• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

KIA Stonic 2019/2020 vs Toyota C-HR 2017

shirand

Hi,

I was using few cars during last few years and now planning to go for a crossover.

My budget is 6 mil (max 6.2). 

Currently evaluating brand new zero mileage KIA Stonic Ex luxury package against Toyota C-HR GT 2017 reconditioned less than 20,000 km on odometer. 

KIA Stonic: Possible buy as of now. Went there and took a test drive (Ex grade with luxury package, which has leather interior). Satisfied about the features, comfort and the look and feel for the price they offer (5.5 mil). There might be some pros (5 year agent warranty) and cons (DCT/ GDI). Still this may be a good buy. 

But the Stonic got only normal cruise control. Not adaptive cruise control or safely features like auto brake/ radar brake etc. The agent doesn’t bring Stonic safety edition to SL. Therefore decided to look at a C-HR within my budget. 

Toyota C-HR: Managed to find a 2017 GT version with around 15,000 km on the odo. for 6.2 mil. This C-HR got safety features such as radar brake, adaptive cruise control etc. and interior quality is good.

Which one would be the ideal one to buy considering the reliability and resale value?

If I buy an imported used car from a car sale what precautions should I follow and what kind of checks should I do?

Thank you for your valueable advices and opinions as always...

Well..the CHR being a Toyota will have a better demand than the Kia just because it is a Toyota.

Are you looking at an AWD or 2WD ? Either way..the vehicle is pretty nice to drive and feels rather plush for its category. 

Get the auction sheets verified, the JAAI sheets verified. But most of all take it to a place like car checks or the agents and get it inspected thoroughly. This is one thing I like about car checks...they are extremely asinine about things that it is unreasonable (eg...they will put a black mark on a 10 year old car for having a wiper blade worn out...or indicate a dent on the floor..) it is unreasonable but at least you get to know what is there and not there in the car so you can decided you want to take the risk or not. The agent would do the same but a little bit more relaxed..although I think the agent is more thorough on the mechanical aspect of things.

Yes..the inspection costs..but spending 3K-8K to secure your 6.2mil investment I believe is wise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 more things while I’m in the process of checking the C-HR. 

(1) When I searched on the jpcenter.ru with the chassis number by paying 10$ it was not found. So I paid another 10$ and requested a manual search report. It will take 24 hours. Is this a normal case or any strange thing?

(2) When I checked the engine compartment of the C-HR, behind the coolant tank (in front of the drivers side windscreen) 3 black color sealant/ glue like patches noticed as in below image (circled with red color)  When I asked seller said those are coming from the factory. Can anyone/ CH-R owner please confirm on this?

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by shirand

Both are normal....

Sometimes the auction period would have elapsed...the records are kept online/public only for X months...it also depends on how the car was purchased....if the car was sent to auction but sold pre-auction then the records get delayed in putting on or sometimes it does not even get entered.

Those marks are typical in any car. It is used to cover up rivets, weld points,etc...to protect it from rusting out. I do now know where those points are on a CHR. I would say...just take it for an actual inspection locally. Doesn't hurt. Then irrespective of what the documents say or if you are able to get them verified or not...you know what the car is as it stands in front of you. Consider this hypothetical scenario : Some one imports a legitimate car...all documents come clean...however, the car is used locally without registration for a few months..has a few fender benders (or even a full accident) and gets fixed up. How will you know ? This is hypothetical..but considering the nuber of unregistered cars are actually held in stock and the number of garage plated cars running around..it is a distinct possibility.

• Like 1

Congratulations ! That s a nice color ❤️ and I love the fact that it does not have any weird alien inspired tit-bits hanging all over the place.

Black cars are a pain in the rear end to maintain...even the slightest bit of dust cover shows up like it has had a mud bath, swirls just look horrid at night and even the slightest scratches stick out like a sore thumb. Here are some tips....

* a pressure washer is your best friend. Pressure wash the hell out of it before you touch it with a washing sponge.

* use a good wash and wax shampoo (I personally love the Meguiar one..pricey but lasts an age)

* have separate wash sponges and and wipe cloths and use the multi bucket method for washing.

* Use a good wax

• Like 2

Congrats! Black looks good on that  stormtrooperish design  If you don't mind me asking what's the YOM or mileage? If you managed to get it for your initial budget then great! 

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @iRage  I also like it without any additional body kit and unnecessary bells & whistles. No intention of doing any modifications. 

BTW, anyone can please explain what is the small liver/ switch like thing below the dashboard and steering wheel (left side) of the C-HR? Attached pics. 

I tried to search and find what’s that in owners manual and on Google but couldn’t. Curios to know what is that and the functionality/ usage of that. 

E9529AE9-541C-4559-AE5E-D491D2D24D27.jpeg

B0802765-4BC4-4543-96AB-F850D47710BF.jpeg

That looks like an aftermarket fitment. Probably the previous owner fitted it....Yes Yes ! Turn it on and off ! Who knows..maybe your lights will start flashing....oooh...or the car will do a funky bouncing dance...Now I am inspired ! I want to put an aftermarket switch inmy car to control the TV at home :D

On 3/24/2020 at 1:06 PM, iRage said:

That looks like an aftermarket fitment. Probably the previous owner fitted it....Yes Yes ! Turn it on and off ! Who knows..maybe your lights will start flashing....oooh...or the car will do a funky bouncing dance...Now I am inspired ! I want to put an aftermarket switch inmy car to control the TV at home :D

I would be careful, it may be for the ejector seat.

• Haha 1