• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Top Gear/fifth Gear/jeremy Clarkson Videos!

Pasan_Robotics

It is boring. even with VBH it is boring

Entertaintment wise Noting can beat Top gear With the Trio.

I Love those specials where they went to vietnam and the bolivia. Just Bucket loads of entertaintment

I think the real reason is that we already get the factual information on the internet about hot new cars. Back in the day even Top Gear was factual and that was the source of information for many petrol heads. Now there's plenty of online sources for those, and our expectations have changed wanting the shows to be more of entertainment. Top gear is that.

I've also gotten tired of the irrelevant blabber, but also recognise that a show needs to be commercially succesful to be able to bring the above. Fifth gear was dumped by Channel 5 over here, but picked up Discovery. To be honest don't even know when its on anymore (used to be Monday 8PM).

Isn't it on The History Channel now ? I view it online and it has the History channel logo on it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

And its all over.......

When you read the report, you kind of get there was not much choice in the matter. It wasn't just a single show or lunge or hook. It lasted for some time preceded and followed by a sustained verbal tirade. The guy was saved any further assault by the intervention of people around.

Contrary to my previous comments, I applaud the BBC for not leaking information part way through the investigation to discredit the man, and reaching a fair and inevitable conclusion. It would have been the same in any workplace.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/25/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-contract-bbc

The above offers a more detailed insight into the investigation.

Edited by The Don

Isn't it on The History Channel now ? I view it online and it has the History channel logo on it...

Ah dropped by Discovery as well then. That says something. For better or for worse, I don't currently subscribe to the History Channel.

Wow,so he's gone is he? Didn't think that would happen, but as mentioned above I guess they were left with no choice after he physically attacked the poor producer.

I've always been a fan of Jeremy C. His specials (the "speed" specials in particular) and the review sessions he did on Top Gear ( in particular the RR Overfinch review, the Mercedes S class and the RX8 review) were quite good.

Edited by Kavvz

Ah dropped by Discovery as well then. That says something. For better or for worse, I don't currently subscribe to the History Channel.

Yupp...it is on History

http://www.history.co.uk/shows/fifth-gear

Jason Plato seems to be out completely and they have that Karun Chau-something dude do the shoot outs with TN.

Edited by iRage

Like MD said this really is the end of an era. I can still remember how I used to tune in to MTV back in 2002/3 after watching auto vision on Monday evenings to watch season 1 of top gear. And this year I was just relishing the fact that this will be a longer season and then this happens.

Somebody said its all because clarkson didn't want to change his name to Jennifer. Someone else said the beeb cant let him go because the license money comes from all tv users in the country and they need someone controversial like him entertain some of their license payers.

Anyway its over for good now. We'll be seeing a lot more of clarkson in time to come but top gear is dead for sure. Chris Evans is a chilled out guy and all that but the TG team won't be the same even if hammond and may do decide to work without clarkson.

However I don't know what hammond's and may's contracts say but there'll be big money wherever they team up with clarkson. If someones takes the small risk of starting a big budget show with this trio the world will be a much better place again. And it'll definitely be a private company so they don't have to please the "public" whenever clarkson's being clarkson.

Like MD said this really is the end of an era. I can still remember how I used to tune in to MTV back in 2002/3 after watching auto vision on Monday evenings to watch season 1 of top gear. And this year I was just relishing the fact that this will be a longer season and then this happens.

Somebody said its all because clarkson didn't want to change his name to Jennifer. Someone else said the beeb cant let him go because the license money comes from all tv users in the country and they need someone controversial like him entertain some of their license payers.

Anyway its over for good now. We'll be seeing a lot more of clarkson in time to come but top gear is dead for sure. Chris Evans is a chilled out guy and all that but the TG team won't be the same even if hammond and may do decide to work without clarkson.

However I don't know what hammond's and may's contracts say but there'll be big money wherever they team up with clarkson. If someones takes the small risk of starting a big budget show with this trio the world will be a much better place again. And it'll definitely be a private company so they don't have to please the "public" whenever clarkson's being clarkson.

Chris Evans has denied he will be involved. Its possible Hammond and May will leave too.

