• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Raize

Pasan S

Question

19 answers to this question

To OP

The fuel figure timeline

car sellers, 

if you drive it right it does like 30kmpl or even more, blah blah

first fellows who buy it like

”machan it does 40kmpl believe me”

I went from Galle to puttlam to anuradhapura to airport with my dogs in 1 tank

the second lot mid year, who sold their vitzs due to peer pressure 

it does 30kmpl, just like my Vitz but it’s so better, I put 95 now, pickup is so good it’s soo smooth  ( they lied about the vitz fuel figure as well) 

the last lot by the end of the year, who buy it for a price hike, (current price + hike)= pora buyer

it does 4kmpl, 
(Deep within, I put a loan and a lease to buy it because my co worker and Neighbour and brothers wife’s sisters uncles second wife got one, I don’t have money for petrol so I just take it for a 10km stroll on Sunday in the traffic) 

and he spent this months salary on the chrome, carpets and 3m tint and 10inch Chinese player. 

jokes aside mate to get an accurate value for this you ll have to wait for at least 1 year.

Given the engine and the turbo expect 13kmpl or less on long distances but Just a guess. 
Do not get so worked up on the fuel figures bro, these are budget suvs, some chum on a bike gets intimate with the tailgate or the lights or a mirror, you ll be looking at 1 years fuel costs, if you aren’t prepared for that expense buy something else.

car salesmen, personal importers, fb forums they push you and bluff so beware. 

Edited by tiv
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, tiv said:

To OP

The fuel figure timeline

car sellers, 

if you drive it right it does like 30kmpl or even more, blah blah

first fellows who buy it like

”machan it does 40kmpl believe me”

I went from Galle to puttlam to anuradhapura to airport with my dogs in 1 tank

the second lot mid year, who sold their vitzs due to peer pressure 

it does 30kmpl, just like my Vitz but it’s so better, I put 95 now, pickup is so good it’s soo smooth  ( they lied about the vitz fuel figure as well) 

the last lot by the end of the year, who buy it for a price hike, (current price + hike)= pora buyer

it does 4kmpl, 
(Deep within, I put a loan and a lease to buy it because my co worker and Neighbour and brothers wife’s sisters uncles second wife got one, I don’t have money for petrol so I just take it for a 10km stroll on Sunday in the traffic) 

and he spent this months salary on the chrome, carpets and 3m tint and 10inch Chinese player. 

jokes aside mate to get an accurate value for this you ll have to wait for at least 1 year.

Given the engine and the turbo expect 13kmpl or less on long distances but Just a guess. 
Do not get so worked up on the fuel figures bro, these are budget suvs, some chum on a bike gets intimate with the tailgate or the lights you ll be looking at 1 years fuel costs, if you aren’t prepared for that expense buy something else.

Thank you bro

Like tiv mentioned...you are not going to get an accurate fuel figure until someone uses a car for a long period of time.  For example, the fuel figures during the break-in period and after the break-in period itself can differ. Since the Raizes have just started coming in to SL no one in the island can tell you what actual real-life figures are. However, in SL, you will never get to know the actual fuel figures..because when it comes to talking about fuel figures...we Sri Lankans are like a bunch of horny, virgin teenage boys at a party that is a total sausage fest talking about how they net in hot babes every weekend.

What most car sellers state is what the manufacturer's website says it is in Japan. Since Japanese manufacturers moved away from JC08 the reported value has become pretty accurate. However, it is accurate for Japan...not in SL. The contexts are different. For starters, in Japan cars run in cooler temperatures for a larger part of the year than in Sri Lanka....then on top of that..there are more city-loop/urban expressways and more highway usage in Japan than in SL. To give you an idea....the average traffic speed in Tokyo last year was 15.7kmph..in cities like Osaka, Fukuoka the average speed is close to 25kmph. In contrast the average speed in Colombo is a little over 7kmph. So we literally sit in raffic almost twice as long as Tokyoites do and that effects fuel figures...

Some Japanese car magazines have been using press Raizes for a few months now and according to their articles the fuel figures are better than what Toyota has claimed (by rounding up...so pretty much the same). But again...different context

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tiv said:

Thank you for the referral 

Seriously though, jokes aside, as I'm not a colombo/city person I have to ask: you mentioned 'sold the vitz due to peer pressure'..is that an actual thing in those sides?

2 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Seriously though, jokes aside, as I'm not a colombo/city person I have to ask: you mentioned 'sold the vitz due to peer pressure'..is that an actual thing in those sides?

