• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Swift boosterjet vs Lancer Ex

firstgear

Can we say Swift 1litre boosterjet is more powerful than 1.5l Lancer Ex? ?? (I haven’t driven either so far)

Coz when I checked the specs Swift has an edge (109bhp  and 170nm torque vs 109bhp and 143nm torque in the lancer) 

On top of this Swift is about 300kg  lighter. 

I still don’t understand why 2008 Lancer Ex is going same price range as 2017 Swift Rs. ?

I haven't driven a swift - merely been in one so I don't quite know how it drives but theoretically it should have more pull than the Lancer. 

The price...well the EX has a bit of a following and is a popular car hence the higher re-sale and yes it is a sedan so Sri Lankans love it. Practically though  if you want to do a bit of driving on some dirt/tracks the EX will be up for it ( ask @Hyaenidae)  and it's less complicated so it will just keep running and running.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

NANI?!??! Debris dorifto??

Whether you got a turbo or NA..it doesn't matter at the moment when a dog, debris or a threewheeler jumps in the middle of a corner here in SL (like 11:30). Sad but true :(

@matroska why is srilanka still so obsessed with the less practical sedan when manufacturers are phasing them out for crossovers?

Also, when the question said "swift boosterjet" , I thought he was trying to buy the 1.4 boosterjet sport. 

Edited by □AVANTE□
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, matroska said:

The price...well the EX has a bit of a following and is a popular car hence the higher re-sale and yes it is a sedan so Sri Lankans love it. Practically though  if you want to do a bit of driving on some dirt/tracks the EX will be up for it ( ask @Hyaenidae)  and it's less complicated so it will just keep running and running.

^ This

The Lancer has the reliability of a 121 (tried and tested 4cyl NA engine, conventional auto transmission, HPS, etc) - it's as practical as a crossover with its 165mm ground clearance (Swift - 120mm) and the 5m turning radius (Swift 2017 - 4.8m despite being smaller), reasonably comfortable and fits 5 people and their luggage with space to spare, it looks better, (subjective, I know, ) has loads of potential for customization, both mechanically and cosmetically, it's a unique and rarely seen car in SL even if you keep it bone stock.

tl:dr - It's the perfect all-rounder for Sri Lankan roads, driving pleasure is the icing on the cake - corners like its on rails, has the acceleration when you demand it, driving experience of a Lancer is many things but boring it is not.

Edited by Hyaenidae

Uhh....well...they are also different classes of cars....Why does a 8 year old Lexus LS cost more than a new CHR ?

Manufacturers are not voluntarily going away from sedans. Its the people. In Japan people who are buying cars are families and they want space and more utility...so crossovers and MPVs became popular (apart from kei cars...even kei cars..the ones that have space and more utility are more popular than the hatches).

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, firstgear said:

Coz when I checked the specs Swift has an edge (109bhp  and 170nm torque vs 109bhp and 143nm torque in the lancer) 

Actually Swift 1.0 Boosterjet version only has 102 PS and 150 nm of torque

Edited by jmzsl

21 minutes ago, jmzsl said:

Actually Swift 1.0 Boosterjet version only has 102 PS and 150 nm of torque

I don't think so. Do you have a reference?

I took the reference from here:

https://www.stcars.sg/singapore-car/cars/suzuki-swift-6542/specification

PS: Please note I mentioned in BHP and you mentioned in PS.

Edited by firstgear

Just now, firstgear said:

I don't think so. Do you have a reference?

I took the reference from here:

https://www.stcars.sg/singapore-car/cars/suzuki-swift-6542/specification

You're importing the japanese spec, right?

https://www.suzuki.co.jp/car/swift/detail/spec_rst.html

Engine : K10C Turbo

Maximum power output : 102PS

Maximum torque output : 150Nm

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, firstgear said:

Okey..

In general, with regards to Japanese vehicles, which is considered better? JDM or Export variant?

Depends on the vehicle, can't generalize...

It seems some export variants of the Swift are tuned differently than the JDM one - hence the difference in power and torque (I guess)

When it comes to the Lancer the export version had entirely different engine options - ranging from 1.5L to 2.4L.

