• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How good is Toyota Prius 2010 ?

Randy777

Hi all. I'm looking to buy a car. I was looking at Prius 2010. Just wondering about the pros and cons of the specific modle, especially about the hybrid battery lifetime, ABS issue, fuel consumption and service maintain cost..

I'd really appreciate if someone help me out.. tnx ?

Up until resently i was a complete anti prius guy. But as the opening of the new highway and having things in Hambantota decided to cut down on traveling costs amd added a prius to the garage.

From experiences of hunting one down, i noticed the main comcerns on the vehicle are the,

Battery pack,

ABS,

And steering rack.

As there is a large inflow of parts for the prius most of the parts are dirt cheap.

I checked the prices of each repair and most were cheap.

I gave priority to the looks and some options like cruise control which is important for highway driving.

I bought one with some options with low milage but with a battery issue. The battery was almlst 10 years old. It only took me Rs.30 000 to repair with few new cells and now it runs like clockwork. And there was a steering rack issues that i sorted with a refirbished rack for Rs.10 000. 

Even to sort out 2 major issues it took me less than the price it takes to do a service on a new euro car.

Its pretty economical. Thats the reason i got one in the 1st place. It does around 18 in colombo and  around 25kmpl long distance.

It only takes around Rs. 2000 to from colombo to hambantota and back to colombo. Some say a new battery will increase fuel economy, but heck this economy is more than enough for me.

The car is a robust car there are some units that have run close to 500 000km and still running. Most elctronics and specialy the gear box is uber reliable compared to some other vehicles.

Well if you compare it with the premio it has better acceleration due to the electric assist and also better handling not to mentioned the economy. And is relatively comfortable for its class.

Only used for few months so not an expert on it but up to now totally satisfied with it specially compared to its rivals like the axio allion and premio.

Thing is its common as hell so if you need some sort of an identity pick a rare colour. Maybe add a spoiler etc..

So go ahead and buy one. Parts are dirt cheap and readyly available. A lot of garages know haw to reapir them as its common. And its economical as hell. What more can you ask for. Even if there are no battery issues in other vehicles other repairs will come to the battery price.

When buying dont trust too much on new battery warrenty things. Because batteries can easyly be swaped. Best thing is to buy with the old battery and repair or replace yourself. And as always avoid buying from sales.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My cousin had a 2010 and her husband has a 2015 (new one). 2010 got quite a beating with school run, short trips but was reliable as a typical Toyota. Economy i believe was par with what Clark'sson mentioned above. 2015 is unbelievably economical returning average 30-35 kmpl on very relaxed commute of 40-50 km at average speed around 50-60 kmph (daily commute)

We have one hired 2013 in office which has clocked over 250k km still original (even suspension)

If you are into high mileage and want a comfortable no nonsense car one of the best options available.

Word of warning most of them are uses as hired vehicles/ cabs and are hacked to death and most probably clocked after running to moon and back. Get a privately owned one with reliable history. You will not be able to find a low mileage ones as no one will buy a Prius to park and keep at home.

• Like 1