• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer EX Running Repairs and Maintenance

trinity

9 hours ago, trinity said:

True to a certain extent, but we don’t need a shiny car with an engine bay completely covered with layers of dust now do we?

Ah,.. well,

6hmy7qS.png

On the plus side, the coolant reservoir tank is clean(er) now! You can see if the coolant is discolored without even removing the cap, that little blue bit is coolant. 

LRemOAc.png

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

Ah,.. well,

6hmy7qS.png

@Hyaenidae looks like the engine bay could use a clean up. I usually vacuum clean the bay. Luckily my engine cover is large enough so that it covers a wide area

5FE08806-9809-441A-96EB-A7802ADE188F.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

@Hyaenidae looks like the engine bay could use a clean up. I usually vacuum clean the bay. Luckily my engine cover is large enough so that it covers a wide area

5FE08806-9809-441A-96EB-A7802ADE188F.jpeg

How come your air vent have a rubber hose? I don't have that. Where does it lead?

5rwtQHP.png

Edited by Hyaenidae

12 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Ah,.. well,

6hmy7qS.png

On the plus side, the coolant reservoir tank is clean(er) now! You can see if the coolant is discolored without even removing the cap, that little blue bit is coolant. 

LRemOAc.png

Man that looks like an engine bay of a barn fine. At least use compressed air to remove that dirt. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

How come your air vent have a rubber hose? I don't have that. Where does it lead?

It leads to no man’s land. ?? can you guess where does it lead to?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trinity said:

Ha ha on the plus side, you have few additional horses ? than me at your disposal... 

And some more torque, plus a slightly different exhaust

8K6tUBH.png

15 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

It leads to no man’s land. ?? can you guess where does it lead to?

I'd guess nowhere, it just hangs out? 

I thought it's a quirk of the 4A91 engine but Trinity's 4A91 doesn't have it. It doesn't even have a part number

609YGZx.png

4jclNLT.png

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/15/2020 at 11:01 AM, Hyaenidae said:

One of my strut boots is in tatters. Mitsubishi, you should work on the quality of your rubber! it only lasted 5 years!

But to be fair the roads I travel on are quite bad since there are considerably long stretches of road still under construction.

PAdkHfp.png

A pair of strut boots costs Rs. 7400/- at the agent, can order a pair online for Rs. 4k -5.5k. Gonna go the online route obviously. Will keep you guys updated.

Edit: Ordered a set from amayama.com

On 4/22/2020 at 9:55 AM, Hyaenidae said:

Look at that booty! 

E8Ts6e2.png

No taxes, delivered to the doorstep 

I thought I had posted a follow-up to this before I posted about the coolant change but apparently I haven't; so here goes:

The before:

gxF74eg.png

And after:

riQWtar.png

Here's how it's done, this is the best video I could find which describes the process.

It took about 2.5-3 hours for two technicians to replace both boots at the agent:

Cost breakdown:

Parts:

2 x Shock boots (OEM part number: 4060A532, FEBEST part number: MSHBCU20F, sourced from amayama.com)

Rs. 5040.00

Labour w/tax @ the authorized agent:

Rs. 5960.00

Wheel alignment check:

Rs. 1200.00

Total  Cost:

Rs. 12,200

Remarks:

This wouldn't be a necessary repair if your shock absorbers are nearing the end of their life expectancy (about 100k I reckon) decided to get it done because I'm yet to hit half of that mileage and to avoid the risk of premature failure caused by dust/debris getting inside.

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

I thought I had posted a follow-up to this before I posted about the coolant change but apparently I haven't; so here goes:

The before:

gxF74eg.png

And after:

riQWtar.png

Here's how it's done, this is the best video I could find which describes the process.

It took about 2.5-3 hours for two technicians to replace both boots at the agent:

Cost breakdown:

Parts:

2 x Shock boots (OEM part number: 4060A532, FEBEST part number: MSHBCU20F, sourced from amayama.com)

Rs. 5040.00

Rs. 5960.00

Wheel alignment check:

Rs. 1200.00

Total  Cost:

Rs. 12,200

Remarks:

This wouldn't be a necessary repair if your shock absorbers are nearing the end of their life expectancy (about 100k I reckon) decided to get it done because I'm yet to hit half of that mileage and to avoid the risk of premature failure caused by dust/debris getting inside.

Nice.. I am curious to know the price of the genuine strut boot at the agent

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

The before:

gxF74eg.png

And after:

riQWtar.png

Cost breakdown:

Parts:

Rs. 5040.00

Rs. 5960.00

Wheel alignment check:

Rs. 1200.00

Total  Cost:

Rs. 12,200

Remarks:

Surprised to hear that agent worked with parts bought from outside. How did you manage that with them? 

12 minutes ago, trinity said:

Surprised to hear that agent worked with parts bought from outside. How did you manage that with them? 

Well they did mention that I brought the part from elsewhere in the bill

NJqNfVr.png

Apart from that there were no complications. UNIMO rocks! 10/10 will use their service again

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been hearing a rattling noise from the left side of the steering and I checked with my trusted mechanic who confirmed that the voice is definitely from the Rack end.Needless to say I was not fully convinced at his conclusion and we decided to tear the suspension apart and investigate further. In the meantime I checked with unimo who quoted 26k for both rack ends. (Hmmm bit exorbitant).

