• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyotoa Vitz Airbag ribbon Replacment

Optimus3000

Help Needed: two days back i noticed that airbag symbol is indicated red in dashboard & today car horn didn't work.when scanned by the technician he found that Airbag ribbon is faulty & need to be replaced.At toyota lanka its around 60,000Rs.Please suggest me a place to buy a genuine reconditioned clock spiral(with angle sensor) for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance

Info: Toyota vitz 2016 KSP 130 steering wheel with multi-function

• Optimus3000 changed the title to Toyotoa Vitz Airbag ribbon Replacment

Mods please feel free to remove this if it's against forum guidelines but i really have to say this.

Why did you buy a car if you cannot afford to replace small components like an airbag clock spring. Live within your means man.

Also check Taiyo at mount they may have.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, kadsa98 said:

Mods please feel free to remove this if it's against forum guidelines but i really have to say this.

Why did you buy a car if you cannot afford to replace small components like an airbag clock spring. Live within your means man.

Thank you for the comment buddy.The Point i would like to highlight is certain things in toyota lanka are over priced.I'll comply with mods decision whether to delete or not.You may drive a bentley,but mind you most of the people in this country are in middle class.Spending 60,000Rs for a depreciating asset is not worthy while Japanese recondition parts are available.Mark my words Buddy,Never look down upon another person who is in trouble as what goes around will be coming around at one day or other.

• Like 2

@Optimus3000....I merged you two threads...

10 hours ago, kadsa98 said:

Well..to be fair..he is not saying that he cannot maintain it due to funds....but wouldn't you agree that the ribbon for 60,000 is a bit excessive and its best to look for alternatives before jumping into it ?

To be fair....our RAV4 needed the spiral cable replacement. It was to be replaced under a recall, which my dad did not know and ended up paying. He did not get the OEM one because it looked cheap and questionable apparently, so went to Toyota Lanka and paid nearly 40,000LKR for the entire job out of which 7000ish was for labor ? So the cable alone was 30,000ish (at the time the cable was 12500yen in Japan and and exchange rate was about 1.35ish ? so TL's margin was nearly 100% (it was a non multifunction steering wheel)

In this case..looking at the parts catalog...the spiral is 12960yen and the spiral with sensors (for multi-function) was 25,350yen. SO at the current exchange rate that comes to about 42,000. So if the labor was 7500....we are looking at 50Kish in cost plus a 10K markup by Toyota (there is a reason for this which you cannot blame them for either and is the consequence of having the market flooded with cheap OEM parts)

• Like 1

my toyota airbag ECU was replaced at toyota lanka due to a recall last week(free of charge). The person who handled my documentation said that they have list of chassis no.s sent to them some of which are 121s and they cannot find the current owners . So please give your chassis no and check with them whether you are eligible for a free replacement

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Optimus3000 said:

Help Needed: two days back i noticed that airbag symbol is indicated red in dashboard & today car horn didn't work.when scanned by the technician he found that Airbag ribbon is faulty & need to be replaced.At toyota lanka its around 60,000Rs.Please suggest me a place to buy a genuine reconditioned clock spiral(with angle sensor) for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance

Info: Toyota vitz 2016 KSP 130 steering wheel with multi-function

Aha multifunction steering, do you have a 6 speaker sound system? Tweeters on the A pillar?

coz multifunction was specced only on  6 speaker model 

Or else it’s a retrofit

if so most likely the sale or importer you got it from has fitted it locally from an audio joint which includes a ribbon / spiral swap

the kit was sold for low as 8500 with labor, some ribbons costing only 1500lkr I was told. They last like 3000 km and then start indicating whatnot, 

its a way cheap one they swap, 100s of them, have broken down now In the market, you can ask your importer for the original one

or else bear the cost and get the one with multifunction or even revert back to non multifunction and the ribbon will be cheaper I guess. 

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

@iRage Oh yes I very much do agree! certain parts from Toyota Lanka are over priced however you pay a premium for a reason. A guarantee that what you pay for is the genuine article. Also I faced a similar situation regarding the clock spring in an Allion I had and it cost me I think around Rs.40,000 at TL back in 2017.

@Optimus3000 haha machan I drive a 19yo beater. Was considering an A3 recently but when taking into fact insurance, Out of warranty repairs, accidents, component failures (DCT clutches cost well over Rs.350,000 and need replacement before 50,000km usually in SL conditions) and routine maintenance I realized it was way better to purchase a much cheaper car (In my case a VW Bora), bring it up to decent condition and run it to death ?. I don't have to worry about my car anymore and have plenty of room in my budget for unexpected maintenance.

