• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Front part of this piece in the picture is broken and detached from the car

hustlehard

17 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Looks like the engine under-guard, previous owner must have bottomed out the car and broke it. You could get it plastic-welded for cheap rather than replacing 

Okay thank you, is it safe to drive like this for sometime without repairing it?

5 minutes ago, hustlehard said:

Okay thank you, is it safe to drive like this for sometime without repairing it?

What could possibly go wrong, the worst that could happen is you losing the entire piece before you get it repaired... It's just a plastic shield that protects the engine bay from splashes and such

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hyaenidae said:

What could possibly go wrong, the worst that could happen is you losing the entire piece before you get it repaired... It's just a plastic shield that protects the engine bay from splashes and such

i see i see
But still skeptical about driving it for like another 2 weeks before getting repaired
would you do it if you were in my situation?

That is just an under-cover piece for the engine. All it does is cover dust and other debris going in to the engine bay. Nothing will happen if you drive with it broken for a few weeks. Just get it plastic welded when you can. The most that can happen as the others have suggested is that it might fall off.

As @kusumsiri mentioned..unless that photo was taken in some weird angle with a funky lens (like a fish eyed lens or something) that wheel's camber seems to be off. Do you notice how a bulk weight of the wheel seems to be way too much on to the inner side of the tire ? Interestingly the outter side of your tire seems to be work out and needs replacement soon.

• Like 1

Same thing had happened to my car. The whole thing was gone lol. All I do is avoid big puddles & running over a branch as they could kill the timing belt.

Now it's fine cause I got a piece of the plastic and blocked off the timing belt area.

Fun fact: despite being a cheap piece of plastic, it is a vital part of your car's aerodynamics. So if you were to drive without the whole thing, you would suffer from slight increase in engine heating & a tiny drop in fuel economy.

On 1/17/2020 at 6:05 PM, □AVANTE□ said:

Same thing had happened to my car. The whole thing was gone lol. All I do is avoid big puddles & running over a branch as they could kill the timing belt.

Now it's fine cause I got a piece of the plastic and blocked off the timing belt area.

Fun fact: despite being a cheap piece of plastic, it is a vital part of your car's aerodynamics. So if you were to drive without the whole thing, you would suffer from slight increase in engine heating & a tiny drop in fuel economy.

This is highly unlikely though as the timing belt is covered by the timing belt cover itself and then the crank shaft sprocket that is coming out is also pretty decently covered in the back...so the excess "compromising material"  that can get in there to hurt the timing belt is quite low. However, what can get problematic is debris hitting the fan/alt belt. Even then you would need to be really unlucky to get something that can cause some serious damage to get in there. Those belts run fast enough that any mud splashes that get on it whilst running just gets thrown off...not to mention that the air turbulence the belt itself created keeps smaller sprinkles off anyway.

Edited by iRage

3 hours ago, iRage said:

debris hitting the fan/alt belt. Even then you would need to be really unlucky to get something that can cause some serious damage to get in there. 

Not really, I've heard that the issue with the alt belt adjuster of the WagonR is caused because it doesn't have adequate covering; many people have experienced the issue after hitting a puddle or getting the engine bay pressure washed from underneath 

Edited by Hyaenidae

17 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Not really, I've heard that the issue with the alt belt adjuster of the WagonR is caused because it doesn't have adequate covering; many people have experienced the issue after hitting a puddle or getting the engine bay pressure washed from underneath 

Well..that is a bit of an odd case because the issue is that the ball bearing that has been used seem to be of low quality (i.e. specifications that do not meet SL driving conditions or any contaminants actually). Once a better quality bearing has been used that really does not come up...so the issue was not really the basic elements contaminating the engine messing it up...it was a case of the bearing getting messed up for anything.

To be honest the under covers that come in 99% of the cars do not protect the engine against anything after sometime because the slightest bump/rub on anything pretty much mis-aligns everything....the engines still get muddy and gunky and stoned up....

Edited by iRage