• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle help ?

Ferdinando1992

Question

18 answers to this question

Do you prefer these cars due to their modification potential? For a first car & daily driveability, I'd suggest something a bit less older.

These cars are more than 20 years old now so you have to do a thorough inspection on them before purchasing as this is going to be a daily driver. 

Majority of the civics were abused by boy racers (especially the ones with the D15B-VTEC engine, so finding one in good condition is rather difficult)

You can get non-vtec ones for your budget and in better condition but they have slightly lower efficiency, lower power & lower re-sale compared to the VTECs. (Doesn't matter if you are keeping it for a long time). If you really love to have a civic, try to go for an EK3 as much as possible as the EG8 needs lots of maintenance due to slightly older age, also I could never find an EG without mods the last time I searched for them. 

As for the CK lancers, the CK1 is the most economical model due to the 1300cc engine, but don't expect fast & furious vibes when driving. They are fun-handling & simple cars to own & are freely available in stock, unabused condition. CK2s are slightly more powerful and parts are easily available, but let's wait for our lancer experts to comment on it. Didn't you try searching the forum?

Whichever car you want to buy, take a mechanic with you if possible as this is your first car and you're spending hard-earned money on it, ask for service records and do a test drive, don't trust your money on the seller's words.

Edited by □AVANTE□
  • Thanks 1

Just a suggestion, why not a P11 Primera perhaps? If you can find a 2000cc SR20DE it'll be far sprightlier than a EG or EK

Feels more plush as well

There were A*W imported brand new ones as well as reconditioned imports - look for a Camino if you're after something which can be construed as something somewhat more "sporty"

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2020 at 7:34 AM, Ferdinando1992 said:

Hi guys, 

I'm planning to buy a car as my first one. So far I have ck2or ck1 , Eg8 and Ek 3. My budget it somewhere between 14 to 17 lks. What is your recommendations. And I'm planning to use it as a daily driver. 

This is a very nice potential budget where you're looking at a multitude of 90's cars. 

Let's talk about your choices -  very hard to find EG8s in good condition now cos they've changed hands between wannabe racers and now completely ruined same applies for the Lancers and the EK3's to a lesser extent so you still can find a rare unit in decent condition. If the modding potential is not a big condition you can also consider slightly more 'boring' variants like Mazda 323/Familia - you can get a good specimen for the price range. 

If hatches are your thing you can consider a Starlet - which I admit is overpriced due to the whole Sri Lankan Toyota Loyalism  but a good EP82 is well within budget there's a massive community in SL and parts are aplenty so maintaining one will be a breeze. Corolla2's (windy) Ceres etc all come into the equation. 

27 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

Just a suggestion, why not a P11 Primera perhaps?

This is something i wanted to suggest as well - The P11 is a true 90's car with the good old Nissan genes and they're not on the boy-racer radar so you can find a really good car... Sticking with Nissans  there are Pulsars, Preseas and (lucino - maybe not) 

If i was on the market for a car at this budget I'd probably go for a Primera honestly. 

frankly there are too many choices here - so try to go for what you really like (EK3/Lancer CK) keep the Primera's etc as backup options don't stick to one car go and see a few test drive etc...I'd skip the EG8 tho 

personally 90's cars make my mouth water so I'm looking forward to seeing a thread on what you brought. Good Luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, matroska said:

If hatches are your thing you can consider a Starlet - which I admit is overpriced due to the whole Sri Lankan Toyota Loyalism  but a good EP82 is well within budget there's a massive community in SL and parts are aplenty so maintaining one will be a breeze. Corolla2's (windy) Ceres etc all come into the equation. 

You didn't mention the Carina GTs. Most of them are now going for a low price, and although they're owned by mostly mature enthusiasts, it's not to say it hasn't been used 'enthusiatically' but that's the whole point right?

There's an AT210 (5-speed) for sale with a newly rebuilt 4A-GE blacktop & a handful of mechanical & electronical parts fixed/replaced according to the owner and has an asking price of 1.85 mil. Compared to the Carina GT, the P11 Caminos are kind of rare & thirstier don't you think?

The pre-facelift Windy is a design I really love. It's just a starlet underneath that went under the loyalism radar and is truly worth what it is. A ducktail spoiler & some sweet bronze 6-spokes (TE37 replica) rims on it and you got your self a beautiful little fastback-like-hatchback.?

