• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Raize first video review

Ranjitha

And yet again their review is nothing but a listing of accessories and features; which by the way are available in pretty much any new car. 

At the end of the day it is what most of us were talking about before...it is a mid-sized hatchback sized passenger car with SUV looks and features (which is what Toyota calls it). It is a replacement for the Cami/Terios....IMO in 2wd form it's just a mid-sized hatch with ground clearance. 

As even the Japanese reviews have suggested..its a pretty good city vehicle and sufficient on long hauls.

Edited by iRage
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, iRage said:

And yet again their review is nothing but a listing of accessories and features; which by the way are available in pretty much any new car. 

At the end of the day it is what most of us were talking about before...it is a mid-sized hatchback sized passenger car with SUV looks and features (which is what Toyota calls it). It is a replacement for the Cami/Terios....IMO in 2wd form it's just a mid-sized hatch with ground clearance. 

As even the Japanese reviews have suggested..its a pretty good city vehicle and sufficient on long hauls.

Frankly I was also a bit eager and rattled to see this in person, then a pal from Colombo said the same Irage has been yelling all these days, it's small and it's pretty average. I am yet to see the car in person but this is what I understood. 

Real value for money would have been if the top end trim was at 5.1 5.2, but as mentioned that trim is basically a 80s liteace, the X

The G comes in between like 5.5 5.6 again 16 inch wheels rather basic 

So if you are buying one u gotta get the top end 

The Z has a bit of respectable kit as per competition. That at a price crossing 6mil

Idk in what sense anyone would spend that money on this being, being small and similar to a Swift Rs in kit and just being few inches more off the ground or is it? . And low mileage CHRs lingering near the 6.4 mark.

Probably will sell due to "the go with the tide" mentality and it maybe practical but the price ain't that good value for money.

Btw the previous gen Terios was a good mild off roader, idk how this will fare in 4wd form being this urban oriented 

Edited by tiv

Not much value for the permit anyways..

Apparently the daihatsu one has landed here before the Toyota one,, and most of the FB pages are renaming their page names to Toyota Raize/daihatsu rocky fan page, owners club etc etc ?..

But this is going to be interesting folks,, there will be a dilemma for car salesman ,, how to sell the daihatsu after hyping the Toyota .. what would the price be. . Because now while you can't push up the Toyota price ,, Without downplaying the rocky ..   I'm yet to see the price for the rocky..

There's a concept in medicine called synergism ,, where one drug brings up the efficacy of another ,,

And another one called antagonism (self explanatory) ..

Will the raize synergize the rocky .. (salesmen will say,, hey it's a Toyota with a daihatsu badge :)

Or will there be antagonism.

(If rocky gets cheaper People won't pay a higher sum for the raize either, since it's basically the same car) 

13 minutes ago, Ranjitha said:

There's a concept in medicine called synergism ,, where one drug brings up the efficacy of another ,,

And another one called antagonism (self explanatory) ..

Will the raize synergize the rocky .. (salesmen will say,, hey it's a Toyota with a daihatsu badge :)

Or will there be antagonism.

(If rocky gets cheaper People won't pay a higher sum for the raize either, since it's basically the same car) 

Well I think as @iRage mentioned in the previous Raize thread it will boil down to agent support and parts availability etc. as the case in Japan. So, the Toyota could prove to be more popular because of their dealer network. But, when it comes to parts, since both share the same internals and majority of the externals this would be a level ground. Another thing to note is that both being gray imports; both would share the same 3rd party car sales warranties.. 

16 minutes ago, Ranjitha said:

But this is going to be interesting folks,, there will be a dilemma for car salesman ,, how to sell the daihatsu after hyping the Toyota .

Like you said interesting times ahead :D :D 

For me like @kush mentioned the Stonic is a better package than the Raize.. But, I read somewhere it has a dual clutch transmission.. So, with how Vezels and the new Honda hybrids are faring in SL I feel people might stay away from it. But, the agent warranty of 5 years should give you hassle free motoring for a considerable number of years :) 

4 hours ago, kush said:

Kia Stonic @ Rs. 4.95 Mn. starting with agent warranty for 5 years 150K Km. looks pretty decent if you can get away from "Toyota" badge and perceived "Made in Japan" mentality.

