• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

40-,56-,251- number hilux surfs

Dave8781

Happens Many ways

1. Illegal complete vehicles reassembled here and running on other numbers  

2. Body permits, thereby allowing swaps of the body with engines drivetrain 

2. Chassis maybe similar and most components are shared thereby it’s a bolt on job may / may not have the legal framework done 

3. Actual surfs; there are few numbers of almost all generations to the last one 

had motor car numbers 64 65 onwards, never seen a 32, but I have seen a first gen, cannot remember the number but I remember the owner saying it was an Aussie import original 

4. PB XXXX and on are emperor assembled ones

5. You’d be surprised to see the things that are running on Hilux regos

there are Klugers, 4runners, Tundras and even Lj70 land cruisers here running mostly on hilux books.  

Fortunately these being capable vehicles, they have a cult appeal.  everyone I ve seen except for some emperor cars are nicely done up or in pristine oem nick. 

Edited by tiv

21 hours ago, Dave8781 said:

I also asked a friend and he said that people get old 1984-1990 hilux cabs for cheap and fit a hilux surf body into it.The two vehicles(hilux and the surf)have the same chassis sort of.

And they are also done legally through body permits.

Not really..the first generation and second generation Hilux Surfs were based on the Hilux truck of the same era. In fact the name Hilux Surf came because the first generation was actually a surf truck variant of the standard pick up truck; where it was a truck with removable hard canopy  and forward facing rear seats with a roll down tail gate window. It was actually based on ideas from the Bronco which was a popular surfers car. Thus..Hilux Surf. With the facelift of the first generation and the second generation they made it a little bit softer and road friendly but softening the suspension (they removed the nuber of springs). WHilst it remained popular and people loved it...it also lead to technical issues like the vehichle's rear developing a wierd sag as it aged (the springs were not enough to hold on to the weight)

From the 3rd Generation onwards the Surf was based on the Land Cruiser Prado of the same era (i.e. Prado 90 series and Prado 100 series) to eliminate some of those tech issues. The chassis, suspension, engine and drive train components were direct parts from the Prado. I had one of these and it was brilliant..kind of felt like a small Prado and the 2.7 Petrol in Hiux Surf form was a lot better than the 2.7L petrol Prado because of the lesser weight. The move on to the Prado platform was also because Toyota wanted to have a comfy mid sized SUV in the States but did not want to launch the Prado there (Land Cruiser name was reserved for the full sized one) and wanted to capitalize on the 4Runner reputation. With the 4th generation the Hilux Surf got even more plush. So much so that it was actually now as expensive and at times more expensive than the Prado. thus, in Japan the Prado became more popular and subsequently killed the Surf. In the US, the 4Runner kept its popularity because there was no Prado to kill it off and the Lexus equivalent was in a completely different price league and also watered down. Also, as the thing grew, the 4Runner was based on the FJ Cruiser...which eventually got killed off because the 4Runner was popular.

I have not seen many 3rd gen surfs on The road cuz they are very rare.

But I have seen many 2nd gen surf emperors.

And bout that technical issues u can always replace the springs right?

And also I dont think the 2.7lit petrol is as good as the diesel 3.0 cuz diesels are always the best for 4x4 and jeeps.

2 hours ago, Dave8781 said:

I have not seen many 3rd gen surfs on The road cuz they are very rare.

But I have seen many 2nd gen surf emperors.

And bout that technical issues u can always replace the springs right?

And also I dont think the 2.7lit petrol is as good as the diesel 3.0 cuz diesels are always the best for 4x4 and jeeps.

I would say the number of 2nd and 3rd gen surfs are probably pretty much the same (in fact I have seen more emperor 3rd gen ones than 2nd gen ones..in fact I canot recall seeing any 2nd gen ones). Are you sure you got your generations right ?

9 hours ago, iRage said:

I would say the number of 2nd and 3rd gen surfs are probably pretty much the same (in fact I have seen more emperor 3rd gen ones than 2nd gen ones..in fact I canot recall seeing any 2nd gen ones). Are you sure you got your generations right ?

I go with the chaise number KZN130, KZN185 or RZN for Patrol

I am not sure if I have seen much of 2.7 vvti's but heaps of 3.4 quad cam, whatever it is they are good trucks for daily use and weekend campings.

3 hours ago, john cooper said:

I go with the chaise number KZN130, KZN185 or RZN for Patrol

I am not sure if I have seen much of 2.7 vvti's but heaps of 3.4 quad cam, whatever it is they are good trucks for daily use and weekend campings.

Yes....I was wondering if the OP got the generations mixed up because I have seen more 180s than 130s...never any 60s in SL.

1st gen : N60

2nd gen : N120/N130

3rd gen : N180

4th gen : N210

5th gen (4Runner only) : N280

On 1/9/2020 at 11:01 PM, iRage said:

No you're wrong almost all surf emperors were 2nd gens and 3rd gens are rare in SL.

The first pic is the 3rd gen surf.

The second is the 2nd gen surf.

20200112_090516.jpg

20200112_090531.jpg

No you're wrong almost all surf emperors were 2nd gens and 3rd gens are rare in SL.

The first pic is the 3rd gen surf.

The second is the 2nd gen surf.

20200112_090516.jpg

20200112_090531.jpg

Yes you got the generations right....but again..strange that I have seen more 3rd gens in SL than 2nd gens...but what I also said was that perhaps number wise they both are pretty much the same ? 

How are 32- and 61- prado box even possible?

Can you please stop opening new threads each asking how a certain registration number is possible ? I am merging the two threads so you can keep discussing how vehicles can get registration numbers from before the model itself was released.

Edited by iRage

9 hours ago, Dave8781 said:

Yah they are pretty much the same 

Not really!

Had few diesel 130's and 185's, ride quality is way better on 185's I am sure 130's are not the coil-over at the front.

Tranny is a massive improvement from A340E (on 130's) and A343F (on 180's) if you into off-roading you will appreciate the lockable centre diff on 180's

At the end of the 96 180's received the 1kz TE top mount intercooler engine which is much gruntier than the previous 1KZ-TE's but looks to me it just an option as I have seen lots of 98's without IC engine. (i might be wrong here)

130 never fitted with airbags where 180's fitted with airbags and ABS since the 1st production in 1995

regards,

JC

12 hours ago, john cooper said:

Not really!

Had few diesel 130's and 185's, ride quality is way better on 185's I am sure 130's are not the coil-over at the front.

Tranny is a massive improvement from A340E (on 130's) and A343F (on 180's) if you into off-roading you will appreciate the lockable centre diff on 180's

At the end of the 96 180's received the 1kz TE top mount intercooler engine which is much gruntier than the previous 1KZ-TE's but looks to me it just an option as I have seen lots of 98's without IC engine. (i might be wrong here)

130 never fitted with airbags where 180's fitted with airbags and ABS since the 1st production in 1995

regards,

JC

When he said they are pretty much the same..he meant the number of vehicles of the 2nd gen and the number of vehicles of the 3rd gen would be (nearly) the same. He was not implying that the two models are the same.

14 hours ago, john cooper said:

Not really!

regards,

JC

180 came with front coil-overs and rear leafs, 130 had the torsion beams in the front same as the fifth gen hilux. 

180s with the A343F had the valve body failure issue which caused the reverse gear engagement delay. The only 180 I've had the opportunity to drive had it's faulty A343F swapped with a manual G58 tranny. 130 had the part time 4wd system so there was no center differential.

one reason I prefer 130 over 180 for offroading is the final drive gear ratio of the stock rear diff. 130 had the G252/G254 (4.556) while 180 had the G294(4.1). 4.1 is a bit too low on torque even with 31 inch MT tyres.

Edited by alds
Typo

19 hours ago, iRage said:

Can you please stop opening new threads each asking how a certain registration number is possible ? I am merging the two threads so you can keep discussing how vehicles can get registration numbers from before the model itself was released.

What are u getting soo worked up about?

we're getting off topic here.

19 hours ago, iRage said:

8 minutes ago, Dave8781 said:

we're getting off topic here.

Wanting to keep the threads clean is not "Getting worked up". It's easier even for you to have all the information regarding your vehicle search in one place. The questions you have asked in several threads are common among people looking for SUVs and Jeeps of the 90s and 80s. So having them in one place will help out the next forum user looking around for a similar vehicle.

1 hour ago, Dave8781 said:

Its about keeping the threads clean. So please keep them clean. Having a whole bunch of threads titled "<some registration number series> + <vehicle number> is not keeping the threads clean. Why ?

1. The topic of discussion is the same. Most of the responses to the "question" irrespective of the vehicle and the number would be the same (e.g. locally assembled, body transfer, etc..). Forum members will not post the same reply in multiple threads. So you miss information and the info gets scattered. DOes not help you or any other member looking for information

2. As the number of different threads with the same title grows higher, other threads just simply gets pushed back because there are multiple threads discussing the same thing that is drowning it up.

So please be considerate and follow proper forum etiquette.

22 hours ago, iRage said:

Its about keeping the threads clean. So please keep them clean. Having a whole bunch of threads titled "<some registration number series> + <vehicle number> is not keeping the threads clean. Why ?

1. The topic of discussion is the same. Most of the responses to the "question" irrespective of the vehicle and the number would be the same (e.g. locally assembled, body transfer, etc..). Forum members will not post the same reply in multiple threads. So you miss information and the info gets scattered. DOes not help you or any other member looking for information

2. As the number of different threads with the same title grows higher, other threads just simply gets pushed back because there are multiple threads discussing the same thing that is drowning it up.

So please be considerate and follow proper forum etiquette.

Of course I see ur point