• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice on First Car for 6M Budget

Crossword

Question

I am an absolute newbie and could really use advise from experts on these matters. I am looking to buy a 1000cc petrol hatchback/small SUV which can carry 5 family members and I normally drive about 500 - 700km per month. Occasionally, about once or twice a month, I would have to make a return trip to Kandy from Colombo as well. Safety is one of my top priorities as well as comfort. I can spend up to 6 - 6.2 million and prefer a brand new vehicle.

What I have considered so far:

• MG ZS - low NCAP rating and I saw pictures of some very bad accidents in Katunayaka and Homagama.
  • Hyundai Venue - Only 2 airbags in the highest variant.
  • Toyota Raize - Seems to have good safety options as standard on G and Z grades, but too early to say if it is a good vehicle since it was launched very recently.
  • Audi A1(2019) - Seems okay, but don't feel like I would be getting value for money? Also since it is a European vehicle, I have heard people say it has a high maintenance cost.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. It does not have to be one of the vehicles I have mentioned above. Since I am trying to buy my 1st vehicle, any advise is much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Crossword said:

I am an absolute newbie and could really use advise from experts on these matters. I am looking to buy a 1000cc petrol hatchback/small SUV which can carry 5 family members and I normally drive about 500 - 700km per month. Occasionally, about once or twice a month, I would have to make a return trip to Kandy from Colombo as well. Safety is one of my top priorities as well as comfort. I can spend up to 6 - 6.2 million and prefer a brand new vehicle.

• MG ZS - low NCAP rating and I saw pictures of some very bad accidents in Katunayaka and Homagama.
  • Toyota Raize - Seems to have good safety options as standard on G and Z grades, but too early to say if it is a good vehicle since it was launched very recently.
  • Audi A1(2019) - Seems okay, but don't feel like I would be getting value for money? Also since it is a European vehicle, I have heard people say it has a high maintenance cost.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. It does not have to be one of the vehicles I have mentioned above. Since I am trying to buy my 1st vehicle, any advise is much appreciated!

For the above budget you could look some other alternatives like:

• Suzuki Swift RS Turbo (hatch)
  • Honda Civic 1000CC (hatch) (real life ownership review by our member)
  • Suzuki Vitara (owner review by our member)
  • Kia Stonic 1000CC
Edited by Dee Jay
links to reviews
  • Like 3

Well...if you are okay with a hatchback-cross over...go for the Raize....it gets the job done. Good use of space and apparently quite an easy car to drive in traffic..but a bit of a strain to drive on long distances on the highway. If you want a crossover slightly larger..then go for a Vitara (alternatives to the Vitara would be a CHR or Vezel but those might be out of your budget range)

As for sedans and hatchbacks....

I do not like the 1L Civic....so I won't comment on that...although Hondas in general are rather engaging cars to drive. 

The new Corolla sedan is an option as well (if you are okay with a MT). Not sure how much the Mazda 3 is...

The new Yaris will be released in February if you can wait that long but you need to place the orders now...The New Fit will be released later in 2020.

A guy has 6mn and his car options are small hatchbacks,  mini suvs. What times we are living in. ? 

If I had 6mn I would not go for half/quarter of a car for the sake of being 'Unregistered',  'Peace of Mind'. 

Just my personal thought that I dont think its right spending anything above 3mn for a small hatchback/Kei. What a waste of money,  be it any car its a pile of metal and plastic. 

So IMO, in very simple sense I would go for more material for the price I pay. 

Around that range you have many second hand options with more metal and plastic and leather may be e.g. 2014/15 Mazda 3/Axela, CRV 12/13,  Kia Sportage 2012/2013,  Audi A4 2011/12, If you can stretch the budget just slightly Mazda 6 2014/15. Mitsubishi Asx, prev gen xtrail, Hyundai Santa Fe 2012/13. 

If you absolutely need a BN one,  I would vote for the new 1L Civic / CHR. (Have to spend bit more than 6mn)

But its up to you, just my 2 cents. :)

Edited by GK_007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can go for Ford Focus sedan from the agent. It should be around 6.0M. you can take 5 people in it. It is the 1l turbo mode. The car has 6 air bags and 5 stars in Euro NCAP. It is made in Germany. I own 2018 model. It is a heavy car and handling is great. It has 125BHP and 170NM torque which is greater than the common Allions and Premios and a fun car to drive, specially in corners.

I also drive regular trips to Kandy-Colombo-Kandy, it is very comfortable.

