• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advise: 5W30 and 10W30

amsandun

Hi all,

I put my car to service today at Sterling Kadawatha and it's my first time there. When the supervisor asked me what oil was used earlier, I told Toyota 10W30 as that's what had in my mind. Mileage is 29K. He said it should be 5w30 according to the mileage and since 10w30 has been used earlier it is not possible to put 5w30 now. So they went ahead with 10w30.

Only a while ago I called the previous place where I serviced and asked what they used. To my horror, he said he put Toyota 5W30. I called back the Sterling and informed but they have already finished the oil change. He said that won't be a much of a problem though. So nothing to worry.

My question is, Is it ok to put 10w30 at this mileage? Can I or Is it wise to change to 5w30 in the next change?

Through posts here in AL, I have realized that in SL, 5 or 10 will not matter so much. But due to my fault, I am concerned.

Please share your opinions.

44 minutes ago, amsandun said:

Hi, It's a Vitz 2016, I don't have a manual. I only hope this won't be a problem in the future. 

Do not worry too much on this you can use either. Important is to change on time

Edited by kush
  • Thanks 1

Hi amsandun,

1st number of the lubricant indicate how it's flowing when it's cold and 2nd number showing how it's flowing when it's hot.

Since Sri Lanka is a tropical country 1st letter 5 and 10 won't make much of a difference so don't worry too much.

Happy motoring

regards,

JC.

• Like 1