Top Gear will probably be relaunched with a different team in 2016. One thing though. Don't be surprised if the BBC manages to do something special with Top Gear. I'm often surprised by the quality of the short series they keep producing like Sherlock etc, and there is a lot of talent there. As one hero falls others may rise, or we can hope.

The key is if the same production team will be involved. I don't think Andy Wilman will stay back as he goes all the way back with Clerkson.

It's quite possible AW and the trio will be sponsored for a new show at a different place. A private venture that wouldn't land in the same soup as the (pathetic, bumbling) beeb. I actually hope that happens and I hope they nag whomever they require from the production crew (money talks eh?) to carry out the same format for people who enjoyed it.

For the rest, there will always be the new TG.

It's quite possible AW and the trio will be sponsored for a new show at a different place. A private venture that wouldn't land in the same soup as the (pathetic, bumbling) beeb. I actually hope that happens and I hope they nag whomever they require from the production crew (money talks eh?) to carry out the same format for people who enjoyed it.

For the rest, there will always be the new TG.

But I ask, what else could the BBC have done? The main facts are actually not disputed. He beat up a man who offered no resistance. Not a fresher either, somebody he has worked with for about a decade. At best it was a cowardly act. Put this in context of the number of times he has been in trouble. It is just not acceptable in a workplace.

Today it was anounced the investigation files have been taken over by the West Yorkshire Police who will investigate and see if a charge of assault needs to be bought.

Clarkson got sacked for punching a Top Gear producer in the face it seems.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3010167/Top-Gear-presenter-Jeremy-Clarkson-sacked-BBC-internal-investigation-concludes-did-attack-producer-steak-dinner-fracas.html?ito=video_player_click

Top Gear fans sure would miss the Arrogant Brit! Any hope for this to be a media stunt?

Edited by isam

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3010167/Top-Gear-presenter-Jeremy-Clarkson-sacked-BBC-internal-investigation-concludes-did-attack-producer-steak-dinner-fracas.html?ito=video_player_click

Top Gear fans sure would miss the Arrogant Brit! Any hope for this to be a media stunt?

Been discussing it for weeks now.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/2190-top-gearfifth-gearjeremy-clarkson-videos/page-11#entry274030

Did you also say that you're going to stop using facebook when they changed their page layout? :rolleyes: Stop being a emo like a drama-queen.

And on a serious note, I guess you (like amny here) illegally download it? So you're generating ZERO revenue for the BBC or any re-broadcasters. So literally no-one gives a f**k if you watch Top Gear or not.

PyAAPpA.jpg

But I ask, what else could the BBC have done? The main facts are actually not disputed. He beat up a man who offered no resistance. Not a fresher either, somebody he has worked with for about a decade. At best it was a cowardly act. Put this in context of the number of times he has been in trouble. It is just not acceptable in a workplace.

Today it was anounced the investigation files have been taken over by the West Yorkshire Police who will investigate and see if a charge of assault needs to be bought.

Anything can be settled, if you got the nous. Shit happens every day in the corporate world, if you fired every aggressive manager in this world it would be a very sad (and a poor) world indeed. I personally know a senior corp exec in Colombo who actually shoved his CEO in a heated moment but the company knew losing him would be much worse for the company than losing the CEO (it was amicably settled). Public institution or not ultimately it boils down to JC and Tymon and anything can be settled between them, me thinks.

Not excusing boorish behavior (if my boss punched me, I would punch him back no remorse), but looking at the bigger picture.

Da faq? Do you read?? :o

Anything can be settled, if you got the nous. Shit happens every day in the corporate world, if you fired every aggressive manager in this world it would be a very sad (and a poor) world indeed. I personally know a senior corp exec in Colombo who actually shoved his CEO in a heated moment but the company knew losing him would be much worse for the company than losing the CEO (it was amicably settled). Public institution or not ultimately it boils down to JC and Tymon and anything can be settled between them, me thinks.

Not excusing boorish behavior (if my boss punched me, I would punch him back no remorse), but looking at the bigger picture.

