• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Tiida Reverse Gear Won't Engage

rajika4ever

Question

I have a Nissan Tiida 2008 model, clocked at 96k. 

Today suddenly reverse gear stopped working. no matter engine is cold or hot it's not working, however when I put the gear into R and accelerate the engine, its engaging about at 3000 rpm. Once it engaged I can reverse without problem. Other gears are working fine as usual. I have change the gear oil every 30k miles with Nissan branded trans oil. also i have checked the gear oil levels and its not low.

What could be the problem?

How much it cost to replace the auto gearbox

I am from kandy. Are there any reputed gearbox mechanics around kandy?

11 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, rajika4ever said:

That guy seems rebuild the tranny..

Yeah but you could try the suggestions made by others on that thread... seems like you got the issue somewhat early, that guy had 180k miles (almost 300k kms) when that happened to his transmission

If you're going through the rebuild or replacement option these guys have the parts for it (recon)

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=469902340344715

Edited by Hyaenidae

This happens today after driving like 40 KM at about 4PM. I park the car at home for about 5 Hours and tried to put Reverse gear just now  and it WORKED!! but with a delay. Maybe 3-4 Seconds. 

Can this due to oil getting less thicker when its getting hot? and is working now with cold oil?

When you say that you had transmission fluid replaced every 30,000km, was it a drain and fill or a proper fluid change where the transmission oil pan was removed, cleaned and oil filter replaced? 

If you haven't done the latter, I suggest you get it done and observe the behaviour. While they are at it, ask them to inspect the valve body (especially the reverse gear solenoid) to ensure the o-rings are not leaking. A common cause of shift delays is due to low transmission oil pressure. If the oil level is okay, it's likely that the valve body o-rings are leaking. 

@rajika4ever@Davy, @Hyaenidae Can this somehow be related to corrosive battery terminals? I've heard this can "sometimes" cause transmission issues.

We have the same model clocked at 160k and this exact issue started happening to me yesterday. The battery did indeed had slightly corroded terminals. Cleaned the air filter and recharged the battery and it started to shift fine again. Working okay so far. Will update any events.

Edited by PJayX

So update:

After the last "fix" with the battery terminals, it worked fine for a little while but then the issue came back again. Had to rev a lot for it to get moving in reverse. Tried @Twin Turbo 's suggestion and did a complete ATF oil replacement cleaning the filters and everything. But yeah found no luck with that either. At this point I figured I had to bite the bullet and take it to a garage.

After some research I found that applying a "repair kit" can solve the the problem but also found that the procedure done in many places in SL can be somewhat sketchy and provided no guarantee as well. It also costs almost the same as the amount it takes to just put in a new gearbox. So that's what ended up happening. I replaced the gearbox for a reconditioned one and that fixed it. Been a few days now and it feels okay so far.

Unfortunately I still didn't manage to find out exactly why this happened in the first place. All I found was that two of the old gearbox mounts (top left and bottom) were damaged and had to be replaced. But those could've been damaged after the issue started happening. All in all the whole situation ended up costing me around 1.7 lakhs which is a bit ridiculous but that's the situation these days I guess.

TLDR: Had to replace the gearbox and the issue might be related to damaged gearbox mounts

On 2/9/2020 at 1:47 AM, rajika4ever said:

I have a Nissan Tiida 2008 model, clocked at 96k. 

Today suddenly reverse gear stopped working. no matter engine is cold or hot it's not working, however when I put the gear into R and accelerate the engine, its engaging about at 3000 rpm. Once it engaged I can reverse without problem. Other gears are working fine as usual. I have change the gear oil every 30k miles with Nissan branded trans oil. also i have checked the gear oil levels and its not low.

What could be the problem?

How much it cost to replace the auto gearbox

I am from kandy. Are there any reputed gearbox mechanics around kandy?

Hello I have nissan tiida problem is the gearbox please 🙏 can you help me