• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kia Stonic offerred by Kia Motors Lanka

Crossword

Question

Got the specs of Kia Stonic offerred by Kia Motors, so thought I would publish the details here for anyone interested. I would also like to know your opinion regarding how it compares to other popular small SUVs in Sri Lanka in the same price range such as MG ZS and Hyundai Venue.

Stonic 1.PNG

Stonic 2.PNG

59 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

*7 speed DCT*

vaIPt1n.jpg

You should have said the same when the Hyundai Venue was revealed lol

Why do koreans love DCT so much though? (Dog Curry Tasty??)

Edited by □AVANTE□

Same deal with the hyundai venue as well right 

Same price as well. It's like they are trying to cancel themselves out 

Went to see the KIa stonic the basic one was not there the full option 5.4, and looked at from the out side looks ok.

But was worried about the DCT gears and Kia said it does 13 in the city ??? the other 3 cylinder Suzuki vitara does 7.5

the warranty means you must bring it to kia motors for every little thing otherwise the warranty will be null and void.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, noddy said:

Went to see the KIa stonic the basic one was not there the full option 5.4, and looked at from the out side looks ok.

But was worried about the DCT gears and Kia said it does 13 in the city ??? the other 3 cylinder Suzuki vitara does 7.5

the warranty means you must bring it to kia motors for every little thing otherwise the warranty will be null and void.

Yes the vitara has very low fuel figures, probably maybe coz it doesnt have cvt or dct, just a conventional auto transmission. 

Just for discussion 

Were all dcts that bad? 

Vezel yes, previous merc cla yes, 

Xtrail yes

But Honda grace I've not seen cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noddy said:

As I have heard, one of the good things about DCTs is that they have better fuel consumption.

15 minutes ago, tiv said:

Yes the vitara has very low fuel figures, probably maybe coz it doesnt have cvt or dct, just a conventional auto transmission. 

Just for discussion 

Were all dcts that bad? 

Vezel yes, previous merc cla yes, 

Xtrail yes

But Honda grace I've not seen cases.

Thank you! This is actually what I am interested in too. Having said that, there has been a recent(as recent as 2020 January) recall of Kia Seltos 2020 due to some issues(overheating and skipping odd gears) in its 7 speed DCT gear box.

https://www.thequint.com/tech-and-auto/car-and-bike/kia-seltos-recall-for-dct-automatic-transmission-issues

Kia seems to have fixed the gear skipping issue with a software update. Wonder if the same issues have made it to other models as well.

2 hours ago, noddy said:

Well you need not worry about DCT transmission or GDI engine related issues in the first 5 years of ownership since it is covered by KIA warranty. And as @matroska mentioned since you are buying from the agent you will not be stranded where there is only the expensive route to take.

If the engine or the gearbox are found to cause issues in Sri Lankan conditions as with how certain models proved to be (Montero, Vezel etc); then what will affect you is resale value, when you try to sell off the vehicle where a lot of negative reputation would surround the particular model.

The GDI engine and DCT combined would possibly give higher performance and better fuel figures than the Vitara, MG and Raize etc. But, if it will actually return 13 km/l in the city is for an actual owner to comment.

But, bringing in the vehicle to the agent during the warranty period is not a bad thing isn't it? Most of the agents do the maintenance work free of charge during the warranty I guess. On top of that, they would surely perform a better job than most of the average garages you find. But, of course it will be troublesome if you are residing in an area which does not have a KIA service center

• Like 2

well spoke to the sales chap he said I can service from any where after the first 3 services but if i service from any where else and

they will question what the Kia had done and what the other service are done so that may lead to a serious confusion.

and Kia says we need to put 95 petrol ? can we put 93 or 92. most of the jap used once i have use 92 only  

5 hours ago, noddy said:

and Kia says we need to put 95 petrol ? can we put 93 or 92. most of the jap used once i have use 92 only  

This is bu**s**t extactly what was told to me too when i bought the Picanto.

Went through the manual and the recommended was 92 as i remember and the car was happy on that without any hesitance or knocking

Are GDI engines that bad? Only the older Montero's and IO's had this issues. Also a lot of vehicles are GDI nowadays. Specially most of the euros. Also DCT issue is mostly on Honda's. I would take DCT over that noisy slow CVT anyday.

8 hours ago, kush said:

Went through the manual and the recommended was 92 as i remember and the car was happy on that without any hesitance or knocking

My old PJ IO wasn't happy at all with 91 octanes, it is ok with 95 and with 98 it is much happier (but I am not as it's expensive) In my understanding engine manufacturers design the engines to the worldwide market now where it was bit different back then. 

My RX450h (2GR-FXE D4 type engine) takes any patrol from 87 octanes onwards and I usually fillup using regular 91's and 95 some time, engine adjust to the fuel automatically and EUC adjust the setting to avoid any knocking.

Sales staff give you a lot of bull when they try to sell the car, always worth check what's on the manual.

regards,

JC

4 minutes ago, GayanR said:

Doesn't dct fail in sri lanka regardless of the manufacture?or is it happen only on honda dct?

Go take a look at team-bhp, the Indian equivalent of AutoLanka; DSG transmissions of VAG doesn't fare any better in India than DCTs of Honda in Sri Lanka

Edited by Hyaenidae

DCT fails because of crawling traffic conditions and the way we drive trying to go couple of feet every time the car in front moves.

This increase the clutch ware, similar thing can happen in manual transmission as well but we hardly see any manual transmission cars these days.

DCT failures are not so common in vehicles used in non congested areas.

Ideal for the SL conditions in my view is CVT followed by conventional auto which would be Japs (Toyota/ Suzuki)

On 1/19/2020 at 2:51 PM, noddy said:

well spoke to the sales chap he said I can service from any where after the first 3 services but if i service from any where else and

they will question what the Kia had done and what the other service are done so that may lead to a serious confusion.

pennywise..... 

On 1/19/2020 at 8:41 PM, kush said:

So incase of engine issues, would it void the warranty if they found 92 petrol in the tank? Or can we debate by saying the manufacturer recommended is 92?

5 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

So incase of engine issues, would it void the warranty if they found 92 petrol in the tank? Or can we debate by saying the manufacturer recommended is 92?

I don't think they would got to the extent of checking the fuel in the tank, besides i don't think they have equipment to check as well.

Warranty part cost are to the principals account so the local agent is not so much bothered. In my case they replaced a serviceable part as the car was under Warranty.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:04 PM, Hyaenidae said:

I won't buy a time bomb even if someone gave me a guarantee that it wouldn't go off within 5 years, a time bomb is a time bomb ?‍♂️

well it's still better than being stuck with a Vezel with  a St##ling warranty.... I wonder if the agents did some assessment on how the DCT would fare here - this applies to the Hyundais as well

18 hours ago, kush said:

DCT fails because of crawling traffic conditions and the way we drive trying to go couple of feet every time the car in front moves.

This increase the clutch ware, similar thing can happen in manual transmission as well but we hardly see any manual transmission cars these days.

DCT failures are not so common in vehicles used in non congested areas.

Ideal for the SL conditions in my view is CVT followed by conventional auto which would be Japs (Toyota/ Suzuki)

Sadly true - DCT is waaay more fun than CVT (been driving CVT for 5 years now and i really don't like it)