• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer EX Running Repairs and Maintenance

trinity

3 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

When I inquired on the stabilizer bars from Unimo they also mentioned that arm bushes can be bought separately. They did not have them at stock and didn’t quote a price. So I didn’t bother. The stabilizer bars that I bought were from a Chinese brand called “Frotis”

Mitsubishi is one of the very few Japanese brands to do this in that case. They seem to be doing a lot with parts (like having the budget line and standard lines). Probably has a lot to do with the Thai production base and the markets they reach to. I just checked the parts catalog for the Galant Fortis and that part number is not shown on the diagrams...it shows as s eperate part going in to the arm but braketed as one whole unit for the part number. So maybe for them it has to do something with the market as well ? For example, when labor costs are about 4000-5000 yen per hour at a dealership on average....I suppose it makes no sense to sell it seperately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

I just checked the parts catalog for the Galant Fortis and that part number is not shown on the diagrams...it shows as s eperate part going in to the arm but braketed as one whole unit for the part number.

The Official Mitsubishi After-sales application for the global market, (linked below) when searched with my VIN, doesn't have it either, that's how I missed it. However, online sources have it listed (linked below)

(https://cat.ilcats.ru/mitsubishi/?function=getParts&market=general&model=B806Y107A&modification=CY1A&complectation=-&group=33&subgroup=050&startDate=20140401&endDate=20140401&pid=231&language=en)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Mitsubishi is one of the very few Japanese brands to do this in that case

It makes perfect business sense right? Majority of the customers including myself would not want to spend a thumping amount on the entire arm assembly when the bush can be bought separately and fitted with ease.

4 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

I stand corrected. Can't belive I missed it in the catalogue ? since the ASX and the Lancer EX shares the same suspension this part should work for the Lancer too. What was the brand you bought? 555?

Chinese brand called “Frotise”

http://www.frotise.com

It seems they are very specific to suspension components

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

It makes perfect business sense right? Majority of the customers including myself would not want to spend a thumping amount on the entire arm assembly when the bush can be bought separately and fitted with ease.

I suppose..but it also makes sense why the separate bushing is not sold. As I mentioned earlier..the claim is that the entire arm will last as long as the part that came with the vehicle when brand new....typically these have a service life of 8-10 years. In most cases the pressed bushings I have seen have lasted only 4 to 5 years. But then one can also argue that if you buy and use the car only for 4-5 years..why bother putting on a part that last 8-10 years purely for the next owner's benefit :D (especially if it has no effect on the depreciation of the car and what you can ultimately sell it off for) 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Well it sounds easy enough on paper

gicrR3B.png

As long as you heed the warnings and precautions that is

TozS9iq.png

Thanks. I have been loosing the brightness lately. I believe lancer OEM HID comes with D2S-35w 4300k. I am thinking of upgrading to 5000k.

32 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Thanks. I have been loosing the brightness lately. I believe lancer OEM HID comes with D2S-35w 4300k. I am thinking of upgrading to 5000k.

In that case, the holy workshop manual dictates that you should take a "Luminous Intensity Measurement".

j6WJF03.png

HIDs are complicated asf to troubleshoot it seems

97l0Htr.png

mLgp2gL.png

9 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to DIY to Change the bulb of the HID OEM headlight or do I really have to take the car to the Agent to do so as stated in Manual? @Davy @Hyaenidae @trinity

It's no different than changing a regular bulb mate. Just make sure you have the lights turned off because the circuit after the ballast is high voltage. And don't touch the glass part of the bulb when installing. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 8:29 PM, trinity said:

Continued from last post.

So I gladly took that offer. They wanted the chassis number of the car (which I had with me) to be sent with the measurements of the CV joint to the supplier. Finally they found the part and informed that price of a one is Rs.15k and its not HDK as well. Didn't have any other option but to buy them, so ordered two. After few hours I had the parts.

It's Chinese I guess, and imported from Dubai. 

