• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any Tips for Leather care?

Klord

Do modern cars with (probably) fake leather interior need constant cleaning/ conditioning? If so, can someone explain the process with available products in Sri lanka. Thank you. :)

P.S.
I drive a 2018 Civic. A car built for a temperate climate now experiencing humid tropics in day to day life. 

Edited by Klord

*Don't keep it parked out under the sun for prolonged periods. If you have to do so, cover the windscreen and open the windows slighty.

*When parking at home or when it's not being used alot, keep the windows slightly open or else you will experience fungus growth on the leather upholstery and if you don't clean it out immediately, it will leave nasty white spots around.

*Use a leather polish from time to time.

*When getting into the car, try to aim your proud cheeks right into the center of the seat. I have noticed how some seats have wrinkles on the side part because they just slide into the seat by sitting on the side and so on.

*Also, does your Civic come with full leather or half leather (center part is fabric, like the vezel/GP5s)? If it's full leather, try not to scooch around alot, sit steadily like a rock.

And no, constant cleaning & conditioning isn't necessary. Maybe give it a little clean & polish with a leather care product once every month or so depending on usage.

EDIT: I use this badu, OneStar Interior Polish 225ml, normal stuff and gives the leather a nice subtle shine. Don't apply in excess though. That's about it!

Edited by □AVANTE□
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

*Use a leather polish from time to time.

What do you mean by leather polish? Please explain. 

4 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

And no, constant cleaning & conditioning isn't necessary. Maybe give it a little clean & polish with a leather care product once every month or so depending on usage.

Can you suggest me good locally available products? FYI, I drive a lot, almost at 10k mark for just under 5 months usage.  

Just now, Klord said:

Can you suggest me good locally available products? FYI, I drive a lot, almost at 10k mark for just under 5 months usage.  

Yes, I just edited my post just a few seconds before you posted this! Check the last line.

9 hours ago, Klord said:

What do you mean by leather polish? Please explain. 

I use 3M leather and vinyl restorer which is available in local supermarkets and some care care establishments. A spray can would cost around 2500 and would last for more than 6 months on moderate use. My vehicles seats are not fully leather but a mix of fabric + leather (there is a fancy term for this which I cannot remember). So far this seems to have worked well but I've only been using the car for 8 months so durability remains to be seen.

Edited by ramishkad

Anyone using Chemical Guys Leather products? I tried and very happy with the results.

image.thumb.png.e6ad73bf77115d070928342d38721520.png

I sprayed the product well over the leather surface and let it soak for about an hour or so then wipe off with a microfiber towel. It gave a nice moisture / soft feeling to the leather and last for couple of months.

• 3 years later...

First off, congrats on your 2018 Civic – excellent choice! Now, let's talk leather care. Even modern faux leather needs some love to keep it looking sharp.
In humid tropics, cleaning and conditioning your seats regularly is essential. I've found that using a mild soap and water solution does the trick for cleaning. Just be gentle with it. For conditioning, opt for a non-greasy, water-based product to avoid sticky seats. If you find that your leather doesn't satisfy you, get a new one from a quality place like https://vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/leather-patina. I hope that helps!

Edited by YalloM3