Allion a few days back and now i'm confused as to what fuel I need to use.

Went online and did some research but I am no wiser as most websites on the Allion are in Japanese.

The general opinion is that unless recommended higher octane will not provide the benefits needed.

Can anyone shed some light on this, I know most people swear by 95 octane fuel but should I pump 95 to my Allion??

Since SL is notorious for fuel packed with impurities, 95 is probably the best way to go I guess..

Considering the level of quality in fuel in SL, vehicle owners don't seem to have much of a choice.

Despite new age cars being imported into the country the support services and necessary consumable quality has not been improved.

If I were you, I will go with the 95. The difference in performance will not be that significant.

Hey just want to know if there is difference in IOC fuel and Ceypetco.

I have heard many times that Ceypetco has less Sulphur.

Anyone over here with any knowledge. Also how does sulphur affect and engine.

Does it have a corrosive effect on the engine. ?

By the way for people who want to upgrade the Octane can use Toluene Rs 700 for 4 Litres ( Have to use 10 liters for 50 Litres Fuel Tank ) or Wurth Octaine Booster ( Rs 1200 and works on 60 Litres ) Can be brought from Laughs Stations. I would now recomend on Wurth Octane Booster as its proffesionaly Developed for car engines. Also its cheaper.

Edited by Velocity

since my car was imported from singapore(not an allion tho), i have an english manual! it adivces to pump 90 octane and is accompanied by a warning indicating that the catalic converter associated devices might get damaged if higher octane is used?

i have pumped both 90 and 95 and have observed absolutely no difference in either performance or consumption...(may be i am not sensitive :P ) besides my uncle who knows a thing or two about cars has told me that 90 ocatne we get is under a regulated specification and 95 octane has none of that sorts. hence adviced me to pump 90 octane as my car no racing spec car!

i guess the key is compression ratio, invariably our nor mal day to day cars should run 90 octane and any race spec car(having higher compression) like vzr,sti, integra etc. etc. should run 95!

By the way for people who want to upgrade the Octane can use Toluene Rs 700 for 4 Litres ( Have to use 10 liters for 50 Litres Fuel Tank ) or Wurth Octaine Booster ( Rs 1200 and works on 60 Litres ) Can be brought from Laughs Stations. I would now recomend on Wurth Octane Booster as its proffesionaly Developed for car engines. Also its cheaper.

is it dat u pump 90 ocatne and then use Toluene? or is it pumping 95 and use Toluene to upgrade it to 98?

machan its better to pump 95 and then use octane booster.

But i think allion will do allright on 95. cars like WRX or evolutions should be run with 98 usually.

But 95 is not a problem. but once i remember aravinda premadasa telling me that runing a rex on 95 may affect the bearings long term.

I'm not aware if there is a distinct difference between IOC and Ceypetco Fuel- but it would make sense that they come from the same refineries.

However, given that earlier thread regarding the water-in-petrol incident which ruined a certain mazda, i only pump at Laughs or ceypetco.

And there is a definite difference between 90 and 95- the few times i've had to pump 90 when 95 was unavailable- there is a definite loss of power, the engine 'pings' in low rpm, and has a rougher idle/running.

As for sulphur contents in petrol- this is a high selling point for more environmentally friendly fuel; the lower the sulphur content, the better. But as far as effects on the engine, its negligible as it is burnt to become Sulphur Dioxide emissions (key ingredient in acid rain).

i remember reading somewhere that the problem with mitsu gdi engines is due to sulpur int he fuel...

At current prices, you'll only be saving in the region of Rs.200 on a tank of 90 as opposed to 95 I believe. Might be worth putting 95 in that case.

As for the Ceypetco/IOC thing, a lot of people have told me that when you put Ceypetco (90oct) in a bottle and compare it with IOC, the IOC stuff looks filthy and usually has a lot of sediment etc. Don't know how true it is as I haven't seen it myself.

And there is a definite difference between 90 and 95- the few times i've had to pump 90 when 95 was unavailable- there is a definite loss of power, the engine 'pings' in low rpm, and has a rougher idle/running.

datz coz ur car runs on a higher compression ratio than normal cars... urz z Carina GT right... i guess for normal cars 95 octane does not make a difference?

Top gear did a comparison with using different fuels. Shell Optimax 98 RON, BP Ultimate 97 RON and normal unleaded 95 RON.

The general findings were, if you have a fuel efficient engine there will be no increase in bhp, but the subaru WRX saw an increase of about 30 bhp when using 98 RON. And a Golf GTI got about 7 bhp.

So the most benefits were seen by the high powdered turbocharged cars.

Not too sure if high reving N/A cars get any benefit.

Not too sure if high reving N/A cars get any benefit.

for instance the Integra Type R must be pumped 98 ocatane to make use of it higher compression and produce the claimed full 220hp!

on the contrary the same engine wit a different tune up in the Integra S Type(Acura Type S) drinks 95 octane albeit producing a mere 200hp!

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...

is there any difference between "octane 95 @ ceypetco" AND "extra premium @ IOC"??? are IOC guys selling octane 95 named as "EXTRA PREMIUM" ?one of ma friend told me that "extra premium"is not octane 95.they are mixing some chemical(like soltrone) to the normal petrol.is that true???

My previous car Lancer EX 1.5 (A) came with recommended 95 Octane, however according to the user manual if not available could be run on lower octane and according to the manual a small drop in power / economy.

I switched from 95 to 90 when CPC decided to increase the price difference to Rs. 18 from Rs. 5 and did not observe any significant power loss and no change in economy apart from the saving of Rs. 900 on each fill up.

Same form with my current ride Swift 1.240 (CVT) even with an 11:1 compression ratio.

My advice if your car doesn’t need it save the cash.

is there any difference between "octane 95 @ ceypetco" AND "extra premium @ IOC"??? are IOC guys selling octane 95 named as "EXTRA PREMIUM" ?one of ma friend told me that "extra premium"is not octane 95.they are mixing some chemical(like soltrone) to the normal petrol.is that true???

AFAIK, Extra Premium is 91 octane and which comes with friction busters along with other additives like some detergent chemicals to keep your injectors and the environment clean. (they say!)

I remember IOC had all three different petrol such as Octane 90, Xtra Premium(octane 91) and Octane 95.

• Like 1

My previous car Lancer EX 1.5 (A) came with recommended 95 Octane, however according to the user manual if not available could be run on lower octane and according to the manual a small drop in power / economy.

I switched from 95 to 90 when CPC decided to increase the price difference to Rs. 18 from Rs. 5 and did not observe any significant power loss and no change in economy apart from the saving of Rs. 900 on each fill up.

Same form with my current ride Swift 1.240 (CVT) even with an 11:1 compression ratio.

My advice if your car doesn’t need it save the cash.

um I think its 10.0:1 compression ratio , only the 1.6L has the high compression ratio 11:1 due to its high reving engine ;) correct me if m wrong ;)

nyways we too hv a 260 allion , didnt bother pumping 95 , 90 does ok, plus thers no power loss or a increase

Edited by cruze5151