• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

when stopped, the fuel smells coming.

Waru

Question

While my car's fuel efficiency is down. 
Resonantly. And when stopped, the fuel smells coming.
I'll do the engine tune-up and do the followings can any one can suggest good place to check all theses issues (I'm @ negambo area) 
. Need to check (have any injector leak, and fuel pressure of the fuel pump )
my car model Mazda bj5p YOM 2003 .   

changed air filter .

changer oil and filter and oill.

changed spark plugs. 

Edited by Waru

6 answers to this question

Not really and answer but a followup type question to solve a similar problem,

The fuel consumption in my Civic ES8 has gone to hell as of late and exhaust smells like unburnt petrol

consumption as follows (around 5-7kmpl max in city and around 12kmpl long distance. it used to do upto around 9-10 in city and around 14-17 outstation) Even with fuel being pumped from reputed and newer sheds it seems the injectors are damaged and need replacing. This is a 2003 brand new bought car and therefore does not have a catalytic converter or O2 sensors.

I Got it checked at Agents and was told the injector filters were blocked and during cleanup they have not been able to save them due to damages from crud from the fuel line. They have done a spray test and recommended to replace all 4 since the solenoids are worn out it seems. Fortunately for me they were out of stock as each one is roughly around Rs22-24000. 

Does anyone know a place to find a set of used but good condition actually genuine Honda ES8 injectors for a reasonable price around Colombo?

ps:  I intend to replace the in tank fuel filter too which is available at some places.

5 hours ago, rukmaldk said:

Not really and answer but a followup type question to solve a similar problem,

The fuel consumption in my Civic ES8 has gone to hell as of late and exhaust smells like unburnt petrol

consumption as follows (around 5-7kmpl max in city and around 12kmpl long distance. it used to do upto around 9-10 in city and around 14-17 outstation) Even with fuel being pumped from reputed and newer sheds it seems the injectors are damaged and need replacing. This is a 2003 brand new bought car and therefore does not have a catalytic converter or O2 sensors.

I Got it checked at Agents and was told the injector filters were blocked and during cleanup they have not been able to save them due to damages from crud from the fuel line. They have done a spray test and recommended to replace all 4 since the solenoids are worn out it seems. Fortunately for me they were out of stock as each one is roughly around Rs22-24000. 

Does anyone know a place to find a set of used but good condition actually genuine Honda ES8 injectors for a reasonable price around Colombo?

ps:  I intend to replace the in tank fuel filter too which is available at some places.

Are you sure about the lack of an O2 sensor and CAT???

Doesn't sounds right for an EFI car or that vintage

Just input your chassis number in the the site below - should tell you 

https://partsouq.com/

You can also order the injectors (if that is actually what is wrong with it!) - be mindful of importing anything these days as clearing things might prove tricky due to the restrictions as well as bottlenecks at the ports

10 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

Are you sure about the lack of an O2 sensor and CAT???

Doesn't sounds right for an EFI car or that vintage

Just input your chassis number in the the site below - should tell you 

https://partsouq.com/

You can also order the injectors (if that is actually what is wrong with it!) - be mindful of importing anything these days as clearing things might prove tricky due to the restrictions as well as bottlenecks at the ports

Yes, unless the O2 sensor and CAT are invisible, I could not find one when following the exhaust pipe all the way to the end.  It appears due to laxed emissions controls in Lanka, these were not required on brand new models.

Local Emissions test passed with around 150-300 HC and 1.66-1.9 Co2,  Though this problem was identified with lambda values of less than 1 meaning a rich condition. It was diagnosed that the injectors are leaking unmonitored fuel into cylinders.

I am trying to find a complete fuel rail with injectors or fuel injectors by themselves in a better condition that these original ones. I saw a few rails on ###### for around 6-10k but not for this car.

3 minutes ago, rukmaldk said:

Yes, unless the O2 sensor and CAT are invisible, I could not find one when following the exhaust pipe all the way to the end.  It appears due to laxed emissions controls in Lanka, these were not required on brand new models.

Local Emissions test passed with around 150-300 HC and 1.66-1.9 Co2,  Though this problem was identified with lambda values of less than 1 meaning a rich condition. It was diagnosed that the injectors are leaking unmonitored fuel into cylinders.

I am trying to find a complete fuel rail with injectors or fuel injectors by themselves in a better condition that these original ones. I saw a few rails on ###### for around 6-10k but not for this car.

On a separate note, The brand of injectors used in Honda vehicles is Keihin (Honda is a shareholder of Keihin) They use plastic filters on their injectors which break over time and cause this problem. 

• Like 1

My Dear Friend,

I can say following components in your car which matters 80% of your problem. Hence please check them one by one and try to isolate where the problem is.

1) EGR valve. EGR valve provides external air supply to burn half burnt fuel. If your EGR valve is not working then your emission is not good. 

2) Injectors need to spray. If this spray function is not properly done then kind of observations can be seen. So better you check whether your injectors still give the required flow rate with proper spraying function. You will have to check your car manual specs for that or internet.

3) Also check whether your spark plugs are working properly. I saw a DIY in a very good website. You can do it by yourself but be careful when doing. check this link. 

http://www.garajeka.com/ස්පාර්ක්-ප්ලග්-වැඩද-බලමු/

4) There are some sensors which determines your Air Fuel supply. They are MAP sensor, MAF sensor, O2 sensor and Cat converter overheat sensor. If these are not functioning well, your air fuel ratio does not work properly and may result rich conditions. I request to check your O2 sensor first. Then MAP and MAF and last Cat converter overheat sensor. Based on vehicle type configuration of above sensors may slightly be different.

If you need more assistant please inbox.