• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan patrol Y60 engine Swap/conversion

Dave8781

stick to the brand mate if you want it to have some value

thereby TD42, bolt on easiest way to go

is this a LWB Nissan Patrol you are talking about? 

if that is so, it looks like you've not done your research considering the tiny engine lumps 2L 3L 5L engines you've picked up, for large truck

I doubt even a 1KZ or 4m40 can do justice, maybe a 4m41 or ZD30 would make it move a bit brisk.

If you want Toyota try a 12H or 12HT, Mitsubishi 6DR5, definitely something on the 4000cc up 6 cyl region to do some justice, coupling the 4wd gearbox is your nightmare.

may i ask why you need a new engine? you can always rebuild properly and just source the gearbox?

1 hour ago, Dave8781 said:

But the patrol Y60 came with the RD28T engine which is a 2.8 TD.

And the TD42 is not turbocharged it only makes a measly 120bhp.

I`d say TD42 all the way. These can be turbocharged if required yea? Apparently can even be done with the factory fuel pump. 

I haven't driven a TD42 in person, but I do know that old school small displacement turbo diesels are a royal pain in the arse under off-road conditions (in heavy 4WD`s like the Patrol). Especially when a whole lot of toque is not available until the turbo is spooled up. Higher displacement non turbo`s generally have good low down torque and tend to be extremely long lived engines due to the under-stressed nature. The TD42 is a legendary engine and any Patrol with a TD42 still demands a premium over any lower capacity Diesel where I live (Australia)...

Edited by MrCat
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrCat said:

I`d say TD42 all the way. These can be turbocharged if required yea? Apparently can even be done with the factory fuel pump. 

I haven't driven a TD42 in person, but I do know that old school small displacement turbo diesels are a royal pain in the arse under off-road conditions (in heavy 4WD`s like the Patrol). Especially when a whole lot of toque is not available until the turbo is spooled up. Higher displacement non turbo`s generally have good low down torque and tend to be extremely long lived engines due to the under-stressed nature. The TD42 is a legendary engine and any Patrol with a TD42 still demands a premium over any lower capacity Diesel where I live (Australia)...

But the TD42 tends to be very expensive

Is there any other engine that would work great?

Well if you wanna go off brand;

1HZ, 1HD-FTE, 1KD-FTV, 12H from toyota

4M40/4M41- Mitsubishi

But i recommend the TD42 at any cost because it wil keep the originality of the vehicle. even the RD28T would be a good option, It looks more powerful than the TD42 on paper. But at the end of the day for a big SUV what matters is the low-end torque which the TD42 has plenty for a simple straight forward engine. I believe the new Y61 has ZD30 as well, It is the nissan's equvalent to the 1KD-FTV from toyota so do check that option as well. 

Having previously owned a Y60 long time ago, my personal opinion is that the TD42 is a beast of engine, Just loved the bass exhaust note it had. May be under-powered in todays context but mine which was YOM 1993 and me owning it in 1997 felt very lively and powerful. Maybe now these units are old and it has lost horses, thereby making it feel underpowered. These engines were even fitted to the nissan civilian so leave alone the patrol it could power a minibus!

So i do recommend a complete and comprehensive overhaul to bring it back to its old glory. Even then if swapping is the only option then check the 1HZ from toyota which i have seen plenty in SL, because it powers the J100/J71 land cruiser and the toyota coaster.

25 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

@Dave8781 how do you plan on getting around the engine capacity change with the RMV if you're not planning to go with a stock drivetrain replacement?

What engine is on the Y60 now?

It previously had a TD42 but the engine was abused very much it had 420k on the clock.The brakes were very bad.The automatic gearbox refused to change gears easily.And the acceleration was worse than I thought.And I need an engine which would fit my budget.Automatic gearbox so a must.

1 hour ago, top tip said:

4M40/4M41- Mitsubishi

But i recommend the TD42 at any cost because it wil keep the originality of the vehicle. even the RD28T would be a good option, It looks more powerful than the TD42 on paper. But at the end of the day for a big SUV what matters is the low-end torque which the TD42 has plenty for a simple straight forward engine. I believe the new Y61 has ZD30 as well, It is the nissan's equvalent to the 1KD-FTV from toyota so do check that option as well. 

Having previously owned a Y60 long time ago, my personal opinion is that the TD42 is a beast of engine, Just loved the bass exhaust note it had. May be under-powered in todays context but mine which was YOM 1993 and me owning it in 1997 felt very lively and powerful. Maybe now these units are old and it has lost horses, thereby making it feel underpowered. These engines were even fitted to the nissan civilian so leave alone the patrol it could power a minibus!

So i do recommend a complete and comprehensive overhaul to bring it back to its old glory. Even then if swapping is the only option then check the 1HZ from toyota which i have seen plenty in SL, because it powers the J100/J71 land cruiser and the toyota coaster.

I think the Mitsubishi 4M40/4M41 have reliability issues.

1 hour ago, top tip said:

4M40/4M41- Mitsubishi

Is getting a 5L engine and turbo charging it with a intercooler to like 150HP a good idea?

If it is a legit 420k kms that's still better than buying an engine with no provenance from some yard with mileage you can't verify

Again, any idea how you're planning on swinging the engine capacity change with the RMV? Don't forget the rigmarole of getting it weighed etc etc

13 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

If it is a legit 420k kms that's still better than buying an engine with no provenance from some yard with mileage you can't verify

Again, any idea how you're planning on swinging the engine capacity change with the RMV? Don't forget the rigmarole of getting it weighed etc etc

I know it's a headache getting all that done

13 minutes ago, Devinda_Z said:

@Dave8781 don't take this the wrong way but i'm seeing tonnes of various threads - have you decided on a particular model of SUV and bought one or are we still shopping around?

