• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Americans are planning to kill an Australian

Crosswind

No, it's not @Davy, although I wouldn't have minded that ?.

America's GM is planning to pull out RHD markets, including Australia, Thailand and New Zealand. This includes killing the Australian brand Holden, known for V8s and V6s. 

Two years ago, GM pulled out of India and sold its European brands Opel and Vauxhall to PSA. Instead of selling Holden, GM opted to axe the brand instead. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/02/17/general-motors-winding-historic-holdenbrand-pulls-asia/amp/

• Haha 1

Great warranties, reasonable build quality and aggressive pricing of the two Korean Brands really helped in wiping out Holden, I think... 

Apart from the Pony cars and some SUV`s, this market has no real appeal for American brands any longer.... Plus, it`s such a tiny market for GM in the larger scale of things. 

20 minutes ago, MrCat said:

Great warranties, reasonable build quality and aggressive pricing of the two Korean Brands really helped in wiping out Holden, I think... 

Apart from the Pony cars and some SUV`s, this market has no real appeal for American brands any longer.... Plus, it`s such a tiny market for GM in the larger scale of things. 

When Holden stopped production in Adelaide few years ago, Ford and Toyota followed suit almost immediately. That move essentially set off a chain reaction. What's your take on Ford this time around? Will they also eventually pull out?

The two Koreans and their Chinese relatives still don't have a grip on the UTE market do they?

20 hours ago, Crosswind said:

When Holden stopped production in Adelaide few years ago, Ford and Toyota followed suit almost immediately. That move essentially set off a chain reaction. What's your take on Ford this time around? Will they also eventually pull out?

The two Koreans and their Chinese relatives still don't have a grip on the UTE market do they?

Producing cars in Australia these days (small local market, extremely high overheads, well established Asian plants producing at an efficient rate, etc...) is a joke really. Australia could do well with high end manufacturing of certain components I suppose, but not whole cars. 

Ford is doing well with the Ranger, i think they are within the top 5 manufacturers in terms of total car volume. Since small/medium SUV`s are selling in bunches these days, not having a well performing SUV is a disadvantage though. The little Ecosport thing is hideous, dont see may Escape`s around (next size up) and the bigger Everest is more expensive than the Toyota Fortuner and Mitsubishi Montero Sport (similar specs). All in all, dont think they`ll pull out though, they`ve got commercial vehicles going well. 

Yeah, few Chinese brands are trying to break in to the UTE market, but the Koreans currently dont` play. But apparently both are planning to introduce a UTE within a few years. Considering how well Kia is performing and how awesome their model/spec positioning is, it`ll surely give the Hilux and Ranger a run for its money. 

20 hours ago, AVANTE said:

GM is like the serial killer of the car world.

Saab, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn & now this. 

Probably because they`ve aquired a whole heap of retarded brands with no real purpose. :D  Being special and engineering excellence doesn't sell cars these days (i.e. SAAB). User friendly design, tech/connectivity, safety, reliability and value for money does. :) In other words, everybody wants the most awesome appliance on wheels. 

Edited by MrCat