• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Garage incompetence/scammers

AVANTE

I've read a handful of posts about garages carrying out repairs incorrectly, doing extra damages and basically helping the owner empty out the wallet more. From a simple service to a paintjob, if they break it, you pay for it.

Aren't there any laws or legal way of fighting such buggers? Some garages will pay up/compensate but some will outright ignore. Of course, condemning them on social media won't pay you back. So how do you tackle such a situation?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Strangely none so far.

What about you DevZ? Ever came across such careless buggers?

The forum has a few stories but I don't think anything has really come of it in terms of structured compensation

In typical Sri Lankan fashion we'll fuss and forget ??‍♂️

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

In typical Sri Lankan fashion we'll fuss and forget ??‍♂️

...but in many ways...there is reason for that. Consumer protection mechanisms in Sri Lanka are appalling.

On one hand, consumers know that if they pursue legal action it is going to take a whole lot of time and money that it is going to end up costing a lot more on top of what the person has lost in terms of the car's poor repairs. 

On the other hand, these garages and car salesmen know that the system does not protect consumers and that even if a consumer does pursue legal action it will take a life time for anything to happen. So they are quite comfortable to continue pretty much doing whatever shoddy work they are doing (or selling whatever death traps they are selling)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, iRage said:

So they are quite comfortable to continue pretty much doing whatever shoddy work they are doing (or selling whatever death traps they are selling)

I guess condemning them on social media & google maps and telling others to avoid them (and giving them a sound beating incase something goes wrong) will help

1 minute ago, AVANTE said:

I guess condemning them on social media & google maps and telling others to avoid them (and giving them a sound beating incase something goes wrong) will help

Yes..but to what extent....I know an electrician (residential) who got named and shamed like that. The guy closed down shop and then started his practice under a different name. 

2 minutes ago, iRage said:

Yes..but to what extent....I know an electrician (residential) who got named and shamed like that. The guy closed down shop and then started his practice under a different name. 

Let him get named & shamed & beaten up again I guess. Also, our lankan consumers should understand the difference between caveat emptor and 'making the bugger pay up'.

But this is also the reason why we can never own a european vehicle in this side, as all the experts and proper mechs are there in Colombo or far way places. Even a simple suspension repair can be disastrous for the wallet. Heck, one maka baas of a reputable spare parts shop broke our Vezel's downwards-tilting function of the rear view mirror when you put the gear into R (one mirror was worth 70k at that time).

So they can't do jap cars properly, safe to say they can never think of touching a euro either.

We are stuck in a vicious cycle....if the consumer protection mechanisms are to be re-enforced and to actually  protect the consumer, a lot of policies and standards need to be enforced; that means garages, mechanics, technicians need to fix themselves up quite a lot including getting properly trained. Getting properly trained...just like any other profession, costs and that cost needs to be recouped. In SL the masses simply are not willing to pay for services. 

• Sad 1

Not related, but there was this famous turnkey construction company who was contracted to build my house. I was not satisfied with some of their work. They did not attend to correction work even with several reminders. I sent a letter of demand but no progress. Finally I kept commenting on their Facebook page.

They deleted in the morning but I re-commented in the evening, this went on for about two weeks. Finally I think due to the negative impact they gave me a meeting with the chairman and got the issue solved. Power of social media.

• Like 2