I am from Kandy, my wife and I have heard numerous talks from colleagues and even my dad to shed it and buy the Raize, my dads more on trying to force a Hyundai Venue on me, I bought the vitz last July lol, just done 2600 odd km since I bought it. It was bought for my wife to go around, but the car being so low and fragile, it’s I who’s been chauffeuring her about.  I’ve not even tried to take it apart yet!

Edited by tiv

2 minutes ago, tiv said:

I am from Kandy, my wife and I have heard numerous talks from colleagues and even my dad to shed it and buy the Raize, my dads more on trying to force a Hyundai Venue on me, I bought the vitz last July lol, just done 2600 odd km since I bought it. I’ve not even tried to take it apart yet!

Ah! So what I have been facing a few months back was this 'peer pressure' except not for the raize, but to go back to a rattly old crapbox. 

Isn't the vitz & raize a bit similar to each other? Also, why even buy another crossover when you already have one, right?

48 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Ah! So what I have been facing a few months back was this 'peer pressure' except not for the raize, but to go back to a rattly old crapbox. 

Isn't the vitz & raize a bit similar to each other? Also, why even buy another crossover when you already have one, right?

We have bunch of suvs in the family, all thirsty, a nightmare in the traffic and to park.

certified patients from the Unit#d Mot#rs hospital.  
We had a 2 of them keis , loved that era, gradually sold them, 

im yet to drive a Raize, I did see one finally though, I also took a glance at the Hyundai venue , I like it’s Looks but the dual clutch thing is kind of scary and the whole brand thing. My dad has kidnapped the Vitara now.

Edited by tiv

51 minutes ago, tiv said:

We have bunch of suvs in the family, all thirsty, a nightmare in the traffic and to park.

im yet to drive a Raize, I did see one finally though, I also took a glance at the Hyundai venue , I like it’s Looks but the dual clutch thing is kind of scary and the whole brand thing. My dad has kidnapped the Vitara now.

Lol, RIP Vitara, you will be missed.

Meanwhile, is the DCT truly a lost cause in srilanka? Aside from creeping in traffic & stalling in hills, haven't the public/agents/shops learnt a thing or two on how to properly maintain them? There are tons of DCT cars, ranging from hatchbacks to supercars in sri lanka, surely there must be a non-scary way to ownership for future owners? 

Also, if I was in your place and was settling down & wanted to shed a car, I'd go for a nice little weekend car for the sunset drives, special days, racing meets & what not. Just saying.

1 hour ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Meanwhile, is the DCT truly a lost cause in srilanka? Aside from creeping in traffic & stalling in hills, haven't the public/agents/shops learnt a thing or two on how to properly maintain them? There are tons of DCT cars, ranging from hatchbacks to supercars in sri lanka, surely there must be a non-scary way to ownership for future owners? 

Also, if I was in your place and was settling down & wanted to shed a car, I'd go for a nice little weekend car for the sunset drives, special days, racing meets & what not. Just saying.

Keeping the DCT for outstation drives and early mornings weekends where there is less traffic.

For the Colombo traffic Wagon R which is as fast as any super car.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, tiv said:

Mate.

I would appreciate if you could update on your Nissan leaf. Thank you

15 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

believe me I’ve tried, there was a copen phase, gave up 

there was a merc cla phase, gave up again 
Never can afford a fun or recreational vehicle yet, too many commitments, it’s just got to be something practical, I do try to get the best out of what I have,

2 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Mate.

I would appreciate if you could update on your Nissan leaf. Thank you

Oh yes, I bought it in October 2015, ran it for like 40 to 50,000 odd km,

did the routine maintenance at Unit#d Mot#rs drive clean facility, you know wash, scan, clean brakes. Didn’t replace a single part 

at first the range was like 120 to 150km, probably with improving driving style. Thereafter it lost 4 indicator bars over 3 years, I sold it in 2018, with like 1.2 mil loss in depreciation. The range was like 80km to 100km when I sold it, I never ran it without AC.

There was a lot to appreciate about that car, how solidly it’s built, the pickup, the feel and the crazy good brakes. And I was rear ended 2 times, the car is insanely strong, they were all minor fixes, the paint didn’t even come apart. 
the headlights have a crazing issue, besides the battery issue that car is flawless, 

the R17 tyres were a bit hard to find, and being the low profile they easily got torn up, esp in the rear, finally I put a set from the vezel size, thereafter had no issues, just a minor change in (few mm)profile 

thr ground clearance is also quite good.

