• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

KUV100 NXT, another DFSK580 or a new era in Sri Lankan Auto manufacturing?

ajm

KUV100 NXT, another DFSK580 or a new era in Sri Lankan Auto manufacturing?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. what will be the acceptance of KUV100 NXT among SL drivers

• another DFSK580
    • same as Alto, Celerio, Kwid..
    • same as Micro SUVs
    • same as Korean,JP SUVs excluding Micro

1 hour ago, Devinda_Z said:

@The Don what about the components / raw material for manufacture? Will those be exempt from the import restrictions?

The export companies will have an excuse to import, thread or fabric as an example, given the local value addition and potential forex earning capacity but what will Mahindra/Ideal do you reckon?

I've only seen part of the gazette. But I believe raw material such as fabric and steel is not subject to import restrictions as the former will also kill the garment industry.

However as even Ideal/Mahindra import most parts from abroad, I do not think its feasible to continue production with restrictions on most other auto parts, at least for a few months. The government may grant the local assemblers an exemption at least with some limits to help them stay afloat. 

It is a bit sad that our value addition is still only tyres, exhaust, seats and battery. It is expensive to buy the body part presses, but I wonder if we can follow the Perouda model of buying the presses (and moulds) off a previous model, import the engine, gear box running gear, make the plastics, wiring harnesses in the country with the capability of replacing the kei cars, which are our biggest import. 

That in the current climate will only happen with international collaboration like Ideal/Mahindra because of the investment needed. But the market is there. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...