Edited by Dee Jay
Added about the Stonic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ranjitha said:

f rocky gets cheaper People won't pay a higher sum for the raize either

Knowing Sri Lankans who 

[1] Pay extra for gold badges on Vezles

[2] Pay extra for "Baig intariyal " on any car. 

[3] Pay XX Extra for Premio over Allion despite being the same car underneath

[4] Pump Nitrogen on tires over regular air which is 80% nitrogen anyway hoping the wear and tear of the tyre will be less

[5] Pump 95 on regular engines that require 92 hoping it will increase fuel economy 

I'm pretty sure they'll pay extra for the Raize. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 1/1/2020 at 3:01 PM, Ranjitha said:

Guys what do you think..?? It's finally here.. man we waited for this one like an overseas hubby waiting for his wifey ??

Dont know who does these reviews in Ela***, whoever it is it just lists the same features like how the ac can cool the cabin on a hot day etc. 

In SL you can sell even a bullock cart if it has the 'Toyota' badge in it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GK_007 said:

Dont know who does these reviews in Ela***, whoever it is it just lists the same features like how the ac can cool the cabin on a hot day etc. 

It's more of a walkaround than a review, and a good one at that - their camera work is excellent and they cover the whole car, save for the undercarriage.

It's too early to properly "review" the Raize anyway, let's give it a year or two so owners can post ownership reviews based on their experience of using it under Sri Lankan driving conditions

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kush said:

Kia Stonic @ Rs. 4.95 Mn. starting with agent warranty for 5 years 150K Km. looks pretty decent if you can get away from "Toyota" badge and perceived "Made in Japan" mentality.

Kia's have improved in quality over the years. One of the biggest selling points for KIA in Europe is their massive warranty - they provide a 7 year warranty in some countries. With the trend of downsized turbo engines  powering almost everything and given their complexity, a 5-year warranty from the agent sounds tempting over a grey-import. 

3 hours ago, matroska said:

Kia's have improved in quality over the years. One of the biggest selling points for KIA in Europe is their massive warranty - they provide a 7 year warranty in some countries. With the trend of downsized turbo engines  powering almost everything and given their complexity, a 5-year warranty from the agent sounds tempting over a grey-import. 

Yes..they have improved immensely. Considering the unethical practices of the grey importers and the junk that comes in to the country....any warranty from the agent is always better than any grey import/

I used a Picanto for 2 years, ran 35000 km and have no complains on their service. 

Had only one issue with the throttle body which was replaced under warranty. They said it can be serviced / repaired but advised to replace with no cost what so ever.   

4 hours ago, kush said:

I used a Picanto for 2 years, ran 35000 km and have no complains on their service. 

Had only one issue with the throttle body which was replaced under warranty. They said it can be serviced / repaired but advised to replace with no cost what so ever.   

Yeah, my wife is also using Picanto since 2017. Service is OK but recently we had  problems when making  appointments on Saturdays in Kurunegala service station. If there is only one appointment, they reject it and ask to come in a week day. This is a big problem when they have only two service centers in Colombo and Kurunegala. We both do not have time to to visit Colombo or Kurnegala only to service this basic vehicle. They should appoint authorized service agents around the country if they want to become a mainstream brand in Sri Lanka. As I remember they have appointed Automiraj as authorized service partner earlier but now they do not have this partnership.

Last time, I said I don't have time to come to Kurunegala in a weekday only for the service and demanded at least do the oil change in Saturday and they agreed. So did the oil change, air filter and cabin air filter and stamped the warranty book.

1 hour ago, tbird said:

Yeah, my wife is also using Picanto since 2017. Service is OK but recently we had  problems when making  appointments on Saturdays in Kurunegala service station. If there is only one appointment, they reject it and ask to come in a week day. This is a big problem when they have only two service centers in Colombo and Kurunegala. We both do not have time to to visit Colombo or Kurnegala only to service this basic vehicle. They should appoint authorized service agents around the country if they want to become a mainstream brand in Sri Lanka. As I remember they have appointed Automiraj as authorized service partner earlier but now they do not have this partnership.

Last time, I said I don't have time to come to Kurunegala in a weekday only for the service and demanded at least do the oil change in Saturday and they agreed. So did the oil change, air filter and cabin air filter and stamped the warranty book.

Yes that can be a pain for owners outside Colombo