Upon further checking the suspension it was noticed that Left lower control arm bush was tattered in half and there were tons of play on left link stabilizer bar. both my self and the mechanic were surprised to learn that both rack ends and tie Rod ends were in very good condition and there was no play whatsoever.

Just out of curiosity I checked the prices of stabilizer bars with Unimo and they quoted 30k for both stabilizers. (Seriously unimo?) I didn’t even bother to check the lower arm bushing prices. Time to hunt for parts.  I roamed around Kandy and went for a place recommended by a fellow civic owner. This place is called Auto traders (they are suspension experts and Famously known as "dunu kade" in Kandy) both link stabilizers were available there and quoted 3400 for both. even the exact bushes were available with them and they did the re bushing for both left and right lower arms. I got the parts back to the garage and the Job was done. Ride is pretty much smooth now. However I could still hear a bit of a noise from the steering when I am on uneven roads. As per my mechanic’s advice I am going to revisit the steering rack and probably do some re-bushing and re-greasing which I will be doing in the coming weeks. Oh and finally wheel alignment was done.

Cost Breakdown.

• Link Stabilizer bars (2) = Rs 3380.00
  • Arm Bushes (2) =Rs 3500.00
  • Service charge (for Re bushing)= Rs 300.00
  • Service charge ( for Garage)=Rs 2000.00
  • Wheel alignment- Rs 1500.00

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

So I have been hearing a rattling noise from the left side of the steering and I checked with my trusted mechanic who confirmed that the voice is definitely from the Rack end.Needless to say I was not fully convinced at his conclusion and we decided to tear the suspension apart and investigate further. In the meantime I checked with unimo who quoted 26k for both rack ends. (Hmmm bit exorbitant).

Upon further checking the suspension it was noticed that Left lower control arm bush was tattered in half and there were tons of play on left link stabilizer bar. both my self and the mechanic were surprised to learn that both rack ends and tie Rod ends were in very good condition and there was no play whatsoever.

Just out of curiosity I checked the prices of stabilizer bars with Unimo and they quoted 30k for both stabilizers. (Seriously unimo?) I didn’t even bother to check the lower arm bushing prices. Time to hunt for parts.  I roamed around Kandy and went for a place recommended by a fellow civic owner. This place is called Auto traders (they are suspension experts and Famously known as "dunu kade" in Kandy) both link stabilizers were available there and quoted 3400 for both. even the exact bushes were available with them and they did the re bushing for both left and right lower arms. I got the parts back to the garage and the Job was done. Ride is pretty much smooth now. However I could still hear a bit of a noise from the steering when I am on uneven roads. As per my mechanic’s advice I am going to revisit the steering rack and probably do some re-bushing and re-greasing which I will be doing in the coming weeks. Oh and finally wheel alignment was done.

Cost Breakdown.

• Link Stabilizer bars (2) = Rs 3380.00
  • Arm Bushes (2) =Rs 3500.00
  • Service charge (for Re bushing)= Rs 300.00
  • Service charge ( for Garage)=Rs 2000.00
  • Wheel alignment- Rs 1500.00

IMG_2200.JPG

Does Mitsubishi sell just the bushing ? Most manufacturers do not sell just the bushing (for most of their cars) and you have to buy the entire arm. The reasoning is that rebushing simply does not last that long even with the manufacturer replacement part. As for stab links being 30K....In Japan a link for a Galant Fortis part cost a bit over 4500yen (each) last year. It is interesting that the part is literally 100% more (considering it comes from Thailand, in bulk and even with shipping...that is a pretty hefty markup). Are the links you bought any known brand ? If i remember the 555 ones were in the mid 3000yen range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Does Mitsubishi sell just the bushing ? Most manufacturers do not sell just the bushing (for most of their cars) and you have to buy the entire arm. The reasoning is that rebushing simply does not last that long even with the manufacturer replacement part. As for stab links being 30K....In Japan a link for a Galant Fortis part cost a bit over 4500yen (each) last year. It is interesting that the part is literally 100% more (considering it comes from Thailand, in bulk and even with shipping...that is a pretty hefty markup). Are the links you bought any known brand ? If i remember the 555 ones were in the mid 3000yen range.

They don't, you have to buy the whole arm assembly (which literally costs an arm compared to re-bushing)

Part number : 4013A429

Costs about 30k w/shipping at amayama.com

The OEM stabilizer link could be bought for Rs. 12k @ amayama.com. 555 brand stabilizer link costs about 5k. (including shipping costs)

Part number : MN101368

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Does Mitsubishi sell just the bushing ?

49 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

They don't, you have to buy the whole arm assembly (which literally costs an arm compared to re-bushing)

When I inquired on the stabilizer bars from Unimo they also mentioned that arm bushes can be bought separately. They did not have them at stock and didn’t quote a price. So I didn’t bother. The stabilizer bars that I bought were from a Chinese brand called “Frotis”

22 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

But the bushing itself doesn't even have a part number, only the arm assembly does ?

What about this?

EB1D4A80-B251-461D-8718-03C20E9F78F3.png

• Like 1