• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer EX Running Repairs and Maintenance

trinity

8 hours ago, trinity said:

I'm unable to watch the video at the office, Will take a look at this when I go home.

There were 2 videos, apparently only one has been linked, just linked the other one. That's how your guy did it right? Taking off the bearings and cutting the part held by a c-clip internally instead of using a slide hammer/ CV joint puller or a hydraulic press.

Edited by Hyaenidae

• 4 weeks later...

5.Rear Brake Cylinder Washer Replacement

After almost 9 years the washers of the rear brake cylinders had busted. I noticed a small reduction of brake oil level and asked the agent to check it while doing the wheel alignment as i know that the issue would be this. And  I was right.

Yesterday got the repair done at Unit#d Mot#rs - Orugodawatte.

Not going to post much details as all info is available in this post made by Hyundai :P . However I was charged Rs.8,358/- for the job> Will check the bill when I get back home and update here.

Edit with the price details

Labor Cost -                                       3,450/-

Cup+Boot Kit  * 2 -                         2,677/78

Mitsubishi Genuine Brake Fluid - 1,611/30

Vat -                                                    619/12

Total -                                               8,358/20

So in comparison to what @Hyaenidae paid, the labor cost is slightly higher but the parts are slightly cheaper. 

They've done a full brake oil flush as well. Wonder why it wasn't done when yours were replaced @Hyaenidae

The price difference is the brake fluid and the vat. 

Edited by trinity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, trinity said:

5.Rear Brake Cylinder Washer Replacement

After almost 9 years the washers of the rear brake cylinders had busted. I noticed a small reduction of brake oil level and asked the agent to check it while doing the wheel alignment as i know that the issue would be this. And  I was right.

Yesterday got the repair done at Unit#d Mot#rs - Orugodawatte.

Not going to post much details as all info is available in this post made by Hyundai :P . However I was charged Rs.8,358/- for the job> Will check the bill when I get back home and update here.

@trinity same is pending for me. A small leak was spotted during the regular service on RR brake cylinder  (However I do not see any brake Oil level drops) . I am still trying to arrange a suitable time to do the repair at UNIMO. Hopefully as soon as possible.

Edited by K.o.N.o.S

46 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

@trinity same is pending for me. A small leak was spotted during the regular service on RR brake cylinder  (However I do not see any brake Oil level drops) . I am still trying to arrange a suitable time to do the repair at UNIMO. Hopefully as soon as possible.

Yeh get it done as soon as possible... I’ve had this experience since my CS days . Quicker you do this you can avoid replacing the entire cylinders which is much expensive..

On 2/20/2020 at 5:12 PM, trinity said:

They've done a full brake oil flush as well. Wonder why it wasn't done when yours were replaced @Hyaenidae

The price difference is the brake fluid and the vat. 

My last full brake fluid flush was done in the previous service (6 months prior to replacing the boot kit) so I guess a flush wasn't necessary

• 3 weeks later...

One of my strut boots is in tatters. Mitsubishi, you should work on the quality of your rubber! it only lasted 5 years!

But to be fair the roads I travel on are quite bad since there are considerably long stretches of road still under construction.

PAdkHfp.png

A pair of strut boots costs Rs. 7400/- at the agent, can order a pair online for Rs. 4k -5.5k. Gonna go the online route obviously. Will keep you guys updated.

Edit: Ordered a set from amayama.com

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Confused 1

On 3/15/2020 at 4:31 PM, Hyaenidae said:

One of my strut boots is in tatters. Mitsubishi, you should work on the quality of your rubber! it only lasted 5 years!

But to be fair the roads I travel on are quite bad since there are considerably long stretches of road still under construction.

PAdkHfp.png

A pair of strut boots costs Rs. 7400/- at the agent, can order a pair online for Rs. 4k -5.5k. Gonna go the online route obviously. Will keep you guys updated.

Maybe it was badly adjusted? If it was an issue in the quality of rubber, I would expect all boots to have similar kind of wear. Is this the left side? 

1 minute ago, Davy said:

Maybe it was badly adjusted? If it was an issue in the quality of rubber, I would expect all boots to have similar kind of wear. Is this the left side? 

Yep, the other side doesn't sag like this one but it has been cracked in the middle too, it separates in multiple places when pulled :( 

On 3/15/2020 at 11:01 AM, Hyaenidae said:

PAdkHfp.png

Genuine ones plus shipping and tax?? That's a fair price.

46 minutes ago, trinity said:

Genuine ones plus shipping and tax?? That's a fair price.

No idea if taxes would be applicable... prices below are with shipping cost

Aliexpress has generic no-brand boot set for $21

Amayama has the OEM boot set for $38 and Febest brand boot set for $28

Partsouq has the Febest boot set for about $30

eBay has Febest and KYB boot sets for about $35-$40

Ordered a Febest set from Amayama for $28 'cause OEM ones didn't last that long for me anyway...

