• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help my Buy a Car around 2.5 Mil

satgurlk

Question

I'm a 4th year student who's following a degree on Weekends and doing a full time job during Weekdays. Since my father passed away recently, I'm in need of selling our Toyota Noah KR42 van and go for a small car.

What I concern is a fuel efficient, reliable car. Since I have limited to do other stuff, I cannot spend time on garages and stuff. I would prefer a Japanese vehicle.

And my budget would be aroind 2.5 mil max.

I kindly ask you advices or suggestions about this.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A730F using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

10 answers to this question

Reliability of a car mostly depends on how it was maintained in the past and partially depends on your luck too. 

If you are judging reliability based on the brand or model, you are on the wrong track. 

In my opinion, you are better off sticking to the KR42, as you know how it behaves. 

For 2.5 mill, my suggestion would be Peroduas. They are built on Daihatsu technology and are simple to use. 

Go for a private family owned wagonR, as most wagonR are butchered, owned by taxi/rental companies, etc..

Japan Alto is also a sensible option, very simple, economical & reliable and is under your budget.

For even cheaper: Perodua Viva Elite is also good, safe, reliable, economical & practical too! Good ones can be had for under 1.9 million.

Whatever car you buy, check thoroughly, don't trust the seller, trust the service records & your knowledge. Take a friend with you too.

Also, sorry to hear about your father. Hope you're doing well! 

Deepest sympathy for your loss. 

Why do you want to sell the Noah in the first place?

If you don't have time to spend in the garage, then forget about selling and buying a vehicle. Selling and buying will consume far more time than you expect. (Unless you sell it to a car sale and buy brand new). Also mess with you work/study schedule, negotiating a sale is nerve-wracking, still have to go to a garage, expenses for travel, every "buyer" trying to test your patience... All that hassle.

My two cents is unless you want to sell it and buy a cheaper vehicle thereby making some profit from the transaction, keep what you have.

I too concur with what the others have said....

Reliability is questionable when it comes to used cars in Sri Lanka and its like playing roulette. What is wrong with your KR42 ? Do you want something smaller because the vehicle is too big for you to drive/use (depending your circumstances and where you live) OR is it because it is starting to having small issues and you are hoping to get a smaller car that is more reliable ?

If you buy a used car (considering the age of the car for your budget) you will still have to take it to the garage and get something fixed even before you start using it...and from that point onwards it will be a matter of fixing things on a car you know nothing about. Why not do a complete fix up of your Noah with proper parts and a proper mechanic/s and then use it for a few more years until you can afford a proper and newer car ?

Thank you all for responding to my topic and, understanding my current situation. And thank you for your condolences !

Sorry for the late reply because, I had trouble verifying the email address.

Yes, our KR42 has no issues (mechanical wise) unless there are few touch ups to do and headlight polishing (cosmetic). My father took care of it very well. A week before father passed away he had done a complete service to the van.

Since, I and my brother and mom is left, I thought it would be inefficient to drive an 8 seater van in Colombo with traffic. Normally she does 8kmpl with AC and 10kmpl outside. I would normally drive her to take my brother to classes since he is still going to school.

I don't know much about Perodua, we have been using Toyotas from the past. Can I know its fuel consumption and stuff ?

18 hours ago, satgurlk said:

Thank you all for responding to my topic and, understanding my current situation. And thank you for your condolences !

Sorry for the late reply because, I had trouble verifying the email address.

Yes, our KR42 has no issues (mechanical wise) unless there are few touch ups to do and headlight polishing (cosmetic). My father took care of it very well. A week before father passed away he had done a complete service to the van.

Since, I and my brother and mom is left, I thought it would be inefficient to drive an 8 seater van in Colombo with traffic. Normally she does 8kmpl with AC and 10kmpl outside. I would normally drive her to take my brother to classes since he is still going to school.

I don't know much about Perodua, we have been using Toyotas from the past. Can I know its fuel consumption and stuff ?

Known devil @satgurlk - since the vehicle is known and cared for why not just keep using it?

Sure you will be able to get a smaller more fuel efficient car but it won't be brand new so no guarantee that the previous owner has maintained it. Also some may need 95 Octane fuel so keep that cost increase as well as the maintenance in mind when calculating if there is actually a substantial gain in switching cars

17 hours ago, Prasanth Parathan said:

can we fix abs to 2011 viva elite std? how much will it cost?

Yes..technically possible. You need to get all the components from the Vival Elite variant that came with ABS and retro fit it to your car. 

HOWEVER, it might not be financially viable. Selling your Viva Elite without ABS and buying one with ABS would actually cost the same (if not even cheaper). Besides, the ABS being factory fitted and configured gives greater peace of mind doesn't it ?