• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan patrol Y60 engine Swap/conversion

Dave8781

Thought to add my experience here.

I got fascinated with the Y60 few years back after a friend did a total rebuild on one that he bought for a comparatively lower price. I had a spin in it and loved everything about it. This was when I'd been having the 2007 Hilux (HL3) for seven years. I'm an occasional off-roader due to not being able to spare much time for it. Btw, I'm not a real CAR guy and hence my bias towards taller, higher ground clearance, 4WD vehicles.

So looked around and checked out several Y60s and finally found a second owner specimen which was the best out of the lot. Manual gearbox. Original TD42 had been replaced with a new TD42t in it but had been done proper. CR had been updated as well. So though the asking price was high, considering the fact that it had a few mechanical and cosmetic issues to be fixed, still went ahead and bought it. This was because it was a minimalistic vehicle and there isn't anything that cannot be fixed. After purchase, changed all the oils, break pads/liners, rebuilt the diesel pump, replaced the clutch booster, pressurized the injectors, new clutch/pressure plates, bushes and few other bits and pieces and she was running much smoother.

Been two years now and I'm so used and very comfortable with it. Daily runner and 90% within the city.

Recently changed the Maxxis MT Bighorns on it (were extremely noisy as they wore on and gave a rough ride) to Cooper LT AT3 XLT and now its much quieter and smooth. Also changed from factory coils/shocks to Tough Dog (3" lift) and she sits as I prefer now.

Of course doesn't pull like the Hilux. Not at all nimble either. Poor turning radius too, takes three full lanes to turn. No ABS, so better watch out and brake early. The rear disk brakes help a lot though.

Lets not compare the TD42t and 2KD for fuel efficiency :) But when it comes to torque....the TD42t is in a league of its own.

It taught me that its not always HP that matters. Gentle off-roading is easy peasy for the Patrol. Yet to do anything serious off-road in it.

Parking is a challenge, unless you are somewhat of a master of judging dimensions and visualizing whether the patrol will fit within a certain slot or not. You got to be able to get in and out afterwards too. I do all my errands in it and been managing somehow without any major issues. Before I park in any place, I try to ensure that I would be able to maneuver and get out of there and won't be blocked by our fellow city dwellers who park as they fancy. Also after parking, I don't mind walking 150 meters to my desired location. So that helps. Mine is a high roof wagon. So, entering basements or any indoor car parks, got to be watchful but even with the 3" lift, I'm yet to come across an indoor car park (been to almost all the malls, hotels and hospitals) where the roof was too low for my Patrol.

I've been to several parts of the country. Even remote ones and I've made sure that the Patrol is mechanically sound at all times to ensure I don't get stranded anywhere with any issues. Compared to the Hilux, travel lag is very much less in the Patrol. Possibly due to the coil suspension at  the back and more head room due to the high roof as well as dual ac.

If you are a genuine enthusiast for the vehicle of this nature, who would not see the above as negatives but have pleasure in working around them (which I do), go ahead and buy it. But please rebuild the original TD42 and keep it. There is a guy in Alawwa who stocks all Patrol stuff. You can source almost anything Patrol related from him. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Edited by SanjeevMahen
  • Thanks 1