• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Weekly commute car [4.5m budget]

roosht3

Question

Hello guys, a new guy here and registered to get some information regarding a purchase. Also I dig deep the forums and found some interesting information. This is my first purchase

• I will be traveling around 400 kms once or twice per month [CMB-PTM]. 
  • Two of them will use the car
  • I will be carrying minor stuffs
  • Expressways, highways and less city
  • Preference is full sedan but aqua works too
  • Prefer both type of gears
  • good sporty looking
  • most importantly a good resale value since I will be getting a permit in 4-5 years. So hoping to change the car. 

As mentioned in the title my budget would be around of 4.5million. +0.3-0.5  

Edited by roosht3

7 answers to this question

Hi..welcome to the forums...I hope members will give you some sound advice...but I have to ask...there are quite a few other threads that discuss exactly the same as your's....same budget...same condition/s.Granted things might be slightly different but not that much to make the responses there drastically different to what people could tell you here. So when you dug deep in to these threads...what exactly did you find not fitting your requirements ? After all..it is the same sedans and the same hatchback and the same Aqua that is discussed there that would be discussed here...

Edited by iRage

I see....I would say the best way to go about it is check the classified to see what cars fit your budget (that is how we ourselves would know what cars are available at certain prices because none of us are car salesmen and nor do we have a network of friends large enough that one of them would always be buying a car)...and then come search for the pros and cons of these cars. You will get a lot more that way and if you notice what the serious members actually like to talk about..you will see that they much rather talk about the cars than the price of cars :)

Some notes on your requirements....

- It is going to be hard to find manual cars if you are looking at a car that is anything after early/mid 2000s

- Only sporty looking ? SO even an Axio with a body kit would work ? But then what would you consider sporty looking ? Rear boot spoiler, side skirts, front bumper spoiler and alloy wheels ? Or do you want lowered suspension ? sleek and low slung body ? I am guessing you are rather young...so are you actually saying you want a youthful looking car ? <not a car that looks like a grandfatherly aged guy would drive) ?

- If your budget is 4.2 - 5.0mil you should not spend your entire budget on buying a car. THere is a thread on how to buy a used car..please go through it to see why and what you should check for.

There are discussions on buying used Hybrid cars....so I am hoping you know the cons of buying a second hand Hybrid. SInce you plan to use it for 4-5 years you need something that will not require any significant investment in pre-emptive maintenance (like changing batteries).  SO I would say stick to a petrol powered car.

If you search the AL adverts and other online classifieds you will see the cars that will fit your budget are cars from the early 2010s and would be models like the Lancer EX and the Axela if you want Japanese or slightly newer cars from Korean manufacturers. Stay away from Corollas because those are cars that are abused. So search for pointers on those cars in the forum. If you are in to hatches then you can look for something lile a 1300/1500cc petrol Vitz, Fit and some other Korean hatches.

• Thanks 1

On the other hand.....this is just a suggestion....why not go for a smaller and cheaper car...save up some money and buy a decent car with your permit ? If you spend less now (i.e. save up on your savings or lease payments); you will have more money at hand to spend on your permit car.

If you look at the prices of Lancer EXs and Axelas you will see 2007/2008 models go for around 3.7mil on average....if you go for a hatch like a Swift RS..it will be a lot less...so that is a 1mil lesser burden onyour current purchase which can be used later on for your permit car.

@iRage Thanks for the detailed explanation. 

- I am fine with autos.

- exactly. [youthful looking] spot on. but low clearance in Puttalam is a nightmare. 

- I read the entire thread and enlightened with it. I am having an extra few hundred thousands for some repairs that could arise. 

- Hybrid cars seems a no no and most of them who owns doesn't want me to buy a hybrid. 

on a side note: How about a premio which is a decent looking. 2013/2012 ?

6 hours ago, roosht3 said:

Thanks for the expert suggestion. I am more worried about the mileage that comes with it (maintenance, resale value). Anyway I will put this on my priority list. 

Well..buying a cheaper Swift (which is actually sporty looking) is not going to have any more maintenance concerns than a used Premio you are going to buy. You should know by now that Premio is a car that is usually used rather harshly by users who were cheap on maintenance and then dressed up and made shiny for a quick sale at an over rated price. In fact you would have a better chance of finding a Swift or an i10 or a Picanto that is in much better condition and honest than a Premio.

I find it strange you think the Premio looks youthful. The Premio looks like its for old people...in fact Toyota designed it and marketed it for older people as a mature car and the Allion as the slightly more versatile car. Either way...honest and clean Allions/Premios at reasonable prices are unheard of. So yeah...I still think you shold be looking at Axelas and Lancer EXs for sedans and for hatchbacks..something like a Swift

• Thanks 1