• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alloy Wheel Repair

Klord

My father scratched the driver side tire to the toll gate pavement when exiting the southern expressway ?. Its a small cosmetic damage, but still annoying to a person with mild OCD.

There are no deep cuts, but the paint and surface parts of the wheel is chipped in few places. I saw a post from @Davy explaining alloy wheel repair as a DIY project, but since this is a smaller issue, I believe it will be cheaper & easier to get this fixed from a professional.  Can someone suggest a good place to get this fixed? And an approximate cost it will take. Thank you very much. ?

193774135_WhatsAppImage2020-01-27at09_10_30.thumb.jpeg.cab9616d1e56ae2f4abf1ff05462dfbd.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-27 at 09.10.30.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Klord said:

My father scratched the driver side tire to the toll gate pavement when exiting the southern expressway ?. Its a small cosmetic damage, but still annoying to a person with mild OCD.

There are no deep cuts, but the paint and surface parts of the wheel is chipped in few places. I saw a post from @Davy explaining alloy wheel repair as a DIY project, but since this is a smaller issue, I believe it will be cheaper & easier to get this fixed from a professional.  Can someone suggest a good place to get this fixed? And an approximate cost it will take. Thank you very much. ?

193774135_WhatsAppImage2020-01-27at09_10_30.thumb.jpeg.cab9616d1e56ae2f4abf1ff05462dfbd.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-27 at 09.10.30.jpeg

I understand your pain bro, this is a diamond cut wheel, thereby there is no option of filling and paint. Your best option would be to get the area buffed and levelled 

• Sad 1

You won't be able to follow steps in my DIY post because your alloys are diamond cut. 

The easiest fix would be to polish out the damage using a series of grinding bits and sandpaper (starting with coarse ones and moving on to smoother grit). Then use metal polish to get the shine back. 

From the photos, it looks like the diamond cut areas are clear coated as well. So you'll have to clear coat the area (or the whole wheel). 

Finally get the wheel balanced again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CNX said:

AlloyGators are not recommended for machine polished or diamond cut alloy wheels.

I saw a merchant selling alloygators 4000s bucks a wheel, 16000 the lot, if they aren't good with diamond cut or then pretty much waste of money as a 2x wheel refurbishment and painting would be equal to a single set of them

To be honest, this is the first time I heard about diamond cut wheels. :rolleyes:

And yes, I read in the web that alloygators are not recommended to diamond cut wheels. So its a no go. Either way I have to fix this issue. 

I called the workshop @Prangi mentioned, and inquired about the issue telling I need a fix for diamond cut wheels, not traditional alloy wheels. They didnt know about diamond cut wheels, so a bit reluctant whether they can fix it. 

6 hours ago, Davy said:

You won't be able to follow steps in my DIY post because your alloys are diamond cut. 

The easiest fix would be to polish out the damage using a series of grinding bits and sandpaper (starting with coarse ones and moving on to smoother grit). Then use metal polish to get the shine back. 

From the photos, it looks like the diamond cut areas are clear coated as well. So you'll have to clear coat the area (or the whole wheel). 

Can you please suggest a place I can get this done? 

Yes I know its not recommended because it can trap moisture underneath the gators. But I did a bit of research and found quite a few stories of owners who used them for machine polished wheels with no adverse effects-so long as the wheel was new and didnt have any defects. So decided to go ahead.

It's been 18 months of use with them and not had any issues. I have also brushed a curb with them and gators took the impact. Removed the damaged one and did an inspection. Didn't notice any abnormalities. Will be sticking with them for the time being. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Klord said:

Can you please suggest a place I can get this done? 

I'm afraid someone else would have to recommend a place. Not familiar with many places in Sri Lanka anymore. A consequence of living abroad. 

I remember @trinitygot one of his OZ wheels refurbished from a place in Slave Island if I'm not mistaken.

JJ Lanka in Mount Lavinia also undertook alloy wheel repairs back in the day. 

But in all honesty, I think DIY is the best. If you have a drill, it'll make the job easier. You can use a grinding bit and take out the burs, smoothen the surface, and then use 400 through 1200 grit sandpaper to polish it (400, 800, 1200). Then use Brasso or another metal polish to finish it off. If the rim has clear coat, you will have to apply it off a rattle can or a touch up kit. Then wet sand and polish that also. A bit of elbow grease and a lot of patience needed. ?

2 minutes ago, Davy said:

I'm afraid someone else would have to recommend a place. Not familiar with many places in Sri Lanka anymore. A consequence of living abroad. 

I remember @trinitygot one of his OZ wheels refurbished from a place in Slave Island if I'm not mistaken.

But in all honesty, I think DIY is the best. If you have a drill, it'll make the job easier. You can use a grinding bit and take out the burs, smoothen the surface, and then use 400 through 1200 grit sandpaper to polish it (400, 800, 1200). Then use Brasso or another metal polish to finish it off. If the rim has clear coat, you will have to apply it off a rattle can or a touch up kit. Then wet sand and polish that also. A bit of elbow grease and a lot of patience needed. ?

Patience is the least available resource I have. :sad-smiley-067:

But I can give it a try, a man has to learn these stuff sooner or later. Ready to make a mess.... Correct me if Im wrong. 

1. Drilling the excess parts.
    • But I dont have a drill, so I guess I will have to remove them using low grade sand papers. 

2. Further smoothen the surface from sandpapers. (No issue there)

3. Apply brasso and polish the damaged areas.
    • Will this damage unscratched surface?

4. Reapply the clear coat.
    • What do you mean by clear coat? Is this simple paint or something special for alloy wheels like this ?

5. Wet sand and polishing. (Had to google this, but looks fine) ?

13 minutes ago, Davy said:

Yeh got it done through U&H at Union Place. They are not doing the repair but they outsource it to someone else. My repair was a bent wheel. He did a pretty darn job correcting the wheel.