Also spending Rs.60,000 on a vital safety component of your car from might I add the established Toyota 'experts' in SL seems like a good Idea to me.

@Prangi   Thank you for the advice.i tried various places over the phone & unfortunately non of them got any compatible clock spirals especially with angle sensor.

@iRage Thank you for sharing your experience.

@sam2000  its was not purchased from toyota lanka but from a car sale.######## Japanese car exporter has given a warranty card but it doesn't cover electrical equipment failures

@tiv   Toyota Vitz F Led 2016.It got only 4 speakers.Before purchasing i checked the car with toyota lanka & they said everything is ok.i still got that car check report which i got before purchase.my mileage is 31,000km & I'm surprised why i got airbag ribbon issue  at this mileage with meticulous maintenance.when the technician showed me the damaged clock spiral "Assembled in china" was mentioned in that part.I'm also skeptical whether the car sale guys have fitted a counterfeit clock spiral to deceive it as a multi function steering wheel for buyers

Thank you.Automotive technology is not my expertise & i really appreciate all your inputs to figure this out.

20191211_195938-1.jpg

20191211_200104-1.jpg

20191211_200117-1.jpg

25 minutes ago, Optimus3000 said:

@Prangi   Thank you for the advice.i tried various places over the phone & unfortunately non of them got any compatible clock spirals especially with angle sensor.

@iRage Thank you for sharing your experience.

@sam2000  its was not purchased from toyota lanka but from a car sale.######## Japanese car exporter has given a warranty card but it doesn't cover electrical equipment failures

@tiv   Toyota Vitz F Led 2016.It got only 4 speakers.Before purchasing i checked the car with toyota lanka & they said everything is ok.i still got that car check report which i got before purchase.my mileage is 31,000km & I'm surprised why i got airbag ribbon issue  at this mileage with meticulous maintenance.when the technician showed me the damaged clock spiral "Assembled in china" was mentioned in that part.I'm also skeptical whether the car sale guys have fitted a counterfeit clock spiral to deceive it as a multi function steering wheel for buyers

Thank you.Automotive technology is not my expertise & i really appreciate all your inputs to figure this out.

20191211_195938-1.jpg

20191211_200104-1.jpg

20191211_200117-1.jpg

They do it as a harmless upgrade but as you know the genuine parts cross 60k and this 10k at the most, so they ask a popular car audio joint to do the fix. Big time installers; do even 100 cars a day, 

Theres no way the car came with the 4 speaker trim and the multifunction wheel.

Go check the vitz fb club, so many stories of these ribbons popping nothing new. 

There are sellers separately selling the oem multifunction kit plus pillar speakers for a true conversion costing over 60k again 

• Like 1

@tiv what do you think the best option for the time being as horn is not working & airbag malfunction indicator is always on?

1.Go ahead with clock spiral module without multi function from toyota lanka?

2.Go ahead with mutifunction enabled clock spiral from toyota lanka though I'm not using those multifunction keys much?

2.Go ahead with a Japanese recondition OEM clock spiral(multi function enabled) which is quite difficult to find in auto parts stores nowadays?

3.contacting  the car sale guys from whom i bought it one & half years ago as they have done a retrofit

I would say go to drlkanda or some used parts shops and see if you can find the entire setup from a scrapped car. 

Also, there are independent parts suppliers and reputed shops who bring down parts from Japan on order. Check with them too. It might take time with them though. 

If all else fails then I would suggest get the original from Toyota Lanka. I would not trust the chinese ones as most chinese parts in SL are of poor quality. or go with the chinese one until you can get an original down through a friend or someone from Japan or Singapore or some place. It probably is a Toyota universal part so you might want to check for used parts from other cars too. 

Also there might be Toyota thailand parts as well 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iRage said:

I would say go to drlkanda or some used parts shops and see if you can find the entire setup from a scrapped car. 

Also, there are independent parts suppliers and reputed shops who bring down parts from Japan on order. Check with them too. It might take time with them though. 

If all else fails then I would suggest get the original from Toyota Lanka. I would not trust the chinese ones as most chinese parts in SL are of poor quality. or go with the chinese one until you can get an original down through a friend or someone from Japan or Singapore or some place. It probably is a Toyota universal part so you might want to check for used parts from other cars too. 

Also there might be Toyota thailand parts as well 

Thanks a bunch

Now since you have the button pad, might as well invest on it and get the multifunction ribbon. Find the part no and get it online or recon 

• Like 1