Edited by □AVANTE□
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, matroska said:

About the Ceres and the Marino...if you want some spirited driving then I would go for a unit with the 4A-FE (i.e. 1600cc standard engine). If I want more spirited driving then I would go for a 4A-GE variant. There are quite a few 4A-FE variants around and interestingly they are advertised as 1500cc cars quite often (Sri Lankan mentality of anything above 1500cc drinking fuel). The 4A-GE variants are a bit harder to find. The 1500cc variant just feels like any other Corolla/Sprinter of the era in a sporty body. The problem with the Ceres/Marino is that most of them (irrespective of the variant) have been modded up by boy ricers. Unfortunately most of these boy ricers got them for the Corolla cheapness of running it and then doing really unsightly cheap mods....so....you are going to be stuck with the Civic issue. 

2 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

You didn't mention the Carina GTs. Most of them are now going for a low price, and although they're owned by mostly mature enthusiasts, it's not to say it hasn't been used 'enthusiatically' but that's the whole point right?

There's an AT210 (5-speed) for sale with a newly rebuilt 4A-GE blacktop & a handful of mechanical & electronical parts fixed/replaced according to the owner and has an asking price of 1.85 mil. Compared to the Carina GT, the P11 Caminos are kind of rare & thirstier don't you think?

If you are referring ot the one I think you are (the dark grey one)...then the mods and fix-up was done by the previous owner. I had to go through 100s of Toyota catalogs of the period with the guy to pick the color code :) When the previous guy got the Carina GT it had a worn out 4A-GE engine..corrosion...etc....so he did a complete engine rebuild and a full resto job on the body. Then life took over for a while and he had to part ways with it and later stumbled on to an Altezza...a Trueno..and a WRX :D

Tobe honest though..I have not seen any decent speciments of the above cars within 14 to 17 lks though :(

I don't know what kind of a guy you are...but how do you feel about something like a Mark II/Cresta/Chaser ? A stock avante/grande can be found for your budget (again..average condition). The 2000cc engine is actualy pretty decent...only thing is the ride is a bit soft and boat like but that gets sorted out with a simple suspension upgrade (whcih most in SL have done)

Apart from that..there was a Vitz RS advertised a few weeks ago...so thta is an option...you could also look in to a stock Imprezza (non converted one).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iRage said:

If you are referring ot the one I think you are (the dark grey one)...then the mods and fix-up was done by the previous owner. I had to go through 100s of Toyota catalogs of the period with the guy to pick the color code :) When the previous guy got the Carina GT it had a worn out 4A-GE engine..corrosion...etc....so he did a complete engine rebuild and a full resto job on the body. Then life took over for a while and he had to part ways with it and later stumbled on to an Altezza...a Trueno..and a WRX :D

Tobe honest though..I have not seen any decent speciments of the above cars within 14 to 17 lks though :(

I don't know what kind of a guy you are...but how do you feel about something like a Mark II/Cresta/Chaser ? A stock avante/grande can be found for your budget (again..average condition). 

The one with the small ugly black alloys & the front shell says 'carina' instead of 'GT'. Yup, its some kind of grey, I thought it's silver. Weird color. I guess you are right, hard to find a good specimen for that budget ?

Are you referring to the slightly boxy looking JZX90 chasers? Tbh I have never seen a proper chaser in the classifieds, only diesels show up.

Also Irage, whatever happened to that red AE86 (AE85? I dont remember) for sale a few months back for a million? Also, how are things with your car now?

Also, like the tourer V, are turbocharged EL41s a thing?

Sorry for lots of questions lol

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

The one with the small ugly black alloys & the front shell says 'carina' instead of 'GT'. Yup, its some kind of grey, I thought it's silver. Weird color. I guess you are right, hard to find a good specimen for that budget ?

Are you referring to the slightly boxy looking JZX90 chasers? Tbh I have never seen a proper chaser in the classifieds, only diesels show up.

Also Irage, whatever happened to that red AE86 (AE85? I dont remember) for sale a few months back for a million? Also, how are things with your car now?

Also, like the tourer V, are turbocharged EL41s a thing?

Sorry for lots of questions lol

Yes..that is the one...actually it is a silver...just that most people think it is a grey. It is a Supra color 1B9 silver graphite flake or something. The pre-facelift Carina GT says CARINA on the grill. They put the GT badge on the grill only in the facelift

Yes...the 90 series and sometimes the 100 series go for those prices.

No idea what happened to it. Probably did get bought up by someone...My Trueno is doing well...it actually runs without any issues so that is a good thing I suppose...

There are several original P40 series GTs in SL...and one or two conversions. Unfortunately the conversion is not that popular because finding donor cars are not easy...especially at a reasonable price. The ones that can be used as a donor are too expensive and the ones that are cheap are just not worth the trouble.

Edited by iRage
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

I think he'd be stretching his budget for a Carina wouldn't he?