Fuel economy is 9-10 kmpl in city (This is quite normal to all 1l turbo cars in SL)

I usually get around 13 km/l for KND-CMB-KND trips, In highway it works around 18 km/l (Kottawa to Matara)

Maintenance cost from the agent is around 26000/-, This is including engine oil and oil filter. It requires 4.5l premium synthetic oil and it costs around 14500/- which is the major cost factor. I think you need to spend same amount for the engine oil if you select Honda Civic 1l or similar 1l turbo car.

Kundasale auto services is an authorized service place but I usually take it to the agent for the services.

It is a very uncommon car so definitely an head-turner.

They have a cross-over called Ford Eco Sport, which has the same engine and gear box but I think it is made in India.

Edited by tbird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Dee Jay said:

For the above budget you could look some other alternatives like:

• Suzuki Swift RS Turbo (hatch)
  • Honda Civic 1000CC (hatch) (real life ownership review by our member)
  • Suzuki Vitara (owner review by our member)
  • Kia Stonic 1000CC

Thank you very much! Stonic was something I hadn't even heard of. I will read the reviews as well.

• Like 1

@iRage Thank you very much for your valuable input!

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...if you are okay with a hatchback-cross over...go for the Raize....it gets the job done. Good use of space and apparently quite an easy car to drive in traffic..but a bit of a strain to drive on long distances on the highway.

Could you please tell me why it would be a strain to drive on long distances and highways?

According to the brochure published by Toyota, Raize's highest grade comes with Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist. I thought that would make it easier to drive on highways.

4 hours ago, iRage said:

As for sedans and hatchbacks....

I do not like the 1L Civic....so I won't comment on that...although Hondas in general are rather engaging cars to drive. 

The new Corolla sedan is an option as well (if you are okay with a MT). Not sure how much the Mazda 3 is...

The new Yaris will be released in February if you can wait that long but you need to place the orders now...The New Fit will be released later in 2020. 

I don't have anything against sedans, it's just that as I said, I am a newbie, so I think a smaller car would suit me right now since they are usually easier to drive. I will research about the Yaris too.

Thank you again!

1 hour ago, GK_007 said:

A guy has 6mn and his car options are small hatchbacks,  mini suvs. What times we are living in. ? 

Hey, it seems you skipped over the very first sentence on my post where I mentioned "I am an absolute newbie". I wasn't trying to be modest by saying that, I really am a newbie. ☺️

1 hour ago, GK_007 said:

If I had 6mn I would not go for half/quarter of a car for the sake of being 'Unregistered',  'Peace of Mind'. 

Just my personal thought that I dont think its right spending anything above 3mn for a small hatchback/Kei. What a waste of money,  be it any car its a pile of metal and plastic. 

Around that range you have many second hand options with more metal and plastic and leather may be e.g. 2014/15 Mazda 3/Axela, CRV 12/13,  Kia Sportage 2012/2013,  Audi A4 2011/12, If you can stretch the budget just slightly Mazda 6 2014/15. Mitsubishi Asx, prev gen xtrail, Hyundai Santa Fe 2012/13. 

If you absolutely need a BN one,  I would vote for the new 1L Civic / CHR. (Have to spend bit more than 6mn)

But its up to you, just my 2 cents.

The reason I want to by a new one is due to the same reason; since I don't have much knowledge about cars, I am a little hesitant about going though the process of buying a used car and the problems that I would encounter during the time I own the car. Also I think it would be easier to drive a smaller car rather than a comparatively larger one(again for the same reason). For someone who knows their way around a car, the options you mention would be great, I presume, because I have heard the same argument prior to this as well.

1 hour ago, GK_007 said:

Around that range you have many second hand options with more metal and plastic and leather

I will take it under advisement as you make a valid point. Thank you very much for the valuable response!

4 hours ago, Crossword said:
6 hours ago, GK_007 said:

Hey, it seems you skipped over the very first sentence on my post where I mentioned "I am an absolute newbie". I wasn't trying to be modest by saying that, I really am a newbie. ☺️

Its nothing wrong about you,  :)its about the crazy taxing and pricing we have here for BN vehicles.

Edited by GK_007
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Crossword said:

Could you please tell me why it would be a strain to drive on long distances and highways?

According to the brochure published by Toyota, Raize's highest grade comes with Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist. I thought that would make it easier to drive on highways.

I don't have anything against sedans, it's just that as I said, I am a newbie, so I think a smaller car would suit me right now since they are usually easier to drive. I will research about the Yaris too.

Thank you again!