Well thats one way of looking at it. But here is the thing Vishkid. Even leaving aside the fact that the BBC is a publicly funded organisation mostly funded through the TV license, bullying, harrasment, sexism in the work place have been ignored for far too long. I've heard worst stories than the ones you have mentioned. A friend of mine, a lady nearly got physically assaulted during an argument in Sri Lanka just last week. Now would you feel the same if this was your wife, your sister, your relative or friend? You would feel like going and beating up the guy responsible right?

Its only recently that work place bullying cases have been started to be taken seriously even in the west. For many years it was brushed under the carpet by people in power and has cost the careers of many a bright spark, who left their professions unable to cope with harrasment. Sometimes the harrassment is sexual which still continues (and particularly bad in some industries like entertainment and apparently marketing......) But slowly awareness has come about and now there are specific laws.

Incidents happen all the time. We all have bad days, moments, heated conversations and times when we snap. But here is the thing, there are certain lines we can't cross. A fist fight between friends is not the same as a fist fight between two colleagues.

Things can be seen differently is Oisin Tymon fought back, but he did not. He was a punch bag until somebody else pulled Jeremy Clerkson away. Thought details have not been revealed this apparently is NOT a first time offence.

I'm sure some of you guys have children, and I'm sure you want them to be safe as they grow up and become the best they can be in school and after in their careers. Can you contemplate them working in an environment where they are bullied, harrassed suppressed and assaulted?

I rest my case.

Don't provide excuses to bullying, harrasment and assault at the workplace. And I hope none of you ever have to face it in real life.

I'm also surprised very few people consider the fate of Oisin Tymon, the man who loved his job and Top Gear so much he did not even report this incident. He has somehow been made into the villain here. That I don't get.

PS. If people wonder why I have such strong opinions, well while my profession is in IT, I've done a lot of coaching in my life and counselling and these are amongst the real life issues I've dealt with. Particularly when it comes to children, I feel we as adults have failed if we don't help them achieve their full potential. Top Gear has legions of young fans (such as us when we were younger) and its telecast before the watershed at 8PM on BBC2 (so considered suitable for young people). A man in power getting away with using a colleague as a punch bag is NOT the example we need to set.

Well thats one way of looking at it. But here is the thing Vishkid. Even leaving aside the fact that the BBC is a publicly funded organisation mostly funded through the TV license, bullying, harrasment, sexism in the work place have been ignored for far too long. I've heard worst stories than the ones you have mentioned. A friend of mine, a lady nearly got physically assaulted during an argument in Sri Lanka just last week. Now would you feel the same if this was your wife, your sister, your relative or friend? You would feel like going and beating up the guy responsible right?

Its only recently that work place bullying cases have been started to be taken seriously even in the west. For many years it was brushed under the carpet by people in power and has cost the careers of many a bright spark, who left their professions unable to cope with harrasment. Sometimes the harrassment is sexual which still continues (and particularly bad in some industries like entertainment and apparently marketing......) But slowly awareness has come about and now there are specific laws.

Incidents happen all the time. We all have bad days, moments, heated conversations and times when we snap. But here is the thing, there are certain lines we can't cross. A fist fight between friends is not the same as a fist fight between two colleagues.

Things can be seen differently is Oisin Tymon fought back, but he did not. He was a punch bag until somebody else pulled Jeremy Clerkson away. Thought details have not been revealed this apparently is NOT a first time offence.

I'm sure some of you guys have children, and I'm sure you want them to be safe as they grow up and become the best they can be in school and after in their careers. Can you contemplate them working in an environment where they are bullied, harrassed suppressed and assaulted?

I rest my case.

Don't provide excuses to bullying, harrasment and assault at the workplace. And I hope none of you ever have to face it in real life.

I'm also surprised very few people consider the fate of Oisin Tymon, the man who loved his job and Top Gear so much he did not even report this incident. He has somehow been made into the villain here. That I don't get.

PS. If people wonder why I have such strong opinions, well while my profession is in IT, I've done a lot of coaching in my life and counselling and these are amongst the real life issues I've dealt with. Particularly when it comes to children, I feel we as adults have failed if we don't help them achieve their full potential. Top Gear has legions of young fans (such as us when we were younger) and its telecast before the watershed at 8PM on BBC2 (so considered suitable for young people). A man in power getting away with using a colleague as a punch bag is NOT the example we need to set.

