• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Foggy windshield when raining?

Klord

I will try to explain this as much as I can. I have 2 issues with my windshield/vipers. 

1) When vipers are running while raining, the windshield get blurred for 2-3 seconds.

Consider there is a mild drizzle (not a downpour) and the viper is running on Int (or auto viper). There is a mist like substance which appears on the windshield right after the viper blade passed through. It stays for 2-3 seconds and then disappear. This is not an issue in day time, but in night when its raining, its very difficult to see through the window due to blurred vision.

2) Sometimes when vipers are operating, out of nowhere, the vipers slip causing a "brrr" sound (the sound which appears when you are wiping the floor with floor vipers). This stays for several seconds to mins every time the viper is operating and varies with the intensity of the rain. 

I tried to clean the windshield using, soap/ shampoo/ isopropyl alcohol, but no luck of fixing the situation. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Kal

Edited by Klord

2 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

Was it after the accident repair?? or was it there prior to that?

Thank you for the quick response. I actually updated the thread with more information. Thought of mentioning this as well, but then opted out. As I recall, it wasnt a problem before. 

Edited by Klord

this might be due to the accident repair when the repair guys were painting and cutting surrounding panels paint dust might have come up as a layer on top of the windshield :( happened to me once as well.. It will go away if you properly polish the windshield ..

• Sad 1

Just now, Dee Jay said:

this might be due to the accident repair when the repair guys were painting and cutting surrounding panels paint dust might have come up as a layer on top of the windshield :( happened to me once as well.. It will go away if you properly polish the windshield ..

I doubt this as well. I saw them using sandpapers to clean the windshield in the first time I went to collect the car.

Is this doable with a DIY project? How much will it cost with a professional? 

They might have accidentally sprayed some lacquer/paint over the windshield as well I guess since they tried sandpaper on the windshield :( When they try to do that it actually damages the windshield more I guess.

Well, I wouldn't risk of doing it DIY since I'm not much experienced with the job. Since, this is your 1st car I guess better to get it done from a professional since you are already disappointed of the status of the car after the repair. A professional might charge you something from 5,000 to 15,000 I guess depending on the state of the windshield.

6 hours ago, Klord said:

I will try to explain this as much as I can. I have 2 issues with my windshield/vipers. 

1) When vipers are running while raining, the windshield get blurred for 2-3 seconds.

Consider there is a mild drizzle (not a downpour) and the viper is running on Int (or auto viper). There is a mist like substance which appears on the windshield right after the viper blade passed through. It stays for 2-3 seconds and then disappear. This is not an issue in day time, but in night when its raining, its very difficult to see through the window due to blurred vision.

2) Sometimes when vipers are operating, out of nowhere, the vipers slip causing a "brrr" sound (the sound which appears when you are wiping the floor with floor vipers). This stays for several seconds to mins every time the viper is operating and varies with the intensity of the rain. 

I tried to clean the windshield using, soap/ shampoo/ isopropyl alcohol, but no luck of fixing the situation. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Kal

Have you tried;

1. replacing wipers. 2. Turning your A/C to take fresh air not in recirculate mode 3. Cleaning your glass with Rain-X?

image.thumb.png.a016032107e1dda6684549c994450db4.png

@Klord As @Dee Jay stated, this most probably be due to deposits of paint mist on the windshield and viper blades itself. Since the garage used a sand paper to remove the paint off the windshield there could be small scratches that are not visible to the naked eye. This makes an uneven surface on the glass. 

First change the wiper  blades and see cuz if the wipers are having pint residue, they will not wipe properly.

If that did not help, I believe you need to get your glass polished. I don’t know if RainX will work in your situation but that too is a good option if works. 

There’s a place in katubedda and kandy called ING Automotive (or something similar) that does glass treatments which I’ve seen does wonders for badly damaged glasses. They are expensive though. You can check out their fb page for details.

in the worst case scenario you might have to use a professional service like that to get this fixed properly. 