According to Japanese test drive reviews..the small engine that runs a bit high on revs at high speed makes the car feel very "hard working" when doing it for a long period of time. Engine size (and type, inline-4, v6) has a lot to do with at what point the engine just restfully cruises at speed....

The weight of a car has a lot to do with how much road fatigue you feel. Heavier cars are well grounded and there is less road vibrations and body sway that gets transferred to th cabin compared to a lighter vehicle.

Almost all JDM vehicles come with ACC and LKA at least in one of every model's grade (only a very few cars these do not offer it as an option). Auto braking is pretty much standard because of government regulation in Japan....other active driver aids are supposed to become standard in JDM cars over the next 2 - 3 years. So yes....in 2-3 years time all cars being sold in Japan need to have auto braking and other auto/active driver aide systems because of the aging population

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Crossword said:

Thank you again!

Adaptive cruise control works fine on highway. LKA will struggle with you when you are not on highway due to narrow lanes (roads), even in highway it keeps too close to the fence for comfort so it is bit of a pain. Auto brake is another pain it will some times brake in intersections the moment a 3 wheeler is seen. You will not be able creep in intersections with is necessary evil when driving in SL.

Safety / convenience features useful in SL context would be ABS/ as may airbags as possible (including curtain), traction control, cruise control, parking sensors, 360 cameras, good horn.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Crossword said:

Out of these vehicles the Audi A1 would not be comfortable for 5 people on long trips. The back seat is relatively small.

As for the safety features such as auto break, in a country like SL where road discipline ins almost non existent, you'd want to have complete control when driving. So I wouldn't put much weight on software features and would rather focus on physical safety features i.e. number of airbags. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crossword said:

The reason I want to by a new one is due to the same reason; since I don't have much knowledge about cars, I am a little hesitant about going though the process of buying a used car and the problems that I would encounter during the time I own the car. Also I think it would be easier to drive a smaller car rather than a comparatively larger one(again for the same reason). For someone who knows their way around a car, the options you mention would be great, I presume, because I have heard the same argument prior to this as well.

I can asure you that a properly maintained 15 year old japanese car will be better than a MG zs. The jap will have less trouble than the MG and it will be easyer to maintain by a newbie as it can be maintained at any garage.

Dont go for small engined audis they burn oil.

And if you think these small turbo engines ar economical they are not. A conventional 1.5L will do better on fuel. And they need to be kept at high revs to get the power so will wear oit quickly.

The hyundai venue and raize are ok if you are hell bent on brand new. But you should understand that you will be subjected to a huge depresiation. 

If i were you, for that budget the options would be

2012 Kia sorento a newer Kia Sportage or Hyundai Tucson. Audi A4 2012, bmw 320d 2012. And the list goes on.

Safety wise consider the worlds safest bike beimg run over by a lorry. The NCAPs all measure impacts with same size vehicles so if they hit a larger vehicle you will see some stars but thats not for the safety rating. Overall the big the bulkyer the safer. Honestly because of this our family only uses suvs as we need to protect ourselves from bus drivers

These cars will be easyier to maintain. Cheaper to run and will last longer than those small engined turbos. In the new cars although the warrenty is there the company will rip you off whenever possible. And the second hand cars will hold a much better value come resale time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

Safety wise consider the worlds safest bike beimg run over by a lorry. The NCAPs all measure impacts with same size vehicles so if they hit a larger vehicle you will see some stars but thats not for the safety rating. Overall the big the bulkyer the safer. Honestly because of this our family only uses suvs as we need to protect ourselves from bus drivers

Uhh...no...myth of the 90s...

59 minutes ago, Clark'sson said:

Some times back a pajero without even airbags hit head on with a layland lomg distance bus and the driver and passenger were trough wothout a scratch.

Try that in a audi or volvo car with million airbags 

Problem in SL is that the buses and Lorries have no safety measures at all, all regulations are towards cars. It is about time the government ban importation of them which lacks basic crumple zones.

Safety is not only for the occupant but for other uses as well. So the morons who drive like maniacs in their Tata/ Pajero/ Prado should also think that there are poor souls in Wagon R or a biker / cyclist.

Audi or a Volvo not only protect the occupants but occupants in the other vehicle as well.

But I have to agree on the SUV as that it the only way not to get run over by a truck or a bus.

1 hour ago, Clark'sson said:

Some times back a pajero without even airbags hit head on with a layland lomg distance bus and the driver and passenger were trough wothout a scratch.

