• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer EX Running Repairs and Maintenance

trinity

59 minutes ago, trinity said:

I got it changed. Its stated in this post. It was a fairy easy job. They remove the left side fog lamp and access the oil pan from there to drain out the oil. Thereafter refill from the top. Oil filter was not changed. In fact it was not even discussed. I think it is not required to change the filter or there is a huge time interval to change it. Let me check and update you. I vaguely remember this was discussed at @Sampath Gunasekeras Lancer topic as well.

@trinity could you remember how many ltrs of transmission fluid was used? 

AT fluid filters for quite sometime have been non serviceable items for very high mileages. The metal filter is typically cleaned by magnetizing the unit and dragging out any metal shavings. However, this also means the fluid needs to be changed using one of those machine thingies....It is just that in Sri Lanka the way the fluid was replaced was by actually dismantling the unit from the bottom which means the filter also comes out. Since it is out...it is good practice to replace it if the transmission has seen high miles. 

1 hour ago, trinity said:

Exactly five liters of Mitsubishi  Diaqueen ATF SP3  (Price Rs.8,252.15)

But according to the workshop manual it should be about 9 liters ne

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/lancer_x/online/Service_Manual/2015/23/html/M123100100054400ENG.HTM

@Sampath Gunasekera had mentioned that he bought 10 liters for his CS 

http://autolanka.com/forums/topic/18754-my-new-ride-mistubishi-lancer-cs1-glx-at-yom-2007/?do=findComment&comment=304459

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Just seeing this. I got mine changed at my first service.It was 5 liters for me as well. However user manual states 7.7 liters

1 hour ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Just seeing this. I got mine changed at my first service.It was 5 liters for me as well. However user manual states 7.7 liters

That's the capacity of the transmission. The workshop manual states the same:

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/lancer_x/online/Service_Manual/2015/23/html/M123100040094700ENG.HTM

I guess the additional 1.3 liters is added (and replaced) in order to ensure a complete fluid replacement

Edited by Hyaenidae

6 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

That's for two drains. Drain a total of 5.5L (2L + 3.5L). Then fill 5.5L. Do another drain of 3.5L and fill 3.5L.

Also, although the capacity of the transmission is 7.7L, the required amount of oil for a manual drain and refill is less than that, because not all oil is drained from the transmission. Some of it is left inside. That's why the instructions in the workshop manual takes you through multiple drains and fills. 

The only transmission that has an external oil filter on the CY is probably the twin clutch SST that comes on the RalliArt and Evolution. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Davy said:

That's for two drains. Drain a total of 5.5L (2L + 3.5L). Then fill 5.5L. Do another drain of 3.5L and fill 3.5L.

Also, although the capacity of the transmission is 7.7L, the required amount of oil for a manual drain and refill is less than that, because not all oil is drained from the transmission. Some of it is left inside. That's why the instructions in the workshop manual takes you through multiple drains and fills. 

The only transmission that has an external oil filter on the CY is probably the twin clutch SST that comes on the RalliArt and Evolution. 

Wonder why Unimo doesn't heed the instructions on the workshop manual issued by the manufacturer... that, too, for CY lancers apparently: they performed the fluid replacement as per the instructions on the workshop manual on @Sampath Gunasekera's CS

12 hours ago, iRage said:

It is just that in Sri Lanka the way the fluid was replaced was by actually dismantling the unit from the bottom which means the filter also comes out. Since it is out...it is good practice to replace it if the transmission has seen high miles. 

The oil pan is mounted sideways so dismantling the oil pan from the bottom is impossible ? even if the oil pan is removed sonehow there is no filter underneath: apparantly Mitsu deleted the external filter of these transmissions back in 1999. The internal filter cannot be accessed without removing the torque converter housing.

8 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

The oil pan is mounted sideways so dismantling the oil pan from the bottom is impossible ? even if the oil pan is removed sonehow there is no filter underneath: apparantly Mitsu deleted the external filter of these transmissions back in 1999. The internal filter cannot be accessed without removing the torque converter housing.