Cheers!

touch the windscreen with hand you should be able to feel rough paint if it exists. if it exists use some steel wool (Available in all leading supermarkets) where u can find all those dish wash sponges :) , but please use grade only  "0000" the least rough - "this doesn't scratch the windscreen"

while u r polishing with that use some isopropyl alcohol on it. This will help to remove any contaminants

After this water will blur the screen (Wets the entire windscreen)

Then apply famous glass treatment as  kmeeg mentioned.

When you apply this glass treatment first make sure windscreen is clean and dry (if not dry situation will get worsen, and wiper starts jump all over the windscreen)
Leave the glass treatment to dry for about 5-10 min, U will see a foggy residue. Please see if foggy residue appeared uniformly if not again wiper will start  jump and make sounds again ?

Clean the residue with isopropyl alcohol or any glass treatment. Do not use wipers without cleaning the residue properly

On side note- make sure isopropyl alcohol doesn't spill or touch black plastic trims same for famous glass treatment. use sufficient amount glass treatment  when applying... had bad experience ?

@Klord as @trinity has mentioned try getting the wiper blades replaced with genuine ones from Stafford or another supplier who brings down the original ones (would cost around 4,000 to 5,000 LKR I guess).

5 hours ago, trinity said:

There’s a place in katubedda and kandy called ING Automotive (or something similar) that does glass treatments which I’ve seen does wonders for badly damaged glasses. They are expensive though. You can check out their fb page for details.

Yes, I've been to this place to get my headlights cleaned and he did a good job with that. It's quite near to the University of Moratuwa. I asked how much he would charge to polish my windshield and he quoted 12,000 as it had some minor viper scratches in it. I didn't get it done though.

Edited by Dee Jay

I called Kle*n Park & they quoted 7500 for windshield polishing. Said they are using diamond dust to polish it and they also applies a rain guard afterwards for another 1500 LKR. The rain guard contains "cerium oxide", I dont know how it works though. 

3 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

I asked how much he would charge to polish my windshield and he quoted 12,000 as it had some minor viper scratches in it. I didn't get it done though.

Considering this, its a deal, but I dont know whether the quality is same. 

@Klord the guy myself and @trinity mentioned also applies a nano coating on top of the windshield after polishing. The cost varies as per the condition of the windshield with him; so I guess since your Civic is pretty new (mine is a FD series Civic with no polishing done yet) there might not be that much of viper scratches in your windshield which should mean some price around the figure quoted by Kl*** P***.

Both, places seems to be good, so get a quote and decide where you would get the job done :) 

5 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

@Klord as @trinity has mentioned try getting the wiper blades replaced with genuine ones from Stafford or another supplier who brings down the original ones (would cost around 4,000 to 5,000 LKR I guess).

Yes, I've been to this place to get my headlights cleaned and he did a good job with that. It's quite near to the University of Moratuwa. I asked how much he would charge to polish my windshield and he quoted 12,000 as it had some minor viper scratches in it. I didn't get it done though.

I got mine polished from there. Had lot of wiper scratches which made night time driving a headache (Previous owner had not properly changed the wipers and used the same set for a long time). That guy did a damn well job removing those scratches. Now the windscreen is like branch new. He did a water repelling treatment as well. All cost me 15k.  

Klord,

ABOUT CERIUM OXIDE.

You mention about "cerium oxide",  your post yesterday that is in powder form and cream form this is used to get a better polish on the Windscreen. There are number of grades. Fine is the final grade used to polish glasses. Opticians are the people who use this to polish spectacle glasses.

At present this powder or cream is not used by the Opticians due to, they have plastic lenses. Plastic lenses are less in weight than glass lenses.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will check with both K*e** Park and ING and see who does the best job for the money. A bit busy these days deep in the boonies, so no chance to visit the capital city. Will update on the issue once I get it sorted. :)