+1. Where's that like button when you need it the most.

Being an aggressive manager and being abusive by no way means the same ! You can be an aggressive in leading and managing,etc...without resorting to low handed acts like physical abuse. Besides, if you are a good/proper "manager" you are going to be respectful of your colleagues/superiors/subordinates (at least the roles if not the people who might be utter idiots) and not going to be decking them out. So I am with The Don on this. There are lines that should not be crossed, and putting things like profitability ahead of things like ethics and morality is just sickening (a sickening reality..but still sickening)

But seriously, do not know what the fuss is about JC and TG is. JC and his co-hosts can afford to be jobless. BBC has always been bankrupt and it will just keep being so. We will still go on learning about cars from online and other sources (which lets admit has been the most predominant). As much as I liked TG it did kind of remind me of Beavis and Butthead :)

Thanks for missing my point. :)

JC's case is not the tuning point of pushing back against workplace abuse, nor will it set a meaningful precedent because of the context and the public characters involved; But I hope it does. There are incidents and there are resolutions and if BBC thinks this is the resolution, thumbs up for them.

I work in both US and SL with Sri Lanka's largest manufacturing sector employer and believe me I have seen more than my fair share of incidents (but maybe thankfully, nothing violent first hand) and I know how they are resolved within a proper framework. Nothing gets brushed under the carpet and the difference may be is in that the resolution is not handled by some black and white rule book but in a consultative and a holistic manner that puts more weight on the trend rather than the incident - depending on severity. Some of our best managers are not the least respectful of you and your opinion but they run some of the most effective parts of the organization where employees are no less happy than under the most amicable and respectful manager. Respectfully, I would say I understand this context pretty well.

Now I understand JC was 'yellow carded' for his other offences (which are not workplace abuse) and I haven't really searched for his previous work place abuses. I just expressed opinion that the situation should get resolved in the correct context. It's easy for some to draw lines and work in black and white - but in practicality that rarely works in isolation and a dose of common sense should often be applied.

Thanks for missing my point. :)

JC's case is not the tuning point of pushing back against workplace abuse, nor will it set a meaningful precedent because of the context and the public characters involved; But I hope it does. There are incidents and there are resolutions and if BBC thinks this is the resolution, thumbs up for them.

I work in both US and SL with Sri Lanka's largest manufacturing sector employer and believe me I have seen more than my fair share of incidents (but maybe thankfully, nothing violent first hand) and I know how they are resolved within a proper framework. Nothing gets brushed under the carpet and the difference may be is in that the resolution is not handled by some black and white rule book but in a consultative and a holistic manner that puts more weight on the trend rather than the incident - depending on severity. Some of our best managers are not the least respectful of you and your opinion but they run some of the most effective parts of the organization where employees are no less happy than under the most amicable and respectful manager. Respectfully, I would say I understand this context pretty well.

Now I understand JC was 'yellow carded' for his other offences (which are not workplace abuse) and I haven't really searched for his previous work place abuses. I just expressed opinion that the situation should get resolved in the correct context. It's easy for some to draw lines and work in black and white - but in practicality that rarely works in isolation and a dose of common sense should often be applied.

You are welcome....and thanks for missing my point to :)

I am glad you have worked in the US and SL...I feel like I would list my work countries too but that would take too long :sport-smiley-004:

Anyway, my point was....you can be an aggressive boss and not be abusive. An abusive person may be aggressive but an aggressive person is not necessarily and doesn't necessarily got to be abusive.

True, what constitutes as abuse can be relative from person to person. If an aggressive boss is stringent about leave and work hours and rejects anything less than 200% of one's capabilities someone might consider that to be abusing them ....but like The Don said there is a line that should never be crossed and all though unspoken of we all know of it. Again...there is a difference between pushing people to get the most out of them and do their best and abusing them. If you need to punch people, sexually, mentally, emotionally harass people in to intimidation to get their best output then there is something seriously wrong with your management style.