Well....these "external" filters have been gone for a long time. They were all internal in a concealed unit irrespective of location. Even if it was on the bottom above the little pan...it was "internal" and did not require replacing until 10 years or something.  Typically a metal mesh in a casing. It is that in the past..because of the positioning of this filter...the filter came out when the bottom pan was removed as the only way we could remove the fluid was by taking off the bottom cover since we did not have the proper equipment for a suction removal (most garages still do not). So people replaced it..and in some cases the manufacturer recommends replacing the filter if it ever comes out (manufacturers recommend even the replacement of washes when a nut and bolt is taken off).

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Well....these "external" filters have been gone for a long time. They were all internal in a concealed unit irrespective of location. Even if it was on the bottom above the little pan...it was "internal" and did not require replacing until 10 years or something.  

Yeah that  "external" filter which Mitsu decided redundant was at the bottom of the oil pan, going by their workshop guides (linked above) 

5 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Yeah that  "external" filter which Mitsu decided redundant was at the bottom of the oil pan, going by their workshop guides (linked above) 

Pretty sure the CVT still has the mesh filter at the bottom of the oil pan which is on the underside of the car and not vertical like the conventional auto. 

53 minutes ago, Davy said:

Pretty sure the CVT still has the mesh filter at the bottom of the oil pan which is on the underside of the car and not vertical like the conventional auto. 

Yeah Mitsu deleted that filter from F4A4 automatic transmissions, CVTs belong to a different series of transmissions

Guys quick clarification, My service is very near and I am planning to put the car to UNIMO for the first time. The issue is that my car has been using Mobil 15W40 engine oil for the last 5 years. UNIMO people are using Valvoline. Will there be an issue if I switch to Val? @Hyaenidae @Davy @trinity

3 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Guys quick clarification, My service is very near and I am planning to put the car to UNIMO for the first time. The issue is that my car has been using Mobil 15W40 engine oil for the last 5 years. UNIMO people are using Valvoline. Will there be an issue if I switch to Val? @Hyaenidae @Davy @trinity

I'm no oil expert but I don't think switching the brand once or twice would cause much of an issue, I've heard doing it often could lead to sludging 'cause different oil manufacturers use different additives even if the specs are similar

Do you have any idea which oil was used before 5 years? what was the reason for the switch to 15W40? I've been using 10W30 (conventional) starting from the first service as per the recommendation of UNIMO, I'm guessing yours was using it too (atleast in the warranty period).

50 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Do you have any idea which oil was used before 5 years?

It was Mobil as well. I am the 3rd owner and The previous owner (Elnino) was reluctant to switch to a different engine oil. So he also has continued with Mobil throughout his ownership.

10 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

It was Mobil as well. I am the 3rd owner and The previous owner (Elnino) was reluctant to switch to a different engine oil. So he also has continued with Mobil throughout his ownership.

I meant the viscosity: since UNIMO recommends 10W30 I'm guessing the first owner used 10W30 instead of 15W40? 

Maybe the first owner switched to 15W40 when he quit getting the car serviced by UNIMO.

It wouldn't matter switching to Val from Mobil but I think it'd be  better if you continue with 15W40 since it has been used for years. I guess UNIMO would suggest you to switch to 10W30 - it's their recommended viscosity for the Lancer

21 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:
34 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

I meant the viscosity: since UNIMO recommends 10W30 I'm guessing the first owner used 10W30 instead of 15W40?

You are correct. May be the first owner stopped regular servicing at UNIMO for some reason. I actually went through the huge file which consists of service records for the last 7 years or so. It was Mobil 15W40 throughout.I Could not find a single regular service record with UNIMO. Of course there were routine maintenance records with them.

Edited by K.o.N.o.S

On 12/30/2019 at 5:52 PM, K.o.N.o.S said:

Hi machang, seeing this now, when I bought my Lancer CS, I didnt know what oil was used and I opted for Mobil first. Then after few years I switched to Valvoline as recommended by the agent and used it until I sold the car. But did not change the viscosity at that time. It was changed to 20W50 from 10W30  when the car reached 120,000kms as  recommended by my mechanic. There was no issue whatsoever with the engine when the car was sold at 225,000kms. 

