• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Journey with Aqua Gs

Prime

Thank you iRage. I saw in vedios that initial part is bit complicated. Will update how it goes. 1st place is H####d h##. They explained reason for 3 cans. They bleed all 4 lines while refilling with new oil, till new oil drains out through each line. Dont know wat TL does. 

Thank you@Hyaenidae I ll check on that as well.

11 hours ago, Prime said:

Thank you iRage. I saw in vedios that initial part is bit complicated. Will update how it goes. 1st place is H####d h##. They explained reason for 3 cans. They bleed all 4 lines while refilling with new oil, till new oil drains out through each line. Dont know wat TL does. 

TL is infinitely better than H-hub. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Prime said:

Uhh....yeah...everyone bleeds all four lines for a brake oil swap :) 

Sometimes they use the manual method and sometimes they use a pressure bleeder (which is what Toyota Japan used on the Corolla wagon). Some bleeders might require you to fill the pressure bleeders tank up to a certain level because of wierd tank design (I am convinced the bleeder at my local service station in Vietnam where I get my car wash waste about 100ml of fluid at the end because it simply does not get picked up...we had a few bleeders like that at our vehicle depot in one of our missions). I think for the Corolla wagon the bleeder filled with 1L of fluid (because they used the large bulk bottle which is 1L) and then about 1/3rd of it was left in the pressure bleeder (maybe a bit less ?).  Some places do it manually (two person method) and even them sometimes they might empty the reservoir first, top it up and then bleed out the fluid whilst topping it up and repeat for each wheel. Some people first bleed out the old fluid through the wheels, then top it up, and then repeat at each wheel. The manual methods might consume a bit more.  Also, sometimes the garage might bleed out extra just to make sure everything gets flushed out and consume more fluid.

Like I said..typically a standard car would have anything from 500 - 750ml of brake fluid .....something like the RAV4 anything from about 900ml to about 1.2L. So you cannot determine how much you should bottle just by the absolute amount of fluid that the brake system has

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Prime said:

I thought of doing a break fluid change. Before going for it I want to know how much fluid aqua requires and is it different to other petrol cars? I inquired from one service place who claimed that for the complete bleeding they require 3 bottles of Toyota break fluid (DOT 3) which cost around 8600. I cant remember spending that amount for the previous cars I had. Then I inquired from TL and they said cost is around 4000. Please shed some light on this matter. 

I got it done for my Aqua (YOM - 2014) from a reputed place (not from TL) last Sunday (15th). They used one 1 L bottle (consumed all) probably Lockheed brand. I cant remember the exact cost (guess Rs. 1,600 for BF and Rs. 2,000 for labor) and will check and confirm later. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gayanath said:

I got it done for my Aqua (YOM - 2014) from a reputed place (not from TL) last Sunday (15th). They used one 1 L bottle (consumed all) probably Lockheed brand. I cant remember the exact cost (guess Rs. 1,600 for BF and Rs. 2,000 for labor) and will check and confirm later. 

So two of the 500ml bottles or the large bulk bottle. Probably consumed all because of the bleed...so out of the 1L probably 600-700ml stayed in the car and a part of it had to be bled out. The quantity required would depend on how the bleeding itself is done :) 

FYI: Brake fluid usually does not come in extremely large bottles because it is hard to keep so garages do not want to buy large barrels/bottles of it..when playing around with brake fluid be careful not to get it on the paint or metal..it just strips it off...also...brake fluid absorbs moisture...so do not keep brake fluid open for a long time :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

TL is infinitely better than H-hub. 

Yes. I used to go to TL when I had premio. But later they took significant time to return the car from service. Some days I had to wait till 5.45 -6 pm with proper appointment. Of course bill had to be settled by 5 - 5.15. For this I ll go to TL. Other place exaggerates things I guess. 

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Uhh....yeah...everyone bleeds all four lines for a brake oil swap :) 

Sometimes they use the manual method and sometimes they use a pressure bleeder (which is what Toyota Japan used on the Corolla wagon). Some bleeders might require you to fill the pressure bleeders tank up to a certain level because of wierd tank design (I am convinced the bleeder at my local service station in Vietnam where I get my car wash waste about 100ml of fluid at the end because it simply does not get picked up...we had a few bleeders like that at our vehicle depot in one of our missions). I think for the Corolla wagon the bleeder filled with 1L of fluid (because they used the large bulk bottle which is 1L) and then about 1/3rd of it was left in the pressure bleeder (maybe a bit less ?).  Some places do it manually (two person method) and even them sometimes they might empty the reservoir first, top it up and then bleed out the fluid whilst topping it up and repeat for each wheel. Some people first bleed out the old fluid through the wheels, then top it up, and then repeat at each wheel. The manual methods might consume a bit more.  Also, sometimes the garage might bleed out extra just to make sure everything gets flushed out and consume more fluid.

Like I said..typically a standard car would have anything from 500 - 750ml of brake fluid .....something like the RAV4 anything from about 900ml to about 1.2L. So you cannot determine how much you should bottle just by the absolute amount of fluid that the brake system has

I think they do it manually. 1.5 l seems to be unrealistic. They claimed at least 3 bottles, which may go up if there r blocks. Will stick with TL. I dont want to go to a makabass as well coz initial ECU activation seems to be bit complex (at least to me). 

