• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Checklist before a long trip in a Hybrid Vehicle (Axio)

hustlehard

Hi guys,
Bought an Axio 2014 Hybrid and I'm planning to go Kataragama which is like 250 Kms. (500 Kms up and down) 
Taking the highway route and going through Matara.
If there's any faulty in the battery or anything will the display signal it? 
What should I check in the vehicle before beginning the ride? I'm new to hybrid vehicles so please help me out :)

Thanks!

Edited by hustlehard

Rather than playing blind, do a Toyota Lanka inspection, they ll check the whole car and u ll be enjoying your whole trip 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tiv said:

Rather than playing blind, do a Toyota Lanka inspection, they ll check the whole car and u ll be enjoying your whole trip 

I did at carchecks nugegoda and this was when I bought the vehicle like 2 weeks ago. they told me to service the hybrid battery and thats it  

Check the fluids, tires, lights, make sure that when you do a test drive there are no abnormal sounds and feel in the brakes and no unusual sounds....you should check for these before going on a long trip no matter how long you have owned your car. If one is going some where remote, then one might be tempted to take a small jerry can, a quart of oil and a tool kit as well (but Kataragama is not remote anymore).

If you are uneasy about the Hybrid battery..go get it checked out and see what its potency is like...even if the battery does not hold a charge for long it is not going to abandon you in the middle of no where. The car, for the most part, should run..it is just that your fuel consumption would be higher than normal).

Carry spare headlights. If 12V BATTERY is 4:years or older change. Tyre puncture kit. Learn how to reset ABS as a temporary measure. Hybrid battery failure does not make car undriveable for a few thousand Kms but will strain the inverter.

Edited by mcs627

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

In that case a customary look-see would suffice (fluids, air pressure, brakes, battery etc)

1 hour ago, GayanR said:

If you bring too much attention it will break down

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Check the fluids, tires, lights, make sure that when you do a test drive there are no abnormal sounds and feel in the brakes and no unusual sounds....you should check for these before going on a long trip no matter how long you have owned your car. If one is going some where remote, then one might be tempted to take a small jerry can, a quart of oil and a tool kit as well (but Kataragama is not remote anymore).

If you are uneasy about the Hybrid battery..go get it checked out and see what its potency is like...even if the battery does not hold a charge for long it is not going to abandon you in the middle of no where. The car, for the most part, should run..it is just that your fuel consumption would be higher than normal).

32 minutes ago, mcs627 said:

Carry spare headlights. If 12V BATTERY is 4:years or older change. Tyre puncture kit. Learn how to reset ABS as a temporary measure. Hybrid battery failure does not make car undriveable for a few thousand Kms but will strain the inverter.

Thank you guys, is it possible to check the hybrid battery condition from the driving display?

When we said check the Hybrid battery....the idea was that you go to a service station that specializes in Hybrid components and get a health check done. However, if nothing serious had popped up in the initial car check there probably is not anything wrong except average depletion to be expected from an old car. You really do not need to get paranoid about doing this trip. If the car is in decent shape it will get you 500km and back with no fuss. Even if the Hybrid battery is old and weak..it ill not strand you. 

If the car got a clean bill of health at purchase a few weeks ago; the probability of you screwing up and breaking the car is far greater than the car's current condition screwing you up. Just go on your road trip as you would go on a gasoline car you just would have bought. In any car..you should know that you should not push the car to the max for prolonged periods of time. 

On 1/9/2020 at 6:05 PM, hustlehard said:

I did at carchecks nugegoda and this was when I bought the vehicle like 2 weeks ago. they told me to service the hybrid battery and thats it  

Probably you may finished your trip now. 

Anyway, nothing special for hybrid. Do your general inspections (daily as well as time to time) and enjoy your ride. Nothing else. 

Late reply, hope you had a fun trip. But the things that would really ruin your trip and stop your mobility are:

*Battery (every 3-5 years depending on brand)

*Blown tyre (random/highly worn tyre)

*Cracked rims (cheap chinese alloys/abusive & harsh usage over potholes)

*Fuel pump failure (10-20 years/running frequently on low or empty fuel tank/very high mileage)

*Water pump failure (very old/high mileage)

*Blown Gasket (frequent overheating)

*Coolant hose leak (frequent overheating, check for rigidity)

*Leaking/broken coolant resorvoir (age)

*Leaking radiator (age- If this happens, take an egg and pour it into the radiator, when heated it will seal the leak long enough to get you to a garage)

*Timing belt (every 80,000 - 100,000km or 5-7 years)

*Dead spark plugs (not sure but I think it's around 60,000+km)

*Poor gearbox maintenace history/usage (grinding gears in a manual/wrong oil/creeping in traffic in a DCT/leaking seals due to age)

*Worn out brake pads (15000 - 20000km) ...wait this one won't stop your mobility at all, so don't mind!:sport-smiley-004:

*Cracked/warped/uneven brake discs (abusive usage/ getting splashed by lots of water frequently when very hot/cheap material/not changine pads on time)

*Worn out cylinders/loss of compression (250,000+ kilometers depending on models, small CC engines wear out faster)

*Broken CV joints, Steering rack & pinion, broken axle (Abusive usage/150,000+ km/doing dumb stuff)

that's about it, hope someone can add more to the list! Everytime I look for a reliable car, the deal-maker/breaker is when I think: "can I trust this car to do an all-island tour or not?"

Edited by □AVANTE□