• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hole in the seat cover

firstgear

Question

11 answers to this question

7 hours ago, firstgear said:

A hole appeared in my seat cover this evening. 

What could be the reason? 
And what is the treatment? 

TIA. 

1D2512A7-B8B1-41BA-9C8C-3365874F70AD.jpeg

If its just 1 weeks, highly likely that it has been there all throughout but you just noticed ? 

9 hours ago, firstgear said:

A hole appeared in my seat cover this evening. 

What could be the reason? 
And what is the treatment? 

TIA. 

1D2512A7-B8B1-41BA-9C8C-3365874F70AD.jpeg

Most probably your dealer covered it up with something when he sold the car to you. Eventually whatever it was covered with, got removed and you started seeing it. 

Some dealers use shoe polish to cover up scratches in black plastic. Some use permanent marker ink. In this case it could even be a small piece of wiring tape. The possibilities are endless. 

2 hours ago, GK_007 said:

If its just 1 weeks, highly likely that it has been there all throughout but you just noticed ? 

44 minutes ago, kush said:

Most likely a cigarette burn that was there when you purchased the car.

12 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

Most probably your dealer covered it up with something when he sold the car to you. Eventually whatever it was covered with, got removed and you started seeing it. 

Some dealers use shoe polish to cover up scratches in black plastic. Some use permanent marker ink. In this case it could even be a small piece of wiring tape. The possibilities are endless. 

Makes sense. 

any treatment or solution? ?

12 minutes ago, firstgear said:

Makes sense. 

any treatment or solution? ?

Yes...just live with it :)

How big is it ? If you take it to a GOOD upholstery shop they will glue and fill it up with cloth fiber/dust of the same color. This however does wear off with time depending on how harshly you use the seat and where exactly the patch is done.

A more extreme measure would be to get the entire material replaced. To do this you will have to find a scrapped seat of the same color or find the exact material. Both of which are hard to do.

Thirdly...live with it....seems like it is is small enough...you bought a used car so these things are to be expected (only exception would be if you buy a brand new car). Get a set of good car seat covers if you rally cannot turn a blind eye towards it.  

2 minutes ago, iRage said:

Yes...just live with it :)

How big is it ? If you take it to a GOOD upholstery shop they will glue and fill it up with cloth fiber/dust of the same color. This however does wear off with time depending on how harshly you use the seat and where exactly the patch is done.

A more extreme measure would be to get the entire material replaced. To do this you will have to find a scrapped seat of the same color or find the exact material. Both of which are hard to do.

Thirdly...live with it....seems like it is is small enough...you bought a used car so these things are to be expected (only exception would be if you buy a brand new car). Get a set of good car seat covers if you rally cannot turn a blind eye towards it.  

Thanks. I’ll first try upholstery shop. 

second I’ll try putting seat covers. 

is it safe to put covers when the seat has airbags? (swift rs) 

29 minutes ago, firstgear said:

Thanks. I’ll first try upholstery shop. 

second I’ll try putting seat covers. 

is it safe to put covers when the seat has airbags? (swift rs) 

oh..no....not standard seat covers....there are seat covers that have the deployment areas open or just curtained...but do not put the normal slip on type sea covers.

• Like 1

That looks like a pinhole, is it not? Diameter or about 1mm?

If I were you, I'd not bother with seat covers. If you can't live with it or think that it might get bigger, take it to an upholsterer and maybe they'll patch it up. 

There are also repair kits out there (try eBay) which you can buy and DIY. They're basically a glue and small specks of fabric (like a powder) which you cover the hole with. 

• Like 1