IMG_1416.thumb.JPG.a1743ff48604103a7227f80b89d51efd.JPGIMG_1417.thumb.JPG.95a794dcf91d1303719f69b93455b967.JPGIMG_1418.thumb.JPG.b446a0e512091ea69b000ad1d31fa403.JPGIMG_1420.thumb.JPG.6d99ffcd9de668e41965d1a4fdd373a2.JPGIMG_1422.thumb.JPG.c88d50afac8f306bf465d902db8f571b.JPGIMG_1423.thumb.JPG.549c80312144be191f4c772e3ffe46aa.JPG

It's a complete kit, The CV joint, Boot, Grease and boot tightening metallic straps. 

Quality wise it didn't seem bad and the boot was also much better. Its a rubber boot though. The genuine one is not rubber.

Remember you Lancer EX owners, if this happened to you, the number of grooves in the CV joint are as follows.

Outer - 28

Inner - 30

The important thing is that it is not possible to count the inner number of grooves of the existing CV joint without cutting it open. Once that is done, there is no turning back obviously.

So, to remove the CV joint, first part that is holding the ball bearings have to be cut open and the bearings should be removed one by one. Once that is done, the outer cup can be removed. Thereafter you have to carefully cut the part that is fixed to the axel without harming the axel. This is a very delicate job. One mistake, you have to replace the entire axel. This took some time to do. 

Finally all came out and the new part went in without any trouble.

Installed the left CV first and started the right one, surprise, surprise... that boot is not broken. It was some oil and dust which had given the looks of a broken boot. So we greased it and fixed it back. All in all this should have been a few hours job but extended up to 6 in the evening due to the issues stated above. 

The labour cost was Rs.5k.

Now everything is ok. I'm in two minds whether to return the spare CV joint or keep it with me for future use if needed. 

Have to get the alignment done now. Thats it.

So gents, I hope you'll learn from my mistakes if the need comes. Do share your thoughts.

Cheers!

How is the joint now? Any updates?

I'm asking this because, I got the same CV grease for my CIVIC's inner CV joint. For inner CV joints we need a special grease (kind of cream, more to liquid side rather than normal sticky grease).

It's hard to find a good grease from here now. All they have are Sri Lankan made greases which are sticky; I used this last time and CV joint got damage within few KM's.

old1.thumb.jpg.16dbc76f022f895637a6b4118620ef2f.jpg

Found a reconditioned CV joint even without a worn mark lol. All these because of the quality of grease.

new1.thumb.jpg.e5d83c040261f0a9e8ab34c76434ebea.jpg

Ua42bcfac99364f669b155a40a5face206.jpg_640x640.jpg.9de5247e06ab4d320d0fc11aa4e18d57.jpg

new1.jpg

Just a quick update on replacing wiper blades: Got the original NWB wipers replaced with Bosch ECO graphite-coated wipers about a month back. 

Couldn't find originals from the agent so went with the cheapest alternative, Rs.1500/= for both wipers. It remains to be seen how long these would last. Made in China.

These have a different locking mechanism (but holds just fine) and a touch longer than original wiper blades but did a surprisingly good job so far.

Passenger side takes a 18 inch blade and the driver side takes a 24 inch blade.

HMamkCe.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

Couldn't find originals from the agent so went with the cheapest alternative, Rs.1500/= for both wipers. It remains to be seen how long these would last. Made in China.

These have a different locking mechanism (but holds just fine) and a touch longer than original wiper blades but did a surprisingly good job so far.

I replaced mine at the last service. Wurth-21' for the passenger side and 24' for the driver. Bit expensive though. Rs. 3971/=for both. Looks like yours a good deal.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 8:33 PM, K.o.N.o.S said:

I replaced mine at the last service. Wurth-21' for the passenger side and 24' for the driver. Bit expensive though. Rs. 3971/=for both. Looks like yours a good deal.

Wow, why so big? Original OEM wiper blades are 425mm (16.7") on the passenger side and 600mm (23.6") on the drivers side. Had to go for 18"s for the passenger side because that's the smallest they had in stock

EpvjlnY.png

It's quite a tight fit even for the 18" blade

WUzF3vr.png

Edited by Hyaenidae

On 9/9/2020 at 6:31 AM, TG10E24 said:

How is the joint now? Any updates?