Thank yo @iRage for your great explanation as usual. 

Thank you @gayanath. TL claimed similar cost with BF. And place is close by. How frequently do yo do BF change on ur aqua? 

3 hours ago, Prime said:

Thank you @gayanath. TL claimed similar cost with BF. And place is close by. How frequently do yo do BF change on ur aqua? 

Honestly, this is my first BF replacement (5 years, 78,000 km), but do not follow me because it should be done more earlier than this.  

Prius C Warranty and Maintenance guide not says the duration clearly (though Aqua Japanese manual says it, but I cant remember - probably 2 or 3 years). Lexus CT200h 2014 warranty and Service guide says, replace 30,000 mile (45,000 km) or 3 years whichever comes first. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gayanath said:

Honestly, this is my first BF replacement (5 years, 78,000 km), but do not follow me because it should be done more earlier than this.  

Prius C Warranty and Maintenance guide not says the duration clearly (though Aqua Japanese manual says it, but I cant remember - probably 2 or 3 years). Lexus CT200h 2014 warranty and Service guide says, replace 30,000 mile (45,000 km) or 3 years whichever comes first. 

I don't think the Japanese user manual gives intervals for BF replacement. However, shaken inspection now does a blanket brake fluid replacement so it gets changed every two years....but typically the change is required between a 2 - 4 year period. As mentioned before..brake fluid is quite harsh..has a tendency to absorb water and brake down any impurities that it would come across and absorb that. So any dust, sediments at the nipples (which gets a lot of dust and sediments) will get broken down and then absorbed in to to the fluid. Therefore, it is not a matter of miles but more a matter of how the car is used and the time. So I would say...plan on replacing it every 2-3 years.

Similar to radiator coolant actually...that gets swapped during the shaken inspection every 4 years (i.e. every other inspection). Radiator coolant should be flushed every 4 years but if the car is older it might require a shorter cycle because of impurities that would get in to the coolant.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, iRage said:

I don't think the Japanese user manual gives intervals for BF replacement. However, shaken inspection now does a blanket brake fluid replacement so it gets changed every two years....but typically the change is required between a 2 - 4 year period.

Found it. Got it from "Maintenance Note". For BF, it says first replacement should be at 3 years and then for every 2 years. 

** for personal vehicles they assume annual average millage as 10,000 km. (Am I right? Hope you are very good in Japanese than my google translate ??)  

1878002859_ToyotaBFReplacement.thumb.jpg.5e0c8306e20af562b846a60bdacb87f7.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gayanath said:

Found it. Got it from "Maintenance Note". For BF, it says first replacement should be at 3 years and then for every 2 years. 

** for personal vehicles they assume annual average millage as 10,000 km. (Am I right? Hope you are very good in Japanese than my google translate ??)  

1878002859_ToyotaBFReplacement.thumb.jpg.5e0c8306e20af562b846a60bdacb87f7.jpg

Yes.....since that is a JDM spec maintenance plan...the initial 3 years is there because JDM brand new cars do not require a shaken inspection for 3 years and within that 3 years the fluids get checked by the manufacturer on an inspect and replace if required basis anyway. After the first three years...all cars require a shaken inspection every 2 years and the BF change is a blanket change every   2 years. Now....if you look at export model manuals, you will notice that the BF replacement ranges from 2 - 4 years depending on the car. My Fortuner requires inspection every 10,000km and replacement every 40,000km (so roughtly 3-4 years).

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2

Thank you @gayanath & @iRage for that info.

Today I went for BF change at TL. on inquiry they said recommended mileage for BF change is every 40000km. Didn't give a recommended duration. But I think it's better to change at 2-4 year interval at least. 

I didn't see anything at all. So cannot comment on procedure. They have used 2 bottles of break fluid (354ml ×2) for which cost was Rs. 3499. Labour charge was Rs. 2646. On the bill they have mentioned 'break fluid change using tester'. I didn't ask about method as I cant observe the procedure. Price is still less than that was quoted by hy... hu..

Not about BF change. But here's a photo of exhausts. 

IMG-5c4cd230270760997b49ef6b51831a85-V.jpg

11 hours ago, Prime said:

Thank you @gayanath & @iRage for that info.

Today I went for BF change at TL. on inquiry they said recommended mileage for BF change is every 40000km. Didn't give a recommended duration. But I think it's better to change at 2-4 year interval at least. 

I didn't see anything at all. So cannot comment on procedure. They have used 2 bottles of break fluid (354ml ×2) for which cost was Rs. 3499. Labour charge was Rs. 2646. On the bill they have mentioned 'break fluid change using tester'. I didn't ask about method as I cant observe the procedure. Price is still less than that was quoted by hy... hu..

Not about BF change. But here's a photo of exhausts. 

IMG-5c4cd230270760997b49ef6b51831a85-V.jpg

Could be....for most export model Toyotas the manual suggests 40,000km...so they might be going with what was given for the Prius C.

Uhh.....okay....so ? exhaust piping ....and ?