Edited by Hyaenidae

On 3/19/2020 at 6:42 PM, Sir Lancerlot said:

Yep, the other side doesn't sag like this one but it has been cracked in the middle too, it separates in multiple places when pulled :( 

Strange. I wouldn't rule out other things like service stations using harsh chemicals (like kerosene) to wash the undercarriage and wheel wells. Or if you or your regular car wash place use a chemical that degrades rubber.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davy said:

Strange. I wouldn't rule out other things like service stations using harsh chemicals (like kerosene) to wash the undercarriage and wheel wells. Or if you or your regular car wash place use a chemical that degrades rubber.

I can assure that no Kerosene has been used since the car was brand new, I've never let the agent work on the car without me being around

If any harsh chemical has come into contact with the boot it is something RDA uses on roads under construction 'cause I've been daily driving the car on a strip of road under construction... but other rubber parts look and feel perfectly fine, including rear strut boots 

5 hours ago, Davy said:

Why is it strange ? How old is the car ? The usual life span for the boots are about 10 years ? Over time these rubbers do get dried up and that leads to cracks as well....

20 hours ago, iRage said:

Why is it strange ? How old is the car ? The usual life span for the boots are about 10 years ? Over time these rubbers do get dried up and that leads to cracks as well....

18 hours ago, trinity said:

Thats a 5 year old car.

Thought it was strange because I have't heard of the issue on the EX from others who've had early model cars which are now more than 10 years old. Knew that @Hyaenidae's car is a later model (2014 from memory), so this prompted more questions. 

My car, although it has different, stiffer suspension, is a 2011 model and the boots and stuff looked brand new when I swapped them out to switch to coilovers in 2018. Yes Melbourne is a lot less humid than Sri Lanka and the car's undercarriage has never been washed (I do use my pressure washer to wash the wheel wells thoroughly when washing the car), but I believe shock boots last several years before giving way.

Just looking at the photo of the boot again, it looks like your shock is already leaking @Hyaenidae.The inside of the coilspring is darker and has gunk stuck onto the spring due to oil being squirted from the oil seal of the strut. Maybe it's water that's not dried up, but better run your finger around the oil seal to see if there's a leak. 

1 hour ago, Davy said:

Thought it was strange because I have't heard of the issue on the EX from others who've had early model cars which are now more than 10 years old. Knew that @Hyaenidae's car is a later model (2014 from memory), so this prompted more questions. 

My car, although it has different, stiffer suspension, is a 2011 model and the boots and stuff looked brand new when I swapped them out to switch to coilovers in 2018. Yes Melbourne is a lot less humid than Sri Lanka and the car's undercarriage has never been washed (I do use my pressure washer to wash the wheel wells thoroughly when washing the car), but I believe shock boots last several years before giving way.

Just looking at the photo of the boot again, it looks like your shock is already leaking @Hyaenidae.The inside of the coilspring is darker and has gunk stuck onto the spring due to oil being squirted from the oil seal of the strut. Maybe it's water that's not dried up, but better run your finger around the oil seal to see if there's a leak. 

sorry guys I was not active here for a while. I too can agree with @Davy here. When I bought my car the previous owner had the original shocks with him ( which he has put up for sale separately) they were including boots were in great condition. I was itching to buy them but changed my mind eventually. Car was 10 years old (2008 YOM)

6 hours ago, Davy said:

@Davy Both front shocks were checked for leaks by UNIMO when the car was hoisted (picture was taken while hoisted) and there were no leaks... it didn't look darker in person, pic was taken with the camera flash so shade from boot might be causing the inside to look dark

This gunk is what I was talking about, it is something which is being used by RDA. They put this stuff on newly carpeted roads and spray water on it, so after one drive insides of the wheel arch get coated with this stuff. 

dCDoH39.png

The gunk on the strut housing marks the spot where the cracked part of the boot sits when car is on ground so I'm assuming that since the strut itself (the shiny part) is still covered I need not worry about my oil seal going kaput

Edited by Sir Lancerlot

3 hours ago, Sir Lancerlot said:

@Davy Both front shocks were checked for leaks by UNIMO when the car was hoisted (the picture was taken while the car was hoisted) and there were no leaks... it didn't look darker in person, the pic was taken with the camera flash so the shade from boot might be causing the inside to look dark

The gunk is what I was talking about, it is something which is being used by RDA. They put this stuff on newly carpeted roads and spray water on it, so after one drive insides of the wheel arch get coated with the stuff. 

dCDoH39.png

The gunk on the strut housing marks the spot where the cracked part of the boot sits when the car is on the ground so I'm assuming that since the strut itself (the shiny part) is still covered I need not worry about the oil seal going kaput

WTF are you using two profiles??? 

12 minutes ago, trinity said:

WTF are you using two profiles??? 

Yeah hope that's not frowned upon :D

Came up with this totally dope ass username and wanted to have it to myself while having my original profile intact

Edit: besides, it's easier to pronounce so that's an added bonus

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Haha 1