I'm asking this because, I got the same CV grease for my CIVIC's inner CV joint. For inner CV joints we need a special grease (kind of cream, more to liquid side rather than normal sticky grease).

It's hard to find a good grease from here now. All they have are Sri Lankan made greases which are sticky; I used this last time and CV joint got damage within few KM's.

old1.thumb.jpg.16dbc76f022f895637a6b4118620ef2f.jpg

Found a reconditioned CV joint even without a worn mark lol. All these because of the quality of grease.

new1.thumb.jpg.e5d83c040261f0a9e8ab34c76434ebea.jpg

Ua42bcfac99364f669b155a40a5face206.jpg_640x640.jpg.9de5247e06ab4d320d0fc11aa4e18d57.jpg

new1.jpg

Hi, Sorry for the late reply, The CV is fine and no complaints so far. I doubt it'll give any issues in future as well.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 7:17 PM, Hyaenidae said:

Just a quick update on replacing wiper blades: Got the original NWB wipers replaced with Bosch ECO graphite-coated wipers about a month back. 

HMamkCe.jpg

I've used these on my previous Lancer and had a very pleasant experience. Wipes clean and lasts long.

Couldn't find these around my area lately.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 8:33 PM, K.o.N.o.S said:

What??? doenst the blades touch each other?? I mean, my car has 18 & 24 and the gap is about an inch similar to Hy***dae.

6.Front Brake Pad Replacement

Previous owner of the car had changed the brake pads at 94,000kms in 2017. This has been done at the agent and back then they've charged Rs.16,580/- for the pad set and Rs.1,443/- as labour.

After almost 60,000 kms (58,900kms to be exact) I decided to change the brake pads as they were worn out pretty bad and I had a trip planned to visit Nuwara Eliya. Got it done last Friday at Unit#d Mot#rs - Orugodawatte.

The prices are as follows,

Brake Pads - Rs.18,810/64

Labour,Lathe & Vat - Rs.4,444/64

So the prices of parts have increased about Rs.2,200/- and Labour about Rs.600/- for three years.

They recommended to replace two caliper pins and brake shims soon as they've worn out. Gonna talk to my mechanic about it later.

Found out that lower arm bushes are kaput and arm links too needs to be replaced. 

My tires barely has thread. Needs to replace them as well. f**k me side ways!!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trinity said:

Found out that lower arm bushes are kaput and arm links too needs to be replaced.

Replaced mine couple of months back.

9 hours ago, trinity said:

had a trip planned to visit Nuwara Eliya

if you ever take the route via Gampola and if you see a deep blue lancer then you know what to do right.?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Replaced mine couple of months back.

if you ever take the route via Gampola and if you see a deep blue lancer then you know what to do right.?

Ha ha yes , I very well know what to do.. Anyways, had to ditch the Lancer for the trip as I couldn’t replace the tires on time. Figured it’s not that safe to drive the car there as the condition of the tires are not suited to a trip like that. 

Instead drove this baby. 

D4CDEDA7-1F20-43B3-B134-6DE511341B0A.thumb.jpeg.bb3f7c53373ac904a3cfff1341bd146e.jpeg

This one belongs to one of the friends who joined the trip with us.He ran the shotgun and let me drive the entire trip.  Would’ve enjoyed the Lancer much over the ASX cuz SUVs don’t handle bends well. 

Anyways I’m planning to first do the suspension repair and then replace the tires now. Otherwise I’m gonna have to align the wheels twice. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, trinity said:

Anyways I’m planning to first do the suspension repair and then replace the tires now. Otherwise I’m gonna have to align the wheels twice.

I am guessing you are going to do the suspension repair at your local mechanic. Cause if you try to do this @agent you will go nuts after hearing their prices (for both arm link stabilizers they quoted 30k).

1 hour ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

I am guessing you are going to do the suspension repair at your local mechanic. Cause if you try to do this @agent you will go nuts after hearing their prices (for both arm link stabilizers they quoted 30k).

Yes machang, gonna get it done with my guy. Thinking of importing the original bushes & source the link stabilizers locally. 

No point in going to agent for these things.