• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

First Service (CRV) - Mineral or Synthetic Oil

monty

On 1/23/2020 at 10:21 PM, del1972 said:

hi guys

Used 0w20 mobil one for the first service.  I then felt the viscosity is to low for Sri Lanka's climate. So I moved to 0w30 mobil one  from my second service. I follow the service schedule on the computer. Now after four oil changes 19000 km on the clock there is no issues so far. By the way I buy the oil from independent  seller and  the filter from Stafford and get it changed at my local service centre while im watching. I dont believe paying a premium at the agent also not knowing what they have done and not done. Cal me paranoid , but this way I exactly know what's in the engine. 

Could be true. I did my service today from agent for the 2nd time after purchasing the car and the filter price has almost doubled on my FIT. However, still using 0w-20 on the car as it still doesn't burn oil and same oil has been used since day one.

• 1 month later...

Members,

I read many comments about engine heat.

I like to write of the 1950/1960 era motor vehicle engines , which is not a comparison to efficiency of present day engines.

During those days mountain climbing younger members may have read about at Kadugnava climb road side had many people to help motorists to cool the engines ready with water. At present there are only few chaps on that stretch.

Cooling system of engines did not have pressurized system. Almost all engines had Copper large radiators, only few had other materials used. Later came with Aluminum radiators with heat resistant Plastic tanks.

I do not know the younger generation of motorists have read that there was a person by the name "Fan Bass" existed at that time. He did a modification to the cooling fan, and overcame the boiling problem.

If I remember his name was  Mr. M.S.Perera in Colombo 02.

Adding two more blades, later he went on to six blades on the fan in all total.

There were few problems like Engine power was loss and the drivers had to come down to next lover gear to do a smooth climbing.

Six Cylinder engines did not have any problems also Four cylinder 1600 CC and above was also worked well.

One other person had his UK made car lager Radiator and two more tanks with water extra fixed to his radiator, on to the engine bay. that was also very effective with no engine power loss. The cost was more than fixing additional blades to radiator fan and power loss for small engines.

I like to have comments of my post.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.