• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Hatchback under 5 mil

WanderingSoul

Question

Hey guys,

I plan to buy my first car soon and I'm stuck figuring out which car to go for. I feel like my requirements are too strict.

What I'm looking for

• A hatchback or small car. I've driven a Nissan Dayz and an Axio Corolla Hybrid and I prefer the Nissan Dayz for it's small form factor
  • Automatic
  • Good resale value. This is such a significant investment that I can't afford to lose out too much on resale.
  • Low maintenance necessary. Would prefer a vehicle that can last me atleast 3-5 years with little maintenance. I'll be doing the service on time.
  • 1000 cc minimum. 660cc is good for the city but really takes the fun out of driving.
  • Good ground clearance. The bumps in the city is terrible.
  • 4 mil ideal but can go up a bit more

What I've looked at

• Vitz 2018/19 model. It ticks a lot of the boxes except
    • Really old engine... not really sure if it can go on with little maintenance.
    • Heard that the 2019 model had some issues (not confirmed)
    • Heard rumours that a lot of models that were submerged under water in the Japan floods are being brought down to SL (not confirmed)
  • Kia Picanto. Really like this model but
    • 2017 model only in Sri Lanka. There will be refresh in 2021.
    • No white model in sale or second hand ?
    • The showroom said they don't have plans to bring any more down as with the current tax structure importing will make the car's sale price go to 4 from 3.45.
    • Worried that cost of parts will go up even further
    • Not sure about long term maintenance of the car or resale value if Kia Sri Lanka is no longer going to be bringing down this model...
  • Suzuki Swift RS. A beautiful vehicle except
    • Really low ground clearence....120 mm really
    • Not sure how long a Turbo engine will last...

Open to other vehicle models. I'm just a newb at this so your advice is really appreciated.

Thanks guys!

25 answers to this question

Buy a Swift RS, this is coming from a 2018 Vitz owner.

I bought one last july and that was my 3rd vitz for that year. 

Buy the Swift.

The turbo will last a long time as long as you maintain it well.

The only thing that comes to mind is: After very heavy usage (lots of high revs & non-stop driving for hours), let the engine idle for at least 5 mins before shutting it off as this will allow the oil to cool down a bit, else it will fry the internals of the turbo and this will reduce the life of the turbo components in the long run. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not sure these econo car turbos require such precaution.

If waiting for the turbo to cool is hard, install a turbo timer, that way you can switch off & lock the car and mind your business while the timer will switch cut off the engine according to the preset time.

Maintain the engine properly & service on time, and it will be very reliable 

As for ground clearance, hope you live in a good place & after a while you will get used to it. Just be very careful during the initial stages of ownership.

@tiv how come? What problems did you have with the vitz that you needed to get a new one?

@□avante□ That's some really useful info. Thanks mate! I'll probably aim for a 2017 Swift RS to stay within budget. The ground clearence is the real blocker. I will mostly use it in the city but may go outstation occasionally. Plus even the city bumps are so big that it can scrape the front of the car ?

So far it looks like 2 for swift rs and 1 against vitz.

What about the Kia Picanto? Anyone have any recommendation for/against that one.

edit: How do I tag avante. If I paste that square it doesn't open the tag option... ?

Edited by WanderingSoul

Get a used Picanto for less than Rs. 3.0 Mn. highest grade with ABS you will get 3 around years of warranty left from 5 years. It will not loose much from Rs. 3.0 Mn.

Or get the Swift RS will be difficult to find one for less than Rs. 4.0 Mn. though

Buy the Vitz it will be the safer choice. Trouble free A-B appliance.

So guys. I've been keeping track of the second hand options and nothing has worked out so far for any of those models ?

@kush if I were to buy the picanto from Kia directly for 3.425 do you think it's a bad idea? I just worry that in 4 years if I sell the car, it would be 7 years from Yom (2017) and selling it for a good price (2.8 at the min) would be really really difficult. 

On 2/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, WanderingSoul said:

fun out of driving.

Well since it seems you have a decent idea about what's a fun car and what's not i'd say go for the swift - but it's really hard to find an unreg with all the bells and whistles. It's a nice car with lots of attitude. Don't overly worry about the ground clearance (unless a regular outstation traveler ) you'll get used to it though there are a few places like the car park near SLECC that will be nigh impossible. But most of the time you'll be ok. Vitz would be ok to go from A-B without hassle but fun it is not. If you're ok with Vitz consider the Passo too as it's more utilitarian than the vitz.  They both come with the aged 1L engine reliable and boring.  

