• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help with buying a used hybrid car

Pubsamare

Yes, I have realized this is a රැවුලයි කැඳයි දෙකම බෑ situation. I'll try to list them in order.

1. Gasoline. Automatic or Triptronic. After 2010.

2. A mid size car (sizes in the range of aqua or the fit), possible to park in limited spaces, and easy to driven by wife. And not too small, should have some boot space. 

3. Fuel efficiency - not too bad, 8-10kmpl in city limits is ok. 

4. Not requiring heavy maintenance, meaning the time consumption as well as cost.

5. Hopefully not too boring to drive. Atleast 1300cc engine. I do prefer cars which have a low center of gravity.

6. Resale value is a minor concern, as I will be using it only for a max of 1.5 years.  

I know that with these requirements, my choices are limited, may be none at all. But hope I can compromise one or two and find a suitable one. Value all your help.

3 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Why not a GP4 RS? There's a very nice looking first owner 2013 GP4 advertised in the "quick" site with all the records for 3.2 mil, sounds ideal for your requirements. You can save the 300k left for a possible battery replacement.

Thank you, that seems like a good option. Will definitely have a look. 

Well..you can look at Fit (please note that most of the RSs here are the RS trim..not the sport variant with the all-round disk brakes and different suspension which was pretty much pulled off of production later on). A 1.3L Vitz (there are a few around). A Swift wold also be a viable option (you should look for the JDM one with at least the minimal safety equipment)

Your age restriction is a bit restrictive. If you are willing to compromise on that you can even look in to cars like the Corolla RunX/Allex. Vitz RS (even the Turbo variant). Also there is a beautiful Altezza for sale at about 3.6mil. These cars are cars hunted by enthusiasts so they pop-up and disappear quite fast. If you keep it in good shape you will be able to sell it off with no problem in after a few weeks :) There was even a Colt Ralliart up for grabs about a month ago...

I'm curious as to why the Prius is not discussed? 3rd Gen 2014 goes around 3.5 mil. Well, the battery may be dead or faulty, which adds about 4.5K. But apart from that and the steering rack problem, it is a decent hatch and with 1.8 engine you get a decent pulling power. Maintenance is low if you keep it well. For the fuel figures, you can get at least 18kmpl in City traffic.

In the event you do buy a Hybrid car with a dead battery..you can always fix the battery (which is partly the reason cars depreciate...it account for wear and tear). I think the issue is the car will be used only for a short period of time and the cost of battery replacement would not outweigh the benefits.

The Prius was not thrown in to the my by me because...well...for the above battery swap reason and also, he is looking for a car that is easy to drive. Have you ever tried reversing a Prius ? rear visibility is an after thought. True..rear view cameras are there...but those are mostly worn out now....granted an Aqua also has appalling rear visibility but the shorter rear makes things a lot more easier.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Prius is out for me due to several reasons. Firstly, it is out of my budget, which is 3.3M max with the possible initial repairs, registration, insurance, etc. So I cannot spend more than 3.1 - 3.2 for the car. Secondly, this will be driven by my wife, who is new to driving (may herne protect us!?). And thirdly, I need to park daily at a place with minimal space, so a lengthy car would be a bit troublesome. And fourthly, as iRage mentioned, this is only for a short period, and I would prefer if the car does not depreciate by a large margin within 1-2 years. 

13 hours ago, Malkoba said:

oh, I drive a prius everyday. about 100 kms which includes multiple reverses in 2 car parks. I never found it hard to reverse it. Probably that's just me :). The main reason I went for prius over Aqua was the space. 

There is nothing wrong with the Prius...people do reverse semi-trucks as well...so once you are used to the dynamics of the car reversing is not a issue. But..considering who will be using it..there are other easier and smaller hanging cars than the Prius.

Also like the OP mentioned...I believe a Prius that would fit his budget would be Priuses (Prisies ?) that have been well used (as taxi cars and then sold off)