• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How to verify an auction sheet is original or fake?

shirand

5 hours ago, iRage said:

It was the larger ones who stated this in the first place way back in the 80s. In 1987ish my dad wanted to buy a car and all he could find were not very good cars...coincidentally mom went to Japan during that time on a work trip and dad went specifically to buy a car (got an EE80 for 280,000LKR after taxes). There after he started importing cars for a few of his friends and acquaintances. At that time it was mainly the big car dealers...famous one from Kandy/Mahagastota, then another one who had a showroom next to a girls'school in Bamba...plus one or two more. The smaller homegrown sellers were the more honest ones. In fact some of these large car salesmen were caught out in Japan when a famous exporter over here was caught welding up cars together as part of their reconditioning process. This is why the whole "recondition" certification was stopped back in the mid/late 80s.

No kidding? I always did wonder what competitive advantage that big 'trader' from Kandy had, that made them so successful. I always thought it was due to their location giving them prime access to the central and northern province consumers. Its Sad. Quite sad that they were one of first to adopt this scam...No wonder they did so well as buyers from those areas wouldn't be as savvy either. ?

5 hours ago, thusharak340 said:

Oh it means odometer can be changed only just Rs 2,500 !!!!

Its disgusting now cheap and prevalent it is. Especially as the authorities ( and other professional bodies governing / unifiying the industry- if that can be called that) seem powerless to stop it. 

For x10 less than the cost of a service you can just roll the mileage back and no one is the wiser...plus if all the big importers are doing it; all the smaller fry will most likely follow to stay competative.

Question is how do we thart this / stop this / nullify practice? For cars being imported into Sri Lanka and bought from importers, the only soluation is to always check the original auction documents showing the condition of the car and mileage for a small fee or via blogs as above. If everyone did this it would help weed out the dishonest dealers and importers may hesitate to roll back the mileage.

(For already imported cars that have been registered and used in Sri Lanka: Go read on how to check used cars carefully for damage / inconsistencies as discussed previously.)

Edited by Kavvz

And this gets worse, biggest scam I've heard and the extent one goes to cheat.

Buy a car give it on rent clock 50-60k per year

Half way through change tires and keep originals

Prior to emission check clock the car back to 6-7k, do a service at the agent.

Do this for 2-3 years, do a nice valet, refit original tires and sell the car.

A car with with perfect history low mileage 20-30K with agent maintained records and emission history, actual mileage 150-160K

Oh by the way they generally replace the steering and the gear knob

Hope this scam can be checked with ECU data

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kush said:

.....Hope this scam can be checked with ECU data

Wow. Crazy story....unfortunately, as far as I know, there's is no easy way to tell once the mileage gets turned back.

Some start-stop info does get logged on the ECU but if they are rolling mileage back on brands like Mercedes and BMW which are known to be tough to thwart, then I guess they are more than capable of squaring that end up as well...

I can see how giving a car out to a car rental company or a taxi company for a year can easily rack up the mileage pretty quick. And it's disgusting that such cars can then quite easily  be flipped to clueless consumers under the methodology above...It's pretty crazy. 

This also makes me wonder whether there is a likelyhood of this being done in Japan too before it hits the used car auctions? I mean if our buggers are capable of such scams, I assume it can be done in Japan too? And will auction inspectors be looking at Japanese annual mileage records on cars that come into auction for discrepancies? Or do they just inspect the car as it stands in front of them and note their findings? 

Edited by Kavvz

On 5/30/2020 at 7:52 AM, kush said:

And this gets worse, biggest scam I've heard and the extent one goes to cheat.

Buy a car give it on rent clock 50-60k per year

Half way through change tires and keep originals

Prior to emission check clock the car back to 6-7k, do a service at the agent.

Do this for 2-3 years, do a nice valet, refit original tires and sell the car.

A car with with perfect history low mileage 20-30K with agent maintained records and emission history, actual mileage 150-160K

Oh by the way they generally replace the steering and the gear knob

Hope this scam can be checked with ECU data

@kush is there enough of a margin to be made come resale time to justify the expense of all that, not to mention the effort?

Crazy the lengths people go to :( 

On 5/30/2020 at 9:17 AM, Kavvz said:

Wow. Crazy story....unfortunately, as far as I know, there's is no easy way to tell once the mileage gets turned back.

Some start-stop info does get logged on the ECU but if they are rolling mileage back on brands like Mercedes and BMW which are known to be tough to thwart, then I guess they are more than capable of squaring that end up as well...

I can see how giving a car out to a car rental company or a taxi company for a year can easily rack up the mileage pretty quick. And it's disgusting that such cars can then quite easily  be flipped to clueless consumers under the methodology above...It's pretty crazy. 

This also makes me wonder whether there is a likelyhood of this being done in Japan too before it hits the used car auctions? I mean if our buggers are capable of such scams, I assume it can be done in Japan too? And will auction inspectors be looking at Japanese annual mileage records on cars that come into auction for discrepancies? Or do they just inspect the car as it stands in front of them and note their findings? 

Hi,

the thing is that need to ratify the issue before buy the vehicle,  even though if we could ratify the  issue in various ways, it would be in vain because the vehicle is already bought.