In SL only 1.5L and 1.6L versions were offered brand-new by the authorized agent, 1.6L version has slightly higher specs than you mentioned (117PS and 154Nm)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

driving experience of a Lancer is many things but boring it is not.

Americans be like: "What is this pleasure that you speak of?"

Felt sad seeing a video of a 2.4L Lancer GT by RegularCarReviews and they just laugh about it and say "it's good enough for everyday use" and kill it like that. Also, has anyone done a Lancer Evo X conversion yet here in lanka or is it too expensive that no one considers it?

@firstgear congrats on your upcoming ride! The swift is suzuki's best hatchback, or else how come they be selling it for 2 decades with so much success. It has both racing & cargills shopping pedigree. So, Happy motoring! 

Edited by □AVANTE□
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Americans be like: "What is this pleasure that you speak of?"

Felt sad seeing a video of a 2.4L Lancer GT by RegularCarReviews and they just laugh about it and say "it's good enough for everyday use" and kill it like that. Also, has anyone done a Lancer Evo X conversion yet here in lanka or is it too expensive that no one considers it?

@firstgear congrats on your upcoming ride! The swift is suzuki's best hatchback, or else how come they be selling it for 2 decades with so much success. It has both racing & cargills shopping pedigree. So, Happy motoring! 

From what I gathered from their reviews the GT offered in US was ruined by its CVT. Comparing it with the Evo is just cruel ?

But they do have fun with their non-Evo Lancers, check these out:

7:00 - 7:15 :D

A chap from UNIMO once said they came across a 4B11T transplanted EX, I've never seen one though. I'd like to drop a 2L 4B11 and a manual tranny to a 1.5L and keep it as a fun daily runner someday, it's a bolt-on upgrade.

Edited by Hyaenidae
Videos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

From what I gathered from their reviews the GT offered in US was ruined by its CVT. Comparing it with the Evo is just cruel ?

But they do have fun with their non-Evo Lancers, check these out:

7:00 - 7:15 :D

A chap from UNIMO once said they came across a 4B11T transplanted EX, I've never seen one though. I'd like to drop a 2L 4B11 and a manual tranny to a 1.5L and keep it as a fun daily runner someday, it's a bolt-on upgrade.

that number plate, AyyGirl?

Satisfying to see that driving..and a touge!??!? By an american?!?!? In a lancer??!? Sweet!

So you are telling me, there is an EX out there with an Evo heart beating under the hood and I wouldn't recognize? Also, Keep those hopes firm and high!

Sometimes when I'm bored, I'd wonder how awesome it would be if I could put an M16 Sport engine, Upgraded gearbox, Exedy clutch, Remus Exhaust, K&N Intake, maybe a turbo? ECU tune from PlatinumAuto and just run the bad boy around with 150-200 hp and just 1000kg to haul! Run around economically too when required. Overall sleeper, would be kicking Altezzas, Minis & Starlet GTs and leaving them in the dust!

Then there is the black Darth Vader Swift Sport roaming around Colombo with 250hp (turbocharged M16) :0

No limits for dreaming eh?

Edited by □AVANTE□

• 1 month later...

Lancer EX was sold in numbers because it was offered 6 months before the Toyota Corolla 141 when the permits were reissued in 2007.

This was the only available Sedan Option which was available in numbers (Civic FD had a 20 units per month quota and the waiting list was over 6 months.

Permits had a brand new policy so no Allions/ Premios

Few were bought for the looks / none for performance as it was a pretty average vehicle.

I've had a 2008 1.5L EX and a 2007 1.2L Swift (with a CVT) Swift was more fun to drive. EX was more comfortable

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kush said:

Lancer EX was sold in numbers because it was offered 6 months before the Toyota Corolla 141 when the permits were reissued in 2007.

This was the only available Sedan Option which was available in numbers (Civic FD had a 20 units per month quota and the waiting list was over 6 months.

Ahh, so that's why Lancer EXs weren't imported post-2007 ?