I'm using Valvoline 10W30 for the Lancer EX now. The car has run 135,000kms and I'm still using the same viscosity as I was told there's no requirement of changing it at this mileage.

I'm no expert but i believe changing from Mobil to Valvoline wont be an issue but you gonna have to be mindful about the viscosity. Better to take agents advise on it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, trinity said:

Hi machang, seeing this now, when I bought my Lancer CS, I didnt know what oil was used and I opted for Mobil first. Then after few years I switched to Valvoline as recommended by the agent and used it until I sold the car. But did not change the viscosity at that time. It was changed to 20W50 from 10W30  when the car reached 120,000kms as  recommended by my mechanic. There was no issue whatsoever with the engine when the car was sold at 225,000kms. 

I'm using Valvoline 10W30 for the Lancer EX now. The car has run 135,000kms and I'm still using the same viscosity as I was told there's no requirement of changing it at this mileage.

I'm no expert but i believe changing from Mobil to Valvoline wont be an issue but you gonna have to be mindful about the viscosity. Better to take agents advise on it.

Thanks for the advice Machan. From what I have learned so far Car has been running with 15W40 for almost 7 years. So I believe changing the viscosity suddenly will create unnecessary issues in the long run(at least in my mind paranoia will kick the best out of me) so yeah let’s see what the UNIMO people has to say

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings gents,

So I got my ABS issue sorted today. It took longer than I expected as the package got caught in the Christmas season rush. Finally the sensor arrived last week and got it fixed at my local mechanic. A very big thanks to @Hyaenidae for finding this sensor online. And also @trinity for your valuable advices as always. If it wasn’t for you guys I would have spent a thumping amount for a tiny sensor. So the timeline of finding the sensor

Unimo- quoted 32k

Place in pitakotte-25k

Place in panadura-15k

Ebay-6k (with shipping)

Finally took a risk and settled with eBay seller for an OEM sensor ( Mitsubishi part no- 4670A576) and have to say that the risk payed off. No more ABS indicators and ABS kicks in as expected. Happy happy..Managed to grab some pics.

D1E11D30-FF1C-4FB1-BA45-D41FB717F51E.jpeg

11AB014C-C648-4630-BA37-DAEFD2E704E9.jpeg

8981CCFD-C621-45BB-A841-25D2C6B105A5.jpeg

2FD8BD7E-38F8-4893-83DA-BFD0007F1A48.jpeg

3883738C-B992-4B11-BA37-A2AEACBC5ED2.jpeg

782456B9-4AD7-4C13-A784-16676077A562.jpeg

Edited by K.o.N.o.S
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Greetings gents,

So I got my ABS issue sorted today. It took longer than I expected as the package got caught in the Christmas season rush. Finally the sensor arrived last week and got it fixed at my local mechanic. A very big thanks to @Hyaenidae for finding this sensor online. And also @trinity for your valuable advices as always. If it wasn’t for you guys I would have spent a thumping amount for a tiny sensor. So the timeline of finding the sensor

Unimo- quoted 32k

Place in pitakotte-25k

Place in panadura-15k

Ebay-6k (with shipping)

Finally took a risk and settled with eBay seller for an OEM sensor ( Mitsubishi part no- 4670A576) and have to say that the risk payed off. No more ABS indicators and ABS kicks in as expected. Happy happy..Managed to grab some pics.

D1E11D30-FF1C-4FB1-BA45-D41FB717F51E.jpeg

11AB014C-C648-4630-BA37-DAEFD2E704E9.jpeg

8981CCFD-C621-45BB-A841-25D2C6B105A5.jpeg

2FD8BD7E-38F8-4893-83DA-BFD0007F1A48.jpeg

3883738C-B992-4B11-BA37-A2AEACBC5ED2.jpeg

782456B9-4AD7-4C13-A784-16676077A562.jpeg

Glad you got it sorted out this way. That’s a big relief isn’t it? Happy to be of assistance ?. Cheers!

• Like 1