On 2/2/2020 at 3:04 PM, WanderingSoul said:

@tiv how come? What problems did you have with the vitz that you needed to get a new one?

@□avante□ That's some really useful info. Thanks mate! I'll probably aim for a 2017 Swift RS to stay within budget. The ground clearence is the real blocker. I will mostly use it in the city but may go outstation occasionally. Plus even the city bumps are so big that it can scrape the front of the car ?

So far it looks like 2 for swift rs and 1 against vitz.

What about the Kia Picanto? Anyone have any recommendation for/against that one.

edit: How do I tag avante. If I paste that square it doesn't open the tag option... ?

Well my wife loves the look of the car hence

first car I bought, caught odo Tampering 80000km to 35000km, returned it

the next car I bought. A senior colleague whilst parking confused between drive and reverse and Drove into my car, taking out the full front end, which I fixed meticulously but my wife went all ocd on it, then went for an exchange with a dealer who got down a good car with all stuff verified, the facelift with some options, lost a heap of money on the ordeal. 

On 2/2/2020 at 4:38 PM, iRage said:

I would only vote for a Vitz if it is a 1300cc variant :) The 1000cc variant is a pure old dog of an engine and you don;t even get it in Japan that much except as fleet vehicles and newbie teenage drivers.

Tell me about it, I’ve barely scratched 3000km since I bought it, the thing sounds like it’s breaking apart, u d be amazed on the way the engine sways when u start it up, open the hood and take a look, 

It’s not maddeningly slow, it is comfortable, handles well, I guess it’s reliable 

but so unrefined, and ages behind the competition. I am trying to convince my wife to get rid of it, people are laughing at me as it’s so new. 

Edited by tiv

3 hours ago, tiv said:

but so unrefined, and ages behind the competition. I am trying to convince my wife to get rid of it, people are laughing at me as it’s so new. 

I would say wait....wait and see what the new Yaris would be price wise. True it will still be the old 1L, albeit with some serious fixing up; but at least the finish and look is 1000x better and the thing is supposed to be really good to drive.  

On 2/7/2020 at 6:46 PM, WanderingSoul said:

So guys. I've been keeping track of the second hand options and nothing has worked out so far for any of those models ?

@kush if I were to buy the picanto from Kia directly for 3.425 do you think it's a bad idea? I just worry that in 4 years if I sell the car, it would be 7 years from Yom (2017) and selling it for a good price (2.8 at the min) would be really really difficult. 

What you get in second hand will depend on the vehicle prices new/used at the time

I bought the Picanto for Rs. 3.45 and sold for Rs. 2.95 after two years and 35K km

On 2/7/2020 at 7:10 PM, matroska said:

Well since it seems you have a decent idea about what's a fun car and what's not i'd say go for the swift - but it's really hard to find an unreg with all the bells and whistles. It's a nice car with lots of attitude. Don't overly worry about the ground clearance (unless a regular outstation traveler ) you'll get used to it though there are a few places like the car park near SLECC that will be nigh impossible. But most of the time you'll be ok. Vitz would be ok to go from A-B without hassle but fun it is not. If you're ok with Vitz consider the Passo too as it's more utilitarian than the vitz.  They both come with the aged 1L engine reliable and boring.  

What are the features and specifications variance in vitz and passo? 

First of all....congrats @AVANTE for becoming taggable.

The Passo is a Daihatsu badged as a Toyota. It was designed and built by Daihatsu. Interestingly Toyota claims that the Passo is NOT an OEM model but that they outsourced the development of the Passo to Daihatsu and that the OEM car is actually the Boon (i.e. Daihatsu designed and built the car for Toyota and then bought it from Toyota to be badged as their own car...huh ??). Whoever builds it..the car is pretty decent for what it is. What it is is an entry level hatch. It is positioned a level below Vitz. Thus, somethings do seem a little..uhh...cheaper and basic compared to the Vitz.

On 2/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, iRage said:

First of all....congrats @AVANTE for becoming taggable.

The Passo is a Daihatsu badged as a Toyota. It was designed and built by Daihatsu. Interestingly Toyota claims that the Passo is NOT an OEM model but that they outsourced the development of the Passo to Daihatsu and that the OEM car is actually the Boon (i.e. Daihatsu designed and built the car for Toyota and then bought it from Toyota to be badged as their own car...huh ??). Whoever builds it..the car is pretty decent for what it is. What it is is an entry level hatch. It is positioned a level below Vitz. Thus, somethings do seem a little..uhh...cheaper and basic compared to the Vitz.

The Audi Q2 would be so disappointed @AVANTE #untaggable

• Haha 1