I still haven't bought one but I have my eye on one patrol(the above mentioned one).

I like the Patrol Y60 cuz it has a lot of road presence and the prices of em are reasonable compared to rivals like the land cruiser Sahara.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dave8781 said:

I think the Mitsubishi 4M40/4M41 have reliability issues.

These engines have been used from coaster buses, lorries to their flagship montero, if problems were in order I doubt mitsubishi will be a company now. 

Of course a Frankenstein nissan patrol with a Mitsubishi heart is likely to have problems 

Also I noticed, so many experienced people have pitched in their ideas and suggestions yet you prevail to impose your own myth. 

Unless the block or head is cracked or warped, with a decent sum of money much lesser than a new engine,  you can build the engine to brand new spec, esp Td42, but u need experience and a good mechanic, then it's a matter of finding a imported transmission.  

Dont cut corners when trying to build / restore an old suv, it will be a nightmare to run and will be stuck with an unreliable lump. Take your time, do your research and build her properly.

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave8781 said:

But the patrol Y60 came with the RD28T engine which is a 2.8 TD.

And the TD42 is not turbocharged it only makes a measly 120bhp.

"Torque"

3 hours ago, Dave8781 said:

But the TD42 tends to be very expensive

Is there any other engine that would work great?

There is a reason why its expensive, its sought after and it's good, 

51 minutes ago, Dave8781 said:

Is getting a 5L engine and turbo charging it with a intercooler to like 150HP a good idea?

Again how is a turbo going to help in getting the required torque? You would be stressing the engine, premature wear

Plus the cost of the whole conversion  custom work

The engine plus conversion work, you are looking at 700000 to 800000  if done properly.

Then dmt fees and the hassle 

Then the "additional fees" in the dmt 

Youd be able to buy all new Td42 parts except the block, plus block rebuild and the gearbox for the above costs.

Edited by tiv
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tiv said:

These engines have been used from coaster buses, lorries to their flagship montero, if problems were in order I doubt mitsubishi will be a company now. 

Of course a Frankenstein nissan patrol with a Mitsubishi heart is likely to have problems 

Also I noticed, so many experienced people have pitched in their ideas and suggestions yet you prevail to impose your own myth. 

Unless the block or head is cracked or warped, with a decent sum of money much lesser than a new engine,  you can build the engine to brand new spec, esp Td42, but u need experience and a good mechanic, then it's a matter of finding a imported transmission.  

Dont cut corners when trying to build / restore an old suv, it will be a nightmare to run and will be stuck with an unreliable lump. Take your time, do your research and build her properly.

Yeah good mechanics are hard to come by these days.I thinks TD42 automatic transmissions are quite rare.

1 hour ago, tiv said:

"Torque"

Again how is a turbo going to help in getting the required torque? You would be stressing the engine, premature wear

The engine plus conversion work, you are looking at 700000 to 800000  if done properly.

Youd be able to buy all new Td42 parts except the block, plus block rebuild and the gearbox for the above costs.

I know torque is very important

1 hour ago, tiv said:

"Torque"

But I'm not that extreme off reading type guy.

I just want a jeep which has a big road presence and good height with ground clearance.Most of the time gonna be using it for city running.

Try to keep it nissan bro. The vetarans have already spoken above. They have lot of experience on these matters. I was a noob when I joined. Now I have a good knowledge on automobiles. Not an expert or anything,I learn something new every day. But this forum really educated me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Try to keep it nissan bro. The vetarans have already spoken above. They have lot of experience on these matters. I was a noob when I joined. Now I have a good knowledge on automobiles. Not an expert or anything,I learn something new every day. But this forum really educated me.

Yah

On 1/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, Dave8781 said:

For that you can straight away swap it with Toyota's 1KZ-TE. it is a complete package when compared to modifying a 5L.

3.0L, Fuel Injected, Turbo-Intercooler.

currently in SL market these power some late J70 series box prado, J90 Prado TZ grade, The hiace "Dolphin" Grand cabin - original diesel.

On 1/20/2020 at 10:34 PM, Dave8781 said:

But I'm not that extreme off reading type guy.

I just want a jeep which has a big road presence and good height with ground clearance.Most of the time gonna be using it for city running.

So ultimately you are trying to do all this just for the purpose of using it as a city car.

Nissan Patrol Y60 - An SUV that weighs 2.5 tonnes, That 4.2L TD-42 is no where near fuel efficient, back in the day i could remember it only did 4-5 KM/L so now with aged fuel pump and injectors with the worn engine is gonna have surprising low fuel figures. My old land cruiser sahara J100 with the 1HD-FTE had better fuel figures than that.

And the shear dimensions of it is gonna make driving around and even parking at a modern supermarket really tough since the margins are set for small kei cars- so good luck with that.

Please think twice as using it as a city car because it is going to be an utter waste after everything. specially with the evolution taking place in the SL city car segment, this will merely be an elephant in the room.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, top tip said:

So ultimately you are trying to do all this just for the purpose of using it as a city car.

Nissan Patrol Y60 - An SUV that weighs 2.5 tonnes, That 4.2L TD-42 is no where near fuel efficient, back in the day i could remember it only did 4-5 KM/L so now with aged fuel pump and injectors with the worn engine is gonna have surprising low fuel figures. My old land cruiser sahara J100 with the 1HD-FTE had better fuel figures than that.

And the shear dimensions of it is gonna make driving around and even parking at a modern supermarket really tough since the margins are set for small kei cars- so good luck with that.

Please think twice as using it as a city car because it is going to be an utter waste after everything. specially with the evolution taking place in the SL city car segment, this will merely be an elephant in the room.

Mhh thank u for ur insight man