• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rover Car

Quiet

It's a Rover 75 right? There's a forum https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/ and maybe if you spend some time and read about the vehicle and inquire you may be able to find out if spares are available in the UK - if you have friends who are automotive enthusiasts in the UK that might be helpful . It'd be a nice project to actually restore it to factory spec. Worst...absolute worst case would be to do an engine swap but then you still have to source body parts. If you're willing to invest considerably more time than you would for a normal restoration then it'll be a cool project. Maybe @The Don  might be able to give you some information on how the model is currently faring in the UK. 

[EDIT]  as per this website https://rimmerbros.com/SubCategory--Rover-75--m-1616 these folk seem to have parts but the site hasn't been updated apparently for a few years. 

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Quiet said:

Spotted this in a Vehicle Yard. Do you think it is possible to find parts to restore.

PHOTO-2020-01-27-09-40-08.jpg

PHOTO-2020-01-27-09-40-09.jpg

PHOTO-2020-01-27-09-40-10.jpg

If I am correct,  remember watching a Topgear episode where Jezza, May and Richard all 3 agreed this is the most unreliable car ever or something like that. 

So eventhough you build it, there might be issues following.

There must be a reason for it to be dirt cheap.I would stay away from it.

2 minutes ago, GK_007 said:

If I am correct,  remember watching a Topgear episode where Jezza, May and Richard all 3 agreed this is the most unreliable car ever or something like that. 

So eventhough you build it, there might be issues following.

There must be a reason for it to be dirt cheap.I would stay away from it.

British unreliability + euro car + no 2nd market + lack of spares + uncommom brand name + big car + condition + engine greater than 1500cc = cheap bargain :)

• Like 1

Buy it for super cheap. And then make it a slow side project. As a weekender.

I remember there was another Gold color car in Pettah. One dark blue car (300/301 dash no) in welisara back in 2011, in a garage specializing in mainly in Land Rovers. I took my previous Audi to them. The car was stuck there for soo many months with no parts. It was in very good condition. They tried selling the car at a motor show in BMICH as "only one in SL" and quoted 50 lacks. I dont think anybody bought it. This might be the same car. Though it was in very good nick back in the day.

So yeah. Proceed with caution and if you really love it. Not a project for a quick flip.

• Like 1

Hope you have deep pockets. You may be able to do the cosmetics. Mechanics and electronics will be a nightmare. This is the one which put the last nail in the coffin of BL/Rover or what ever it was called at the time.

2 hours ago, kush said:

This is the one which put the last nail in the coffin of BL/Rover or what ever it was called at the time.

Slightly off topic, but everyone knows that the Mini was manufactured by several brands (Morris, Austin, Leyland & Rover). Have you guys noticed that everytime one of those british brands stop the production of the mini, the brand dies after a few years. Hope BMW doesn't let go lol.

Edited by □AVANTE□

20 hours ago, Quiet said:

Spotted this in a Vehicle Yard. Do you think it is possible to find parts to restore.

PHOTO-2020-01-27-09-40-10.jpg

This photo reminds  me of a PS2 game named "The Getaway" which i played back in the day.  This car was prominently featured in it.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trinity said:

This photo reminds  me of a PS2 game named "The Getaway" which i played back in the day.  This car was prominently featured in it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Those graphics! Reminds me when I used to play "the Italian job" on PS1 and would always end up driving the mini into a canal for lols.

It would be interesting to use an unreliable british car in a real life getaway though.

Edited by □AVANTE□

50 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Those graphics! Reminds me when I used to play "the Italian job" on PS1 and would always end up driving the mini into a canal for lols.

It would be interesting to use an unreliable british car in a real life getaway though.

This one was sort of a mid range car in the game, given default at the time of starting the chase. However you can hijack most vehicles on the road, even cop cars. The best cars that could get was the Lexus Altezza and the Cop Cars. The game was set up in London. 

6 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Slightly off topic, but everyone knows that the Mini was manufactured by several brands (Morris, Austin, Leyland & Rover). Have you guys noticed that everytime one of those british brands stop the production of the mini, the brand dies after a few years. Hope BMW doesn't let go lol.

Yes..true....but that is also because every one of those brands who took over had troubles (or atleast heading towards them) before they took over the mini and the mini was kind of like their saving grace. For the seller the cash influx from the hand over of the mini was to help them get the rest of their portfolio built up...and then the buyer was to use the success of the mini to help itself get some sales.

• 4 weeks later...

This was probably the best Rover in many years but sadly could not save it from going down. This was designed under BMW stewardship though the engine I believe isn't BMW. Find out which engine it has before buying (it might be a Rover K series). I am sure you can find all the parts you need from a UK yard for cheap and the car seems to be in decent condition. Probably only engine and electrical work needed.

Second when the Mini was made Morrin, Austin, Leyland and Rover were all just brands of the nationalised British Leyland motor company. So they were always made by the same company before BMW siphoned it off.