Try that in a audi or volvo car with million airbags 

Not a good measure....then one can also say a Land Rover Defender hit a bus and got flattened like a pancake.

There are kei cars that are actually safer than SUVs....its about the design of the frame and the passive safety devices that are complementing it.

In your example the issue is not with the car being less safer than a SUV...it is more about the buses and the trucks in SL being a safety threat because they all use the same high laying body on steel frame design with no safety barricading around it. Now..if a car or SUV hits these things what it hits is a whole load of soft aluminium sheeting and then a rock solid chunk of steel (i.e. from nothing to absorb the impact and rescue the speed of impact to wham..hit the steel block). In the case of a car...what happens most often is that the car goes UNDERNEATH the truck/bus and then the major blunt of the steel block is taken by the roof (which is a relatively weak component in any car).

In modern buses and trucks in other countries, they put a lot of speed and impact breaking bars around the steel chassis/ladder and in the case of buses, the chassis is low laying (not 3 feet off the ground like in our buses). 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, iRage said:

Not a good measure....then one can also say a Land Rover Defender hit a bus and got flattened like a pancake.

There are kei cars that are actually safer than SUVs....its about the design of the frame and the passive safety devices that are complementing it.

In your example the issue is not with the car being less safer than a SUV...it is more about the buses and the trucks in SL being a safety threat because they all use the same high laying body on steel frame design with no safety barricading around it. Now..if a car or SUV hits these things what it hits is a whole load of soft aluminium sheeting and then a rock solid chunk of steel (i.e. from nothing to absorb the impact and rescue the speed of impact to wham..hit the steel block). In the case of a car...what happens most often is that the car goes UNDERNEATH the truck/bus and then the major blunt of the steel block is taken by the roof (which is a relatively weak component in any car).

In modern buses and trucks in other countries, they put a lot of speed and impact breaking bars around the steel chassis/ladder and in the case of buses, the chassis is low laying (not 3 feet off the ground like in our buses). 

Till that type of buses and lorrys come to sri lanka and buses are driven by non drug consuming sane drivers we would have to use some hefty vehicle to save ourselves. 

And my concept the big the bulkier the better stands till that day.

And NCAP ratings are only for vehicles of the same size

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iRage said:

This explains one of the MG accidents I saw. If I remember correct, it hit a bus near Pannipitiya and its A-pillar and the roof was crushed!

19 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

I can asure you that a properly maintained 15 year old japanese car will be better than a MG zs. The jap will have less trouble than the MG and it will be easyer to maintain by a newbie as it can be maintained at any garage.

Something I have heard so often and an interesting point! That is one reason I am leaning towards a Japanese vehicle since Sri Lankans seem to have a preference towards them. Thank you for your detailed comment!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

Till that type of buses and lorrys come to sri lanka and buses are driven by non drug consuming sane drivers we would have to use some hefty vehicle to save ourselves. 

And my concept the big the bulkier the better stands till that day.

And NCAP ratings are only for vehicles of the same size

Nope....still does not make sense....being in a bulkier vehicle does not mean that the dynamics of an impact is always going to make it safer. It all depends on the impact itself.  It all depends on the accident itself..how fast each vehicle was being driven, weight of the vehicles at time of impact, angle of impact, etc...people die in big bulky cars all the time and even in cars that are deemed the most . In fact a bulkier vehicle with its heavy weight travelling at a certain speed will and can hit some thing at much greater force/energy than a smaller car. So no matter what you drive...if you hit one of those things at a certain speed your car ins going to get squashed like watermelon. The materials used for SUVs are not that much different from what is used for sedans. You just get more of it. Also, older SUVS are notorious for poor stability (modern ones with all its electronics have to work doubly hard to keep those things up straight).I know this because I have had everything from Pajeros to Prados to full sized land cruisers to Hilux pickups and have also seen them squash up like tin cans. So larger vehicles being safer still remains a myth of the 90s and 2000s no matter what (can't change laws of physics).  

The sad truth is...No matter what you drive or whether you walk or drive; we as Sri Lankans need to accept the fact that we are always at very high risks every time we get on the road because of moronic decisions that are being taken for the country.

• Like 1

Princes D died in the world safest car at the time. How many of us wear seat belts in the back seat.

I have seen people caring their children in the lap on the front seat in so claimed safer SUVs, what if the bag goes off.

You will be safe only as long as you look after your self giving allowances to the morons who might come on head on at 100 kmpl in the next blind corner and do not drive with the pretext that you are invincible your two ton SUV.

• Like 2