19 hours ago, iRage said:

The problem with the Ceres/Marino is that most of them (irrespective of the variant) have been modded up by boy ricers.

I've seen quite a few horribly riced ones and a few decent ones but as you said it's back to the EG8 problem. 

OP, are you following any of the local classic/old car groups there are some good specimens going up for sale time to time.

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 9:47 AM, Devinda_Z said:

Just a suggestion, why not a P11 Primera perhaps? If you can find a 2000cc SR20DE it'll be far sprightlier than a EG or EK

Feels more plush as well

There were A*W imported brand new ones as well as reconditioned imports - look for a Camino if you're after something which can be construed as something somewhat more "sporty"

Camino? P11 looks beautiful as well ? I'll search bit more. Thanks mate ?

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 10:24 AM, matroska said:

This is a very nice potential budget where you're looking at a multitude of 90's cars. 

Let's talk about your choices -  very hard to find EG8s in good condition now cos they've changed hands between wannabe racers and now completely ruined same applies for the Lancers and the EK3's to a lesser extent so you still can find a rare unit in decent condition. If the modding potential is not a big condition you can also consider slightly more 'boring' variants like Mazda 323/Familia - you can get a good specimen for the price range. 

This is something i wanted to suggest as well - The P11 is a true 90's car with the good old Nissan genes and they're not on the boy-racer radar so you can find a really good car... Sticking with Nissans  there are Pulsars, Preseas and (lucino - maybe not) 

If i was on the market for a car at this budget I'd probably go for a Primera honestly. 

frankly there are too many choices here - so try to go for what you really like (EK3/Lancer CK) keep the Primera's etc as backup options don't stick to one car go and see a few test drive etc...I'd skip the EG8 tho 

personally 90's cars make my mouth water so I'm looking forward to seeing a thread on what you brought. Good Luck. 

Thank you brother, I didn't had about the idea of primera ? familia i like. But I'm looking for something little bit sporty. But I couldn't find a decent ek 3or a ck yet. 

1 minute ago, Ferdinando1992 said:

Thank you brother, I didn't had about the idea of primera ? familia i like. But I'm looking for something little bit sporty. But I couldn't find a decent ek 3or a ck yet. 

CAMINO is a JDM variant/badge of the Primera...

What is your definition of sporty ?

By the cars you ahve been looky at what you are pretty much suggesting is a car that actually handles well and has good feed back and gets the driver a bit involved; not something that has tons of power.

The Primera is a lot more sporty in that regards than the Civics you are looking at (not to mention has more power). Secondly, the Familia is actually a pretty nifty and fun car to drive....it actually does have the zoom zoom feeling.

As for the Starlet..that too is sporty if you find yourself a Glanza or GT...in fact it will be a lot more sporty than a stock Civic.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, iRage said:

CAMINO is a As for the Starlet..that too is sporty if you find yourself a Glanza or GT...in fact it will be a lot more sporty than a stock Civic.

GT/Glanza V is way above budget obviously but a starlet is fun to drive, no denying that as per my own experience. Better than a March I'd say. EP71 Starlet turbos are way under budget provided OP can find one..and that too, in good nick.

OP, how's progress so far? Found a car you like?

Edited by □AVANTE□
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 9:51 AM, matroska said:

I think he'd be stretching his budget for a Carina wouldn't he?

I've seen quite a few horribly riced ones and a few decent ones but as you said it's back to the EG8 problem. 

OP, are you following any of the local classic/old car groups there are some good specimens going up for sale time to time.

Well , now I'm stuck with p11and carina. Both in same price range. Since I couldn't find a decent ck or ek I'm trying to go for a different choice. 

On 1/25/2020 at 1:22 PM, □AVANTE□ said:

GT/Glanza V is way above budget obviously but a starlet is fun to drive, no denying that as per my own experience. Better than a March I'd say. EP71 Starlet turbos are way under budget provided OP can find one..and that too, in good nick.

OP, how's progress so far? Found a car you like?

Ummm so.. so.. ?

55 minutes ago, Ferdinando1992 said:

Ummm so.. so.. ?

Buy something you like for now. Don't overthink/stress it. The cars mentioned above by other members are sellable and hold their value decently. So you can sell and move to something more sophisticated when you are ready. Just don't fall into a trap & end up with a shoebox.

12 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Buy something you like for now. Don't overthink/stress it. The cars mentioned above by other members are sellable and hold their value decently. So you can sell and move to something more sophisticated when you are ready. Just don't fall into a trap & end up with a shoebox.

Yeah mate. Your right. But the thing is all the above mentioned cars are so sick ?. Will see. I'll leave a update once I found a good piece.