Edited by tiv

53 minutes ago, tiv said:

believe me I’ve tried, there was a copen phase, gave up. it’s just got to be something practical, I do try to get the best out of what I have,

Oh yes, I bought it in October 2015, ran it for like 40 to 50,000 odd km,at first the range was like 120 to 150km, probably with improving driving style. Thereafter it lost 4 indicator bars over 3 years, I sold it in 2018, with like 1.2 mil loss in depreciation. The range was like 80km to 100km when I sold it, I never ran it without AC.

Test drove a leaf a few months back, was very impressed by how quiet yet how quick it can be. The interior was nice & loved the start up chime :)would take some time getting used to its character but no biggie I guess.

There are leafs (leaves?) For sale with medium level mileage and in need of replacement batteries going for under 1.1 million. How much would the battery cost here? Also aren't there any proper shops that can repair/rebuild/replace the battery for a reasonable price? 

Also, I hope you get the chance to buy a nice weekend car someday! Maybe go for a weekend sedan like a Mark X/Mark II/Altezza? Or if the traffic is irritating (like it usually is in kandy), how about a nice little Alto RS or Swift Sport (easy to maintain & a blast to drive)?

I remember the CLA phase but not the copen though. Well, someday!

Edited by □AVANTE□

7 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Test drove a leaf a few months back, was very impressed by how quiet yet how quick it can be. The interior was nice & loved the start up chime :)would take some time getting used to its character but no biggie I guess.

There are leafs (leaves?) For sale with medium level mileage and in need of replacement batteries going for under 1.1 million. How much would the battery cost here? Also aren't there any proper shops that can repair/rebuild/replace the battery for a reasonable price? 

Also, I hope you get the chance to buy a nice weekend car someday! Maybe go for a weekend sedan like a Mark X/Mark II/Altezza? Or if the traffic is irritating (like it usually is in kandy), how about a nice little Alto RS or Swift Sport (easy to maintain & a blast to drive)?

the cheapest ones are the first gen, Zeo chassis code, pre 2013, this has the same battery but less efficient inverter, factory range was like 95km here, now at the 30kms mostly. 

My knowledge on the subject has not been updated from 2018, so new theories might be out, also the clientele / average leaf owner has changed with prices, thus new methods maybe there 

Batteries ranged from. 275000 recon  to 2mil at Nissan USA, Nissan agent quoted 1mil for the battery, fresh unit back then, without coding fees

Deal was this, 

Brand new battery with the agents tools can be programmed and run like new.

Anything else was not compatible, as most parts of the leaf were coded, with a batch, something like a canbus system regulates this, so if u are to find a recon part, the part has to be from the same batch, making it unicorn rare to find a match. The car wouldn’t turn on or go to drive or go in limp mode if this didn’t match, depending on what you replaced.

Several institutions and individuals did repairs on the pack, 

They take the pack apart and replace cells, this did work but overall the wear is not on just one cell, it’s the entire pack, replacing 1 or 10 cells (modules containing many cells) didn’t do much on the long run. But this bypassed the coding problem but gave another, opening the pack made it loose the waterproof rating, and was susceptible to water ingress, condensation and fires. So many owners gave up on that. 
Yet some prevail and somehow they do various repairs and run 

again new findings maybe out there. This was when I sold mine

but given the added cost of repairs, range anxiety people started selling them off, in turn depreciating badly. 

also body panels were very expensive, and insurance premiums became astronomical, and some even resorted to add a clause where the battery was not covered. 

leasing companies also panicked, when they came in, people bought em and them leasing fellas sold facilities by the hair. By 2018 they started pushing any dues and trying to repossess irregular owners to auction them off and escape. They even gave various concessions to help people clear it off faster. 

to add the govt increased the duty on electric cars, so new imports stopped, the ripple stopped, parts stopped.

mudalali and their warranties disappeared, and a few con men emerged as well to make a quick buck. 

the agent also did not at all endorse the vehicle here, they were more concerned on trying to shed their fleet of combustion engines, they did get the proper coding tool and a few suspension parts though, if I remember right they had the lower suspension arm rotting away badly and shearing off the shock absorber.

the battery has passive cooling which made it the Achilles heal in the colombo heat.
Elon musk mocked this a long time ago.

Owners formed a club and requested Nissan Japan’s help, but they declined saying it was not meant to be sold here.

again old news, if anyone is updated please share 

Edited by tiv

8 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

I did drive a friends Swift Rs turbo and loved it, the alto is a bit too small for my concerns. Thank you for your wishes, hopefully before I get senile or I forget how to use a clutch lol !

Edited by tiv
  • Haha 1