• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vitz 2009 Gear Box repair

Isuma

Question

I am very new to cars. I have a vitz 2009 model and its mileage 80000 Km now. When I drive I can feel the gear changing automatically, so I think its time to a gear box repair. So I need to know whether 80K is the normal gear box repair interval or else. If I change gear box oil and wait until 100K? And how much cost to have a gear box repair?

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

Better get a trusted friend with some experience in vehicles, preferably a vitz with a similar gearbox (I assume CVT) to drive it and see whether it really has a problem. If the car has been properly maintained with timely CVT oil changes, it is unlikely to cause problems at 80k km assuming the milage is genuine. The other option is to take the car to the agents to have a look. Your local 'makabass' may take you for a ride if he gets to know you have no clue so better avoid them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Isuma said:

I am very new to cars. I have a vitz 2009 model and its mileage 80000 Km now. When I drive I can feel the gear changing automatically, so I think its time to a gear box repair. So I need to know whether 80K is the normal gear box repair interval or else. If I change gear box oil and wait until 100K? And how much cost to have a gear box repair?

Has the gearbox oil ever been changed??

If people bother to change fluids on time and carry out periodic preventive maintenance then there should be no need to contend with a large repair at such a low mileage

Just because the shifting is a little pronounced jumping to a conclusion that the gearbox needs to be repaired is premature and excessive I feel. As @CNX said, have a sound qualified professional at recognized outfit (the agents even) have a look at it.

Don't give them ideas saying the gearbox is broken because people will happily try to sell you a reconditioned box with no mileage provenance if they know you're trigger happy and uninitiated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Isuma said:

YOM 2009 means 10+ years. 80,000 km is highly unlikely otherwise it used as a second car or just used in weekends.

Just for your info that, one of my friend sold this 2007 vitz at 145,000 km having no issues in GB. I sold my vitz 2007 at 110,000 km in end 2014 without any issue in GB.  

Anyway,

When did you buy it? How many km's used by you?

Do you know about the history of the car? 

Last CVT oil replacement interval? (age is matter than millage if millage is genuine) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gayanath said:

YOM 2009 means 10+ years. 80,000 km is highly unlikely otherwise it used as a second car or just used in weekends.

Just for your info that, one of my friend sold this 2007 vitz at 145,000 km having no issues in GB. I sold my vitz 2007 at 110,000 km in end 2014 without any issue in GB.  

Anyway,

When did you buy it? How many km's used by you?

Do you know about the history of the car? 

Last CVT oil replacement interval? (age is matter than millage if millage is genuine) 

I bought it n 2015 and I used about 30k . I think now it is due time to oil replacement. Oil replacement should be done by 40k right?

Edited by Isuma

1 hour ago, Isuma said:

I bought it n 2015 and I used about 30k . I think now it is due time to oil replacement. Oil replacement should be done by 40k right?

If you used this 30k, then you are very familiar with CVT and you should know how CVT behaves. (Actually why I asked this question is CVT behavior is bit different than conventional auto)

Regarding oil replacement, honestly, it's lifetime in normal conditions and 90,000 km or 6 years (whichever comes first) for severe conditions (according to the manufacture). Therefore, no harm changing it at any point less than 90,000 km or 6 years (theoretically) under which ever the conditions but our people replacing more sooner as a practice. 

If you feel some difference, you could replace oil and observe as the first step since it is the easiest and low cost method with minimum effect to the car. The level adjustment is the only tricky point so go to a reputed place. 

Have you done any recent Gear Box Oil change??? Usually it is recommended to change in between 20k-25k (depending on the usage)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

12 hours ago, thilinamc said:

Have you done any recent Gear Box Oil change??? Usually it is recommended to change in between 20k-25k (depending on the usage)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Dude...... Vitz made in Japan with Japanese quality standards. Not in India or China.... ??? ?

On 4/23/2023 at 5:52 PM, rasika pradeep said:

Do you repair vitz u grade gearbox ? And how much?

I have been observed uncomfortable function in gear box and did not change gear smoothly then I had removed sump of gear box so I had observed metal particles in magnets and filter so i had cleaned and I did re install but I have observed improvement but Iam not satisfy then what I do? 

13 hours ago, rasika pradeep said:

I have been observed uncomfortable function in gear box and did not change gear smoothly then I had removed sump of gear box so I had observed metal particles in magnets and filter so i had cleaned and I did re install but I have observed improvement but Iam not satisfy then what I do? 

13 hours ago, rasika pradeep said:

What do you mean by metal particles ? As your gearbox gets used, it is natural for the gearbox oil to get some metal in it because the "gears"/"components" inside of it rub against each other as it works. 

Whether this is good or bad depends on the type of metal shavings you talk about. If there are big clunks of metal then there is a serious problem. But if it is just powdery metal shavings then it could be just the normal wear and tear. If there is a lot of it, it could be because the fluid hadn't been changed in a long time (e.g. not having changed it for 4 or 5 years with about 40,000km of running) or it hasn't been changed as often as you should have (e.g., one might do 20,000km in just under one year in which case they will need to change fluid on a yearly basis).

So...the change in fluid and cleaning/changing the filter improved the car ? Why are you not satisfied with it ? It just could be that you are experiencing the true nature of a CVT "gearbox" or now that the gearbox is working properly you are starting to realize other things that are making your car not perform well (e.g. because of the sticky gearbox, one might not realize that the engine itself is being sluggish). You could give your car a good overall service (change all fluids, change everything from fuel to air filters, clean injectors, etc...). 

If the above is not the case and cannot be done, then that just leaves only one other possibility. Your transmission is broken and you will need to get a new one.