Yes organizations have frameworks to handle these issues, but its implementation and success in resolution is dependent upon management and leadership within an organization. Also such frameworks are not just for resolution but also deterrence. All the organizations I have worked for have had 0 tolerance for abuse. Yes..even very successful country directors have been kicked out or placed in the middle of no where. The most humorous was when a group of people were quietly shipped out of a country for sexually abusing goats :)

You are welcome....and thanks for missing my point to :)

I am glad you have worked in the US and SL...I feel like I would list my work countries too but that would take too long :sport-smiley-004:

Anyway, my point was....you can be an aggressive boss and not be abusive. An abusive person may be aggressive but an aggressive person is not necessarily and doesn't necessarily got to be abusive.

True, what constitutes as abuse can be relative from person to person. If an aggressive boss is stringent about leave and work hours and rejects anything less than 200% of one's capabilities someone might consider that to be abusing them ....but like The Don said there is a line that should never be crossed and all though unspoken of we all know of it. Again...there is a difference between pushing people to get the most out of them and do their best and abusing them. If you need to punch people, sexually, mentally, emotionally harass people in to intimidation to get their best output then there is something seriously wrong with your management style.

Yes organizations have frameworks to handle these issues, but its implementation and success in resolution is dependent upon management and leadership within an organization. Also such frameworks are not just for resolution but also deterrence. All the organizations I have worked for have had 0 tolerance for abuse. Yes..even very successful country directors have been kicked out or placed in the middle of no where. The most humorous was when a group of people were quietly shipped out of a country for sexually abusing goats :)

Yeah I'm sure those are lovely stories and all this talk about zero tolerance and lines never to be crossed makes you feel all gooey and warm inside. I just pointed out how a successful organization (probably SL's most successful) managed to handle those situations without being mere black and white whilst retaining its position as a most desired workplace for both manufacturing employees and front office cadre. Then again, up to you to discard those practices as arcane and medieval because you think zero tolerance is the reality (good luck!).

Just consider the fact that wherever you maybe, you're functioning under a relatively black and white legal system with all sorts of lines (not to be crossed) marked out in the penal code - yet for all the black and white, that law is executed and enforced through a myriad of court and appeal system, juries and retrials and mistrials and what not. Ask yourself why we go to all that trouble to execute a pretty black and white law. Cheers

Edit: this rant is so OT, so this will be the last from me on this in this thread. Just because The Don and iRage went on the holier than thou tirade based on my "anything can be settled if you got the nous" comment and I like an arse replied with more anal comments above, does not make it absolutely relevant to the thread, even if it has some relevance to the incident. Apologies

Edited by vishkid

You missed my point. I didnt reply to your 'anything can be settled' part. I replied to your implication that aggresive managers are abusive part. You know, the part where you said 'if you fired every aggressive manager...' part. I don't know where you work but I am sorry you have come to believe that aggressive management entails abusing people and then later on getting 'resolved' with frameworks and 'consultative' processes. The point is dear child that to be an aggressive manager you dont have to abuse people. I am sure your so called Sri Lanka's 'probably' most desired manufacturing company has a lot of aggressive managers but are you insinuating that all these guys go around abusing people ? There would be disagreements and conflicts but your do called frameworks and consultative processed are there to make sure it doesnt reach a point of abuse and when it does to move vforward from there. Not as safety net to equate aggresive management to abusive management.

Also, you should learn that zero tolerance does not mean everyone gets fired without proper investigation or consultation. Obviously it seems like you have not worked in such organizations.

Yes my line of work does make feel warm and gooey inside. The only other job I can imagine which would give such a feeling would be to be a doctor or nurse saving a life. Well I've retired from that line of work now anyway.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Vishkid, the question here is not one of feeling gooey and warm, nor taking the moral high ground.

It is right that we try to resolve our differences through arbitration, and not every act deserves punitive punishment. If you read above my initial through was that the BBC had blown this out of proportion and this was a case of two blokes having a bit of an argy bargy. Lets admit it. We've all been there though most have grown out of it. Most of these issues can be resolved with an apology and a good hand shake.

The only question here is one of professional ethics. And there is a line between a heated debate/ argument vs. abuse and assault.

Also the fact that something happens, is no reason for to accept it and say its just how it is.

And long term, having that sort of culture is detrimental to business anyway as it